Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Release tomorrow  (Read 13366 times)

Offline wmtx

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Release tomorrow
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 13:34:09 »
Quote from: ripster;452614
Thank you for mentioning that.

I'll get the PS3 version.

My wife and I are both enjoying the PS3 version. We encountered 1-2 graphics bugs but otherwise it's quite enjoyable. It actually makes a more mature (software wise) impression than Oblivion.
Seriously, we enjoy that we can sit on the couch and can comfortably play "together", that is one is playing their story and the other is watching. The only thing that I miss in the console version is the ability to take screenshots.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 16:27:58 »
Quote from: ripster;452733
Plus it sounds like the dragons rumbling my two subwoofers will be awesome.

PS3>PC, especially in the Ripster subforum!

PS3>PC, especially in the Ripster subforum!

PS3>PC

*twitch*
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2011, 17:12:17 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 17:33:13 »
http://videos.pcgames.de/hdvideo/5531/The-Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Grafikvergleich-PCPS3Xbox360

latest pc vs console skyrim version i can find is in german, but videos tell all, seems the same to me. The best experience I had was playing skyrim on my projector, freaking big dragon coming down on you with volume up and rumble on, actually pretty intense. Oh dragon slaying is the funnest part.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 19:16:41 »
The PC screens I have seen, at least on high have looked significantly better than consoles. What's sad is games like this are very limited by old console hardware now. BF3 is a good example.

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 21:41:37 »
Completed Dark Brotherhood quest line, started cheating a little bit into the game 'cause Skyrim is boring. Noclipping through walls at light speeds \:D/
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline slueth

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 21:52:05 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;452956
The PC screens I have seen, at least on high have looked significantly better than consoles. What's sad is games like this are very limited by old console hardware now. BF3 is a good example.

Sent from my EVO
How is bf3 limited to old consoles. the pc version has 64 people servers also the graphics are a lot better.  It wasn't a console port as much as skyrim is.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 21:55:22 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;452956

Sent from my EVO

If it save you some bucks from upgrading the PC (can easily go beyond the cost of consoles) I don't see it as an issue but a plus.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline ironman31

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 22:36:19 »
I'm about 28 hours in and I've run into a few bugs. A major one was that my archery skill was permanently debuffed 20 points, but this was an easy console command fix.

I'm not too sure about all this complaining with the graphics, I think the game looks great, with a few textures a little bland. But that's easily fixable with a texture mod, which is up for a good amount of the trees in the game.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 23:17:17 »
Quote from: slueth;453008
How is bf3 limited to old consoles. the pc version has 64 people servers also the graphics are a lot better.  It wasn't a console port as much as skyrim is.

I meant the opposite in that BF3 is so much better on the PC. The consoles have no advantage.

Console hardware is old so newer games are starting to show how old the hardware really is.

Sent from my EVO

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 23:20:26 »
Quote from: pitashen;453009
If it save you some bucks from upgrading the PC (can easily go beyond the cost of consoles) I don't see it as an issue but a plus.

In a vaccuum, PC is probably the best, but if you need to upgrade a ton JUST for skyrim, maybe not. The interface for sure needs help.

Sent from my EVO

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline pitashen

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 02:18:14 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;453041
In a vaccuum, PC is probably the best, but if you need to upgrade a ton JUST for skyrim, maybe not. The interface for sure needs help.

Sent from my EVO

The interface is certainly not the best for pc... but I eventually got used to it..(but if u are talking about ESDF remap issue then ya it sucks) I guess it is because I have had worse. I played FFXI for a while and boy! that was some real joystick friendly interface I had to deal with. lol

Offline Lanx

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 04:48:04 »
i did 100 blacksmithing... didn't even think about doing it until i saw the end 100skill was dragonbone armor, 75 levels of blacksmithing also levels you up up like 10 regular levels heh, if anyone wants spoilers i'll say how i did it, took 4hours?anyway dragonbone armor isn't that great armor wise compared to just steel (both refined to legendary) but my last character had like 50 dragonbones i wanted to do something with it, for the newest character.

