Author Topic: Ancient Datahand on fleabay  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Ancient Datahand on fleabay
« on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 11:41:53 »
I guess he's seen the last 4 or so new, pristine Pro II Datahands selling for $1000-$1,700 and thought it was time to jump on ride the wave...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400255168663?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1913wt_1398

Maybe a couple $75 offers will temper the $1,500 asking price. I can't even figure out what I could use from it as parts to experiment with.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 19:04:45 »
It doesn't look that old to me, and it has a case!

Still, it's a far cry from the nicest ones that have been selling high of late.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 10:45:46 »
Trust me, it's the first or second generation stuff, it's absolutely ancient. It's missing the palm pads so it looks like Play-Dough or some moldable silicone on the finger/hand area, and the press-down keys have been cut down in size. It's been modified in some way. I'm not positive, but this may be before the mouse was integrated into Datahand, since this is only a 3 layer model. The case, new, maybe $25-30.

As soon as it went up for sale I sent an email asking if it worked, or if it was complete. No response yet.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:24:23 »
I fired off a 70 dollar offer, half to support your crazy price drop theory, and half for the lulz.

I'd like to try a datahand but i doubt I would enjoy it enough to spend a grand on it.

EDIT: Hell, I don't know if there's much of ANYTHING i'd enjoy enough to spend a grand on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:26:28 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 20:10:05 »
Quote from: Internetlad;448847
EDIT: Hell, I don't know if there's much of ANYTHING i'd enjoy enough to spend a grand on.
I would for a lotus in british racing green.

I'm wondering what he'll make of your offer.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 20:45:34 »
Oh please do inform us of his counter offer! :laugh:

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 00:34:54 »
If he doesn't respond by tomorrow morning maybe i'll start bugging him about why he refuses to accept my offer lol.

Too far?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 00:50:42 »
I fired off a 70 dollar offer, half to support your crazy price drop theory, and half for the lulz.

I'd like to try a datahand but i doubt I would enjoy it enough to spend a grand on it.

Still no response on whether it works or not. It would kinda be funny if he got a half dozen offers all under $100. I just have a little 'dig' in me because of the $1500 asking price based on virtually unrelated items. It feels unethical. Anyhoo, I'll wait a day and maybe throw in a $75 offer once you get a response just to make you look like a cheap bastard. lol

Quote from: dorkvader;448904
I would for a lotus in british racing green.

I'm wondering what he'll make of your offer.

Nice taste, it's a great color on a fun car :)

Offline eagleeye

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 02:12:13 »
"Your offer price:    US $70.00"

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 03:23:35 »
Remind me and I'll throw one out there too.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 08:48:23 »
I'm gonna do $71 for the fun of it.

Your offer price:    US $71.00
Offer expires in:    47 hours 59 mins

There's three offers now!
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2011, 08:52:37 by dorkvader »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 10:15:18 »
lol now we can throw an offer of 125 in and he'll accept it straight off XD

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 10:43:40 »
Offer price:   $1,400.00

$1400 counteroffer. I'm surprised he even bothered. :p

What a great deal! Maybe I'll go up to $73!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 12:23:41 »
counteroffer at lower than your previous offer.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 12:29:23 »
Will ebay allow you to do that?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:09:30 »
Quote from: Internetlad;449250
lol now we can throw an offer of 125 in and he'll accept it straight off XD

Be careful, I'm not confident it's worth $125. We don't know if it works/what might be wrong with it/repairable. It's old, obsolete, been oddly modified, and no response from seller. The optical relays and the controller are the heart and soul of Datahand. The unit L/R cases and levers can be replaced. Buying it may just mean you need to buy another one for more parts, or go to Datahand to see what they have kicking around. Bottom line: Don't expect much at this point, and be pleasantly surprised if you score.

EDIT-
He sells a lot of old vintage stuff, some of it is pretty nifty. I doubt he knows the condition, looks like he may get this stuff in bulk or from storage abandonment. He has a big range of stuff, and a huge amount of feedback, so I don't blame him for the somewhat off-kilter listing. He probably paid almost nothing for the unit, did an ebay and google search for the price, but can probably get a couple hundred.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:18:34 by input nirvana »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:27:12 »
hotfire is considering your counteroffer   Nov-10-11 11:25:07 PST
Your counteroffer price:   US $65.00

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:46:22 »
Here is another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110773242103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

See the grey box? The L/R units plug into it. This unit does not have the 'thumb up switches'. I'm not sure if the older, modified unit should have the grey controller box. There were several mid-model changes before the Professional, Personal, and Professional II. The Personal and Professional II are the latest, modern units. The only difference is a $150 macro-capable chip that can be retrofitted.

