Author Topic: Investing in a mech keyboard.  (Read 5134 times)

Offline 443330

Investing in a mech keyboard.
« on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 06:06:06 »
Hi everyone. First of all would like to say thank you to everyone who reviews their products so well so that people can make the right decision when buying. I have read through lots of reviews and posts but I am still not 100% sure which keyboard I should get.
Ideally I would want the Filco Ninja tenkeyless but the price is around 200-230 NZD. So then I thought possibly the CM Storm quick fire rapid but those come with a silver backing unless you get the reds which then has Chinese keys and I think works out at around 150 NZD (can you get the CM Storm reds with only english characters?). Then I saw the Noppoo Choc mini and really liked the layout just not the keys used, but I can get the Choc mini for around 120 NZD. Most likely I will go with MX black switches because I do a lot of fps gaming and these are recommended by some plus their the cheapest. To make matters worse I haven't even started looking into Duckys or Leopolds or the many other keyboards out there. There is just so much to take in.
So please share your advice/opinions and if there is any tenkeyless mech keyboards that I have missed which are fairly cheap but good contenders and also the cheapest place to buy them from.
Cheers all
Just had a look at a KBC Poker Cherry MX 40% it has the same layout as the Noppo Choc mini but with nice keys. But I haven't seen many people with these? is there a reason why?

Offline Rafen

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 06:45:23 »
Welcome to geekhack. I own a Leopold and it is superb quality. If you are trying to save some money I would recommend looking in the classifieds section of this site for a board because you could find a great deal. For you switches you can use anyone you want it is all personal preference. I play fps games and I have both a keyboard with brown switches and one with blue. I don't have a problem gaming on either keyboard try to keep that in mind when looking for a keyboard.

Offline 443330

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 06:48:25 »
Hey, thanks for the welcome. I will keep an eye out but I have been reading up about mech boards for some time now and am getting impatient :P
I think I will go for the blacks or the reds. I am really liking the layout of the Noppo Choc Mini and KBC Poker boards.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 06:54:06 »
They are nice boards from what people have said in reviews. If you are going to use the board for everyday use and gaming, I would recommend the reds as people have said  that it's like "typing on boobies".

Offline 443330

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 06:58:48 »
Well thats a plus I guess :P, I am at the moment quite excited about the KBC Poker tenkeyless, it has reds and pbt caps.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 07:24:23 »

Offline 443330

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 07:29:09 »
Hey thanks, but I live in New Zealand :c
So most likely I will buy from qtan or pchome or ebay, unless you know any other good places?
CHeers

fossala

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 08:20:28 »
I bought my poker from qtan. Turned up the day after he posted. The caps lock key was crap though (the window keeps falling out) but he offered a replacement (I didn't take it as I am buying new caps for it anyway).

Offline 443330

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 08:26:07 »
So was the Poker your first mech kb? How do you like it? And do you have any regrets?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 10:03:32 »
Personally I think you should try to find some random cheap and probably used stuff to get an idea of what you might like. Because buying blacks and then deciding that they are too strong for you or the opposite for reds would really suck. Especially given where you are and the fact that you will have to buy something from out-of-country and to sell it again you'd have to ship it out. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-MX-8000-POS-card-swipe-keyboard-PS2-WHITE-SWITCH-/370556436188?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item5646e27edc

or a model m or whatever else. The usual advice is just to buy some stuff from the classifieds, compare them next to each other for a bit and then sell the rest that you won't keep. But that doesn't really work given where you are.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline 443330

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 10:20:46 »
Hey thanks for the advice. I don't think I would be too picky about either the blacks or the reds. Id imagine it would be miles ahead of my membrane keyboard I currently have.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 17:27:16 »
Well you should be able to narrow it down somewhat though even without physically trying anything. Don't just listen to "this is for FPS". The only difference between black and red is the strength. Do you like the idea of the feel of just pushing directly against a spring on all of your keys (with the force going up as expected with any ol spring)? That's those linears.