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 07:26:16 »
Must suck playing Skryim with no cheats :(

I don't find Skyrim fun at all to be honest, I only enjoyed Morrowind from the series, Oblivion was bad.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline ironman31

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 07:57:28 »
Quote from: Bilbin;453173
Must suck playing Skryim with no cheats :(

I don't find Skyrim fun at all to be honest, I only enjoyed Morrowind from the series, Oblivion was bad.

You are crazy
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline popol

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 08:09:46 »
I haven't tried Skyrim but sounds consolized. I hope it's not the case on PC or that it will be corrected with patches and by mods from the community.
All I can say is that Morrowind was Excellent and Oblivion sucks ass.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 08:41:11 »
Quote from: popol;453189
I haven't tried Skyrim but sounds consolized. I hope it's not the case on PC or that it will be corrected with patches and by mods from the community.
All I can say is that Morrowind was Excellent and Oblivion sucks ass.

I don't think it has that much. I actually like the inventory, you can access everything without using the mouse. And this is starting to sound like the whole PING issue.... At least now they use words to distinguish between sections of your inventory, not those damn pictures and tabs in oblivion.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline Foodmanchew

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 09:17:43 »
Here's a nice picture that sums up some of the issues with the UI and what could be done to alleviate some of the issues. http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5679/skyriminterface.jpg

Offline ironman31

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 09:27:21 »
lol, very true.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline pitashen

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 10:01:39 »
Quote from: ironman31;453183
You are crazy

You can't blame a person who played hardcore on Morrowind ended up not liking Oblivion nor Skyrim. I am just glad that there can still be RPG that I can enjoy with its visual and content.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 10:27:29 by pitashen »

Offline pitashen

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 10:27:03 »
Quote from: Foodmanchew;453221
Here's a nice picture that sums up some of the issues with the UI and what could be done to alleviate some of the issues. http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5679/skyriminterface.jpg

I think the UI works quite well for joystick control as it is (not without flaw of course) and is actually an improvement over Oblivion (which was also designed with console in mind). I find things a lot easier to navigate in skyrim over the oblivion (I am on PC). Text based inventory sure is not the best way to do it, but from a person who played quite a bit of J RPGs, I find myself adjusting to it fairly quickly.

Just wait for the mods to make things better for you.

IMO, Bethesda made the right move by streamlining the UI and dumb down a lot of character development process. It makes the game a lot more accessible for younger gen (those who are more used to things like GTA and FPS) or new comer of the series from older gen gamers who no longer have the time to get all hyped up by all the "depth" and the "sophistication" games used to have. Bethesda's got an army of game developer to feed. So be it if thats what it take to keep up the series and the genre of RPG.

Overall, i am just glad that it is still released on PC.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 10:33:07 by pitashen »

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 10:33:49 »
How hard it is to give one or two devs a job: "Make nice mouse and keyboard based UI for PC ok?" and then allow people to choose between one for PC and one for consoles. It can't cost more that much...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline pitashen

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 10:45:16 »
Quote from: Ekaros;453260
How hard it is to give one or two devs a job: "Make nice mouse and keyboard based UI for PC ok?" and then allow people to choose between one for PC and one for consoles. It can't cost more that much...

It might be much, or they might be lazy, or they could assume since it works well on console, it should work fine on PC as well. I think it DOES work fine on PC albeit not being most efficient UI for PC. I am sure it is not a deal breaker for any of us playing the game on PC, especially when there are fan mods that will be available in the future.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:23:10 »
i remember ffxiv getting the same flack for basically porting over console control to the PC, console is very limiting. It's why i don't play archer on skyrim on the 360, drawing a bow, aiming then firing is too clunky on the controller.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 14:17:16 »
Bugs aren't always bad.

[video=youtube;7azNpid9rGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azNpid9rGQ[/video]

Offline Malphas

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 17:52:47 »
Quote from: ripster;453528
I think the shelf space for the PS3 version alone eclipsed the entire PC SW shelf space.

That's because everyone uses Steam for PC games, not retail stores.

Ahem..................

Source

That's because everyone uses Steam for PC games, not retail stores.

2011 is fast becoming the year games debuted at incredible numbers, as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim sells over 3.4 million copies at retail (not including digital sales) in its first 2 days on sale.

So you can at least double the PC figure, which means it probably outsold the PS3 version (your console of choice right?), hilarious, ha ha.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 17:56:25 »
Quote from: Malphas;453430
Bugs aren't always bad.