Maybe he will sell it for whatever ($50-$100), and just shot out the $1,500 with high hopes. Good luck you guys, I'd love to hear and see a Datahand project on Geekhack and a new member of the Datahand family! :)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 14:01:05 »
i'm gonna keep spamming ****ty offers, TBH if i got it for 65 i'd be reluctant to even pay that, not because i'm not sure if it's worth it, but I just don't care enough about the datahand  lol

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 14:20:16 »
At that price plus shipping, there are (if nothing else) parts that can be worth it for some noodlers like me on GH. I would in theory pay $100. Eventually I'll take the thumb/finger switches and have them on the end of chair arms, or be portable. A new controller.

Offline eagleeye

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 14:32:05 »
Quote from: eagleeye;449134

DataHand Ergonomic Keyboard with carry case and Manual DATA HAND
Buy It Now price:   
$1,494.95Buy It Now

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 15:01:58 »
next offer is going to be 65 cents if he counters with something retarded like 1.35K

On another note, I had seen an auction claiming only 475 Datahands were ever made. Fact or fiction?

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 17:10:04 »
Quote from: dorkvader;449344
Will ebay allow you to do that?

I'm fairly sure they will.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 17:38:33 »
Quote from: Internetlad;449480
On another note, I had seen an auction claiming only 475 Datahands were ever made. Fact or fiction?

No, that may be referring to that particular model, I don't know. There are more units than that overall, but they obviously are not a high volume product.

Datahand actually allegedly has a bunch of the obsolete DH-200 models (which is what both of there auctions are) stored somewhere. I spoke to Lynn at Datahand about it once, and Webwit just mentioned it as well. So you got THAT to look forward to :)

As far as the ancient incomplete unit for $1500 or best offer, it currently shows 6 offers, but only 5 people, and one is declined with the remaining pending. I'm not involved in the auction, how many of the 5 are from here? Interesting 4 are still pending if at least one of them is in the $70 range. Keeping his options open. I think whatever he gets will be more than he paid, so I'm not feeling the urge to "help him out"...plus he never responded to my email whether it works or not.

As a footnote-
If anyone here gets it, we can evaluate it and if the optical switches work, we can put a custom controller in it. I'd be interested after the holidays once I hunt down the 2 pricks (companies) that owe me my income for the last half of 2011 (they both pulled bankruptcies), and yank their brand new cars, nice clothes and anything else of theirs that looks too ridiculously new and expensive for being allegedly penniless while I clean out my savings, sell off things, and have the same monthly budget as a minimum wage worker until I stabilize everything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2011, 17:56:14 by input nirvana »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 23:20:55 »
Quote from: input nirvana;450251
As a footnote-
If anyone here gets it, we can evaluate it and if the optical switches work, we can put a custom controller in it. I'd be interested after the holidays once I hunt down the 2 pricks (companies) that owe me my income for the last half of 2011 (they both pulled bankruptcies), and yank their brand new cars, nice clothes and anything else of theirs that looks too ridiculously new and expensive for being allegedly penniless while I clean out my savings, sell off things, and have the same monthly budget as a minimum wage worker until I stabilize everything.

That not only sounds grim, but would make an excellent movie starring a mark whalberg lookalike.

also i'm one of the offerers.

As for the matter of him not responding as to whether or not it works, he probably doesn't know (IE like one said, he gets this stuff out of a storage shed and flips it for the listed ebay price.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2011, 23:55:39 by Internetlad »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 12:46:47 »
Quote from: Internetlad;450390
That not only sounds grim, but would make an excellent movie starring a mark whalberg lookalike.

also i'm one of the offerers.

As for the matter of him not responding as to whether or not it works, he probably doesn't know (IE like one said, he gets this stuff out of a storage shed and flips it for the listed ebay price.)

I'm sure he doesn't know, and that's fine, but part of the all-so-important feedback score (and good customer service) is to respond with a yay, nay, I don't know. It's a business, and it's information an ethical seller will offer or respond with. I would go out of my way to do it, even to my own detriment, just because it's the right thing to do. But, no matter :)

Oddly, in reading above posts, if I understood correctly it sounds like he counter-offered a low-ball <$100 with almost the asking price? AND doesn't indicate if it works or not after he received at least one email inquiring? Not impressive.

I hope someone here gets it, el-cheapo. We all need a Datahand project :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 20:49:44 »
I fired off a 70 dollar offer

Quote from: eagleeye;449134

Quote from: dorkvader;449221
Your offer price:    US $71.00
Offer expires in:    47 hours 59 mins

There's three offers now!