Or would you like a distinct bump and/or click with activation? You can watch youtube vids of model m's or cherry blues for an idea of how they'd sound. Stuff like that should let you lower the amount of stuff you're really looking at.

Personally I like the clickyness. I just think you should do everything you can to be as certain as you can be without having something in front of you. Although it could be I was influenced by this acer board having been my first mech board (and from having used it for a couple of years before anything else), it's pretty clicky.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline 443330

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 18:52:00 »
Yeah I totally agree. I want to be absolutely sure that im happy with my purchase. Are reds linear like the blacks? and just require less actuation force? or do they have some sort of tactile feedback? I am really digging the layout of the Noppo Choc mini and the KBC Poker boards. They are just so compact so if there is any other mechs which have similar lay outs please tell me.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 19:03:08 »
you are correct....Reds are linear like blacks but require less force to actuate them.

I have a poker and had a noppo/// did like both. Depends if you want dedicated arrow keys and function row like the noppoo.

Its not much smaller than a tenkeyless, I almost felt you weren't saving much space from a tenkeyless to it versus the poker, size wise... but if you can get it cheaper than a filco or cm storm then its good keyboard. I defintely want to get one again but in white.

Another side note..also have the cm storm and its comparable to the filco for a much more reasonable price than the filcos. The chinese characters didnt bother me at all and if you get the browns/blues it cheaper also.

Here's a pic for comparison of all 3:

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 November 2011, 19:11:13 by jpm804 »
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline 443330

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 19:30:14 »
Hey thanks for the size comparison! If you could name a few other good quality cheap mech board in this range that are worth looking at I would be very grateful.
I can get the Noppo Choc mini with MX blacks for $120 off qtans website, But the KBC Poker one with PBT caps and red switches would set me back $165 NZD. Is it worth it?
Also what is is like buying off pchome? I am interested in their $10 USD shipping, its so cheap.

Offline popol

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 19:36:06 »
Make sure to get a big ass enter key keyboard.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 19:43:13 »
Quote from: 443330;450311
Hey thanks for the size comparison! If you could name a few other good quality cheap mech board in this range that are worth looking at I would be very grateful.
I can get the Noppo Choc mini with MX blacks for $120 off qtans website, But the KBC Poker one with PBT caps and red switches would set me back $165 NZD. Is it worth it?
Also what is is like buying off pchome? I am interested in their $10 USD shipping, its so cheap.

Have you looked at the ml-plu 87 it comes in reds and is pretty affordable...

as far as the poker with PBT's, those PBT's i heard wear our quickly so better go with the ABS save some money and either go with the engraved set in the future.

Offline 443330

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 20:07:01 »
Where did you hear they wear out quicker? I saw a review on here I believe comparing them to Filco pbt keys and they were almost identical. Right now im comparing the KBS with reds and PBT keys with the Noppo Choc mini with blacks and abs keys. The price difference between the two is $37. Not a large price considering the KBS looks more neat with less colors on the keys.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 21:52:58 »
What? ABS is a joke to PBT longevity wise. This is a general statement though, so I suppose it's possible there is something horribly wrong with those.

Offline 443330

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 02:33:55 »
Hey yea, I understand pbt is generally the more superior plastic, from what I have gathered the main reason is it takes much longer for your keys to get shiney. I don't see a huge problem with shiny keys myself unless I am missing something. Also I hear people like the feel of pbt more.

fossala

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 02:54:11 »
Poker was not my first mechanical, it is a good keyboard but could be better built. The worst thing for me is that there is no stabilizer on the caps key (I remap mine to control.)