[video=youtube;7azNpid9rGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azNpid9rGQ[/video]

This is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 18:08:57 »
2 to 1, eh?  Hardly the death knell of PC gaming really, is it?  Especially considering the PC share of multi-platform sales has risen comparatively to console ones over the last few years.  Clutching at straws.

Also more Deus Ex:

[video=youtube;xT5s5lxfoLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT5s5lxfoLA[/video]

Offline Malphas

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 18:14:11 »
It's the future of all gaming, consoles are just behind the curve (like your viewpoints on gaming in general, ha ha).  I've said this in the PC vs Consoles thread in your subforum already.  I don't like it, but I don't confuse what I want to be reality with what's actually happening (like you seem to be doing).  Look at Wii and DS sales vs 360/PS3, or the amount of Angry Birds knockoffs trying to imitate its success.  It's obvious where the largest sector of the gaming market is headed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 18:22:27 by Malphas »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 18:26:18 »
Basically to use ripster logic: MGS4 has had about 5 million sales, Angry Birds has had about 500 million - ergo console gaming is dead.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 18:31:04 »
Like I said earlier, I'll get it when it's there's a GOTY edition. DLCs being released mid-game or after I've completed it ruins it for me.  I played a bit at my friend's place earlier, it seemed alright.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 19:08:51 »
Quote from: Malphas;453564
Angry Birds knockoffs trying to imitate its success.  It's obvious where the largest sector of the gaming market is headed.

I don't see how the success of angry birds as being anything that's ground breaking. Think games like Mario bro and Space Invaders. Those "casual" game studios like Rovio are not reinventing the wheel of gaming but merely going back to the basics.

Look at LA Noir, the studio went bankrupt right after the game was released despite it being a success. That tells a lot about the modern days of "hardcore" game making
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 19:14:13 by pitashen »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 19:11:57 »
Never said it was.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 19:15:26 by Malphas »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 19:14:57 »
Sellotape the controller so you're running into a corner and leave it overnight?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 22:19:19 »
Quote from: pitashen;453615
I don't see how the success of angry birds as being anything that's ground breaking. Think games like Mario bro and Space Invaders. Those "casual" game studios like Rovio are not reinventing the wheel of gaming but merely going back to the basics.

Look at LA Noir, the studio went bankrupt right after the game was released despite it being a success. That tells a lot about the modern days of "hardcore" game making

Agree with this.  I read something interesting a while back that asserted that the gaming market is splitting in three.  You have the "new" breed of casual games that have a lot in common with old arcade games.  The main innovation here is integration with social platforms.  Then you have "interactive movies" which is where the expensive, graphically intense, story-driven FPS games are headed.  The third category is competitive games like Starcraft and Street Fighter 4.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 12:31:28 »
so like if you do conjuration you can summon pets, i haven't seen any "master" spells yet i've only seen expert there's an expert spell called summon demora lord, or something, and it's basically a demon with a 2hander that has fire damage, this guy is awesome lol he says stuff like "i'll honor my lord by killing you" stuff like that, i'm like 5 away from 100 conjuration which will let me summon 2x pets, which brings up an issue i have.

i have the dog companion and my constant house carl lydia, why don't i see their hp? every modern game that has "followers" or "companions" show their hp meter, i mean i constantly have to look around for my dumb lydia and make sure she isn't on the ground kneeling and dying, which is often (and doesn't make sense cuz i have 100smithing and i gave her a full set of dragon armor). Truthfully i wouldn't even want a follower cuz they are annoying, she's just a good "pack mule" you know to carry loot. I'd also like to see hp of my pet's, i mean i don't know if my pets die or they're alive, i have to listen for them speaking and go "oh i don't have to recast", cuz i'm at the point now where i just enter a dungeon, literally run through it and my pets/companions will just kill everything and i don't have to lift a finger.