Quote from: Quarzac;449144
Remind me and I'll throw one out there too.

Quote from: Internetlad;449377
hotfire is considering your counteroffer   Nov-10-11 11:25:07 PST
Your counteroffer price:   US $65.00

-------
Oddly, in reading above posts, if I understood correctly it sounds like he counter-offered a low-ball <$100 with almost the asking price? AND doesn't indicate if it works or not after he received at least one email inquiring? Not impressive.

It was me:
Quote from: dorkvader;449267

$1400 counteroffer. I'm surprised he even bothered. :p

What a great deal! Maybe I'll go up to $73!

Also, internetlad has done 2-3 offers, I think.
---
Edit:

hotfire is considering your offer    Nov-12-11 18:50:54 PST
Your offer price:    US $75.00
Offer expires in:    21 hours 25 mins

EDIT:
WTF?
Offer price:   $1,490.00

My first offer: $71
He counters: $1,400
I offer :$75
He counters: $1,490

Makes no sense!!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2011, 21:39:56 by dorkvader »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 13:39:56 »
I guess he's "mad?" at the low ball offer? But then he should respond to an email asking about the product or update the listing with the added info. Someone may offer $400 at the last minute, but that's the nature of an auction...for sellers AND buyers.

Since he never responded, I'll send a $50 offer and include a note that I assume it's incomplete/doesn't work.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31831[/ATTACH]

EDIT---Seller counter-offered $1,295.00
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2011, 14:11:34 by input nirvana »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 17:30:02 »
Quote from: input nirvana;451227
EDIT---Seller counter-offered $1,295.00

This just makes no sense at all: would not buy at any price.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 00:03:30 »
No one did. But you still can!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400256817725#ht_1913wt_1335

Relist at same price and no new info :(

Yawn

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 03:57:34 »
i offered him 55 bucks for it again. Lol maybe he'll finally get mad and bite. I'll email him tomorrow with a semi-insulting "I don't know what you think you're selilng, but it's not something worth 1.5K" deal.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 09:26:35 »
Quote from: Internetlad;451696
i offered him 55 bucks for it again. Lol maybe he'll finally get mad and bite. I'll email him tomorrow with a semi-insulting "I don't know what you think you're selilng, but it's not something worth 1.5K" deal.
You should also mention all his counteroffers, and how little sense they make.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 10:48:58 »
Quote from: dorkvader;451788
You should also mention all his counteroffers, and how little sense they make.

I'll get my passive-agressive face on.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 13:17:39 »
Be careful though. He has every right to ask whatever he wants, and sell for whatever he wants. Someone may or may not buy it at those prices. People spend way too much on things every day. But after a few tries, if he wants it to sell, the price will start coming down. He saw several selling for $1,000-$1,500 and so far people are trying to get it for less. That's the auction game. We know it's worth less than $100 to us, but to someone else it may be worth $300. Obviously it's not worth the $1,500 he's throwing out there :) but who knows?

His lack of answering emails with good honest questions, and the silly counter-offers is a bit maddening, I admit. Not the trait of a person I would choose to deal with.

I noticed he's an experienced fleabay seller.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 13:25:05 »
Who cares.  It's his Red Rocket Metal Bouncy Spring Space Shoes that I'm interested in.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31959[/ATTACH]
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 13:40:00 »
I'll throw $1,500 for those! Are those the coolest retro or what?

Lawsuit-city in the 21st century :)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 13:43:47 »
I wasn't planning a "strongly worded letter" if that's what you mean.

It's also possible it's a business that's been carried over by a team/one person to another. Again, like you say, lack of communication is worrying. I wouldn't want to be seriously looking at this item and talking to a brick wall like that.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 13:52:18 »
Don't bother me with the gold-plated Datahand, that's old news...I'm starting training for international distance and height competition with the RED-ROCKET-METAL-BOUNCY-SPRING-SPACE-SHOES. (The RRMBSSS-A-THON)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 13:58:55 »
Quote from: ripster;451955
Hahaha.  That's how I do ClickClack key pricing!

There's merit to that. With you and a Clicky-Clacky key cap, it is a known quantity of the product and the service.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 00:53:12 »
Well, I never got a response about whether it works or not, but look what the boy-genious added to the auction to belay my fears....

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32342[/ATTACH]

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 02:16:39 »
Quote from: input nirvana;454536
Well, I never got a response about whether it works or not, but look what the boy-genious added to the auction to belay my fears....

(Attachment Link) 32342[/ATTACH]

Dodgy.
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2