Author Topic: Key presses smoother with PBT & POM key caps vs. ABS  (Read 6167 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Key presses smoother with PBT & POM key caps vs. ABS
« on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:41:43 »
I'll preface this post with the prediction that the majority of you will say that there is no difference and I'm imagining things, but I swear I notice a difference.

My first keyboard with black switches was a Noppoo Choc Mini.  The Choc Mini has POM key caps and the keypresses using those key caps felt buttery smooth.  A few days later I acquired a Filco TKL Majestouch 1 with black switches.  Using the stock ABS key caps on the Filco, the key presses felt somewhat gritty and not smooth.  In fact it was nowhere near as smooth as the Noppoo.  At first I thought that maybe the black switches on the Filco needed to be broken in and that the grittiness would lessen or completely vanish overtime.  Fast forward to today, I receive a package of KBC PBT key caps in the mail.  I put those PBT key caps on the same Filco mentioned above and the grittiness of the switch has entirely disappeared.  I was using the Filco with stock ABS key caps not 3 hours before replacing the key caps with PBT ones and the Filco still felt gritty with the ABS key caps.

I'm puzzled by this.  There is a noticeable difference (inb4 Ripster states the McGurk effect).  Have you guys noticed this at all or am I completely imagining the difference?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:56:31 »
They weight of the cap may be damping any of that 'grittiness'.  You know, inertia.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:59:25 »
Quote from: ripster;449390
The McRip Effect!

Actually if you look at my Anti-Otaku mod (F3 sig) I include sound samples and feel comparisons.  I think it's thickness/density related.  PBT is denser per mm.

Plus The McRip Effect.  That's the sound part.  Kinda like McGurk effect.

This.  Any "grittiness" in the keypress would have to come from the switch itself.  The keycap can't influence that.  The keycap may influence tactility since, as Ripster noted, PBT caps are thicker.  The thicker caps may absorb some of the "shock" from a tactile bump in the switch (I noticed this comparing Cherry doubleshots to other caps on the same 'board).  Since you are using Cherry blacks, I doubt there would be much change in the overall switch feel, however, the caps themselves may feel different on your fingers.  Grittiness in new Cherry 'boards will go away after a week or two of good use, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it if it bothers you.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 14:00:15 »
Quote from: ripster;449390
The McRip Effect!

Actually if you look at my Anti-Otaku mod (F3 sig) I include sound samples and feel comparisons.  I think it's thickness/density related.  PBT is denser per mm.

Plus The McRip Effect.  That's the sound part.  Kinda like McGurk effect.

I read it over.  I can also hear a sound difference, though it's definitely a less prominent change than that which took place in the feel of the switch itself.

Quote from: alaricljs;449406
They weight of the cap may be damping any of that 'grittiness'.  You know, inertia.

Yeah, that could explain it.  I just thought I was going crazy for a second there.  Needed some confirmation or denial.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)