I mean it's true the interface even if it is made for the console is wholefully horrible.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 13:37:21 »
Quote from: Lanx;454888
so like if you do conjuration you can summon pets, i haven't seen any "master" spells yet i've only seen expert there's an expert spell called summon demora lord, or something, and it's basically a demon with a 2hander that has fire damage, this guy is awesome lol he says stuff like "i'll honor my lord by killing you" stuff like that, i'm like 5 away from 100 conjuration which will let me summon 2x pets, which brings up an issue i have.

i have the dog companion and my constant house carl lydia, why don't i see their hp? every modern game that has "followers" or "companions" show their hp meter, i mean i constantly have to look around for my dumb lydia and make sure she isn't on the ground kneeling and dying, which is often (and doesn't make sense cuz i have 100smithing and i gave her a full set of dragon armor). Truthfully i wouldn't even want a follower cuz they are annoying, she's just a good "pack mule" you know to carry loot. I'd also like to see hp of my pet's, i mean i don't know if my pets die or they're alive, i have to listen for them speaking and go "oh i don't have to recast", cuz i'm at the point now where i just enter a dungeon, literally run through it and my pets/companions will just kill everything and i don't have to lift a finger.

I mean it's true the interface even if it is made for the console is wholefully horrible.

Given how bad the companion AI is, I never bothered with them. That being said, Shadowmare is probably the best pet/horse u can get. It never dies and would fight alongside with you to death (did I just say it never dies?). Killed a couple of dragons with ease when the dragon would just try to kill shadowmare without giving a crap about me.

Nevertheless, I deleted the game. It is too life draining :(

Offline Clickey

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 15:31:49 »
DO NOT CHEAT! Once you go down that path there is no turning back. When I found out you could just edit everything in Morrowind through the console, it ruined the game for me. After weeks of amazing gameplay it took one hour of cheating to bore me into never playing the game again.

Voice powers are so badass. I like going into shops and just blasting everything off the shelves. I can see how rumble would make the game more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2011, 15:34:13 by Clickey »
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Clickey

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 15:43:33 »
Team Bondi ran into a stingray. Crickey!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:01:04 »
oh btw just found what happens when you get past i would guess 75? conjouring.

goto the college and talk to the bald guy, if you can't find him he's on the first floor of the hall of C. (contenance?) find him there, if he isn't there, skip to like 12am or sleeping time, and he'll be asleep in bed, lol wake him up (this is what i do for wandering NPC's find their bed and time skip to them sleeping), there's a last option, train me more or something, you do a mini quest and you get lvl 100 spell, well it's not level 100 just that it costs 437 mana and unless you dump tons of leveling into magicka, you need the level 100 perk 50% less master spells. It's a permanent flame chick, and since you're level 100, you can have 2.

she's not as powerful as the demora lord, and not as cool, but you never have to summon a pet unless you die, or you get totally owned and i think the master pet cannot be turned against you. I tested this out against the powerful mask guy at shearpoint and my master fire pets were still loyal to me after he died, but the 2 demora lords turned on me.

anyone thinks it's funny they have an orc (usually in fantasy the dumbest race) as the librarian? and

spoiler.

how they have the only place to get married in the skeeviest town? (riften)

i'll post up other cool stuff i can find, i'm guessing all the college stuff is like this past 75 alteration/restoration/destruction you get some kind of master spell mini quest.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 03:04:28 »
Thanks for steering me to the PS3 version Geekhack!
(Attachment Link) 32258[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't buy console version of Bethesda games. You need the game console a lot to fix bugginess of certain quests.  I'd go as far as far as calling Bethesda as inept in programming and scripting. IMO it's the user mods/fixes that make Bethesda games great. I've made alot of mods and junk for the ES series/Fallout3 over the past 8-9 years. I am still using the nick I created for modding Fallout3 (been banned from the nexus many times).

Offline Clickey

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 14:57:28 »
Quote from: laffindude;455960
I wouldn't buy console version of Bethesda games. You need the game console a lot to fix bugginess of certain quests.  I'd go as far as far as calling Bethesda as inept in programming and scripting. IMO it's the user mods/fixes that make Bethesda games great. I've made alot of mods and junk for the ES series/Fallout3 over the past 8-9 years. I am still using the nick I created for modding Fallout3 (been banned from the nexus many times).

When you make a game THAT enormous and flush with content there is just no way to find every little thing that can go wrong. I would rather have the game released than wait another year so testers can try and find as many bugs as possible (there still would be bugs left because there is just too many possibilities, which is why the games are great). If they were small scale games like any other, it would be easy to spot bugs.