Offline 443330

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 02:58:13 »
I see, I have read about the build and heard it is not the best. Thanks for your input the more the merrier. I see some people just reading but they don't offer any input whether this is because they haven't had any experience or they don't want to offend my choices. I welcome all advice. :)

fossala

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 03:00:34 »
If it is your first mechanical get an IBM model m. You can pick them up cheap and they will last you a lifetime.

fossala

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 03:01:30 »
Quote from: jpm804;450316
Have you looked at the ml-plu 87 it comes in reds and is pretty affordable...

as far as the poker with PBT's, those PBT's i heard wear our quickly so better go with the ABS save some money and either go with the engraved set in the future.
I agree I got the pbt and the lettering is already fading and I have only had it for 3 weeks.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 03:10:16 »
Quote from: 443330;450325
Where did you hear they wear out quicker? I saw a review on here I believe comparing them to Filco pbt keys and they were almost identical. Right now im comparing the KBS with reds and PBT keys with the Noppo Choc mini with blacks and abs keys. The price difference between the two is $37. Not a large price considering the KBS looks more neat with less colors on the keys.

Quote from: fossala;450447
I agree I got the pbt and the lettering is already fading and I have only had it for 3 weeks.

Sorry this might be more of a generalization of the ones I have seen periodically and some in the past i have seen for sale....

I defintely havent seen a specific topic or long term tests of it fading... I'm not saying all PBT keycaps act this way its just what I have observed with the ones that ship with the poker.

Offline 443330

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 03:11:39 »
I would get the Model M but it is just too noisy, I would wake up my parents in the room next to me. That's also why I am going to with reds or blacks. Wow PBT fading after only 3 months sounds like ABS is the way to go then. The ml-plu 87 with reds does look quite nice. If you have any experience with one please share.
Also I have a friend in Japan who may be able to purchase a board over there and send it to me. What are the cheapest places to get good mech boards over there?

fossala

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 03:12:23 »
Quote from: jpm804;450449
Sorry this might be more of a generalization of the ones I have seen periodically and some in the past i have seen for sale....

I defintely havent seen a specific topic or long term tests of it fading... I'm not saying all PBT keycaps act this way its just what I have observed with the ones that ship with the poker.
All pbt keycaps don't, go get yourself lasered or dyesubed.

Offline 443330

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 03:23:26 »
I would like to but wouldn't that add around 45 usd?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 11:16:06 »
That sounds like the PBT on the poker has printed lettering or something. It still will in the long run outlast their ABS version as far as wear and shinyness goes, but may lose the lettering faster. That would be the trade off. I've ended up with a few boards where I don't have lettering anymore (because the keys went too dark in order to fix them) and I don't really care personally either way.

There is also blank and engraved as the other options for PBT.

That $45 price would be about right for a new set manufactured now. You could buy an old lasered set from somebody as well, that would be cheaper. But if it was $37 is the difference, you could buy the cheaper board and just get replacements from qtan or someone else.

Offline Ink`Eyes

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 12:03:44 »
I really like the layout of my noppoo but they lettering on the keys are already starting to wear out and I've only had the board for 2 months.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 12:37:50 »
Some people also seem to cause that sort of thing much faster than others.

My ancient used boards laugh though, because none of them have any fading letters. Even the acer which I've tested and has ABS keys.

Offline ClackHead

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 14:29:22 »
Quote from: jpm804;450295
you are correct....Reds are linear like blacks but require less force to actuate them.

I have a poker and had a noppo/// did like both. Depends if you want dedicated arrow keys and function row like the noppoo.

Its not much smaller than a tenkeyless, I almost felt you weren't saving much space from a tenkeyless to it versus the poker, size wise... but if you can get it cheaper than a filco or cm storm then its good keyboard. I defintely want to get one again but in white.

Another side note..also have the cm storm and its comparable to the filco for a much more reasonable price than the filcos. The chinese characters didnt bother me at all and if you get the browns/blues it cheaper also.

Here's a pic for comparison of all 3:

Forgive my ignorance but what is the keyboard in the middle?

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. Sometimes I'm embarrassingly lazy/dumb.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2011, 14:32:16 by ClackHead »

Filco Majestouch TKL MXBlue

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 15:59:00 »
All I could find is the KBC PBT vs filco ABS and another one about staining laser infill.

Where is that?