Author Topic: First Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 1718 times)

Offline jasonxfri13th

First Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 13:23:41 »
Hi, I have been researching mechanical keyboards for quite some time now as I would love to get one for xmas.
After having read through the wiki, countless threads, and scoured the web for any information, I have narrowed it down to either a Filco or Ducky keyboard with browns.
I play games mostly on my keyboard but I also have to type essays for college, so I thought I should get something good for both.

Right now I have a Razer Lycosa which surprisingly after three years has no problems or any bleeding what so ever. I have really learned to like the back lighting. I can type pretty well without seeing the keys but I don't know where all of the symbols are and I would make a few mistakes before I had my back lighted keyboard.
Back lighting is not necessary but would be a welcomed feature. It also has to be relatively quiet, which is why I chose browns for no clicky sound.

So right now I am looking at the Filco Majestouch 2 for $149 at amazon, the Ducky with browns and PBT for $140, and the Ducky Shine with ABS for $146.
It seems most people agree that Filco has better build quality than the Ducky, but I'm not sure if the Filco has PBT which seems to make it last longer and feel better. I also am not sure if getting the Ducky Shine is worth losing the PBT and if it would simply not last very long due to the back lighting.
I don't plan on hoarding many different keyboards and would like to have one to last me at least another three years, I think if my crappy razer can a mechanical one surely will.

Thanks for any help!

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 13:31:45 »
Quote from: jasonxfri13th;456199
I'm not sure if the Filco has PBT

It doesn't, comes with ABS. You can buy a set of PBT key caps if you're so inclined.

Quote from: jasonxfri13th;456199
if it would simply not last very long due to the back lighting

Are you worried that the back-lighting will affect the wear of the keycap? If so, don't. Unless you change all the LEDs to UV emitters, it won't cause the ABS to deteriorate.

PS: If you buy a Rosewill from Newegg when it's on discount, you can have enough money left over to get a set of PBT caps. That would give you Filco build quality + PBT key caps for around $150.

PPS: Well made ABS caps are pretty hardy, the advantages of PBT are somewhat exaggerated. qtan claims the Shine's key caps are "very strong" or something like that, no way to tell until people use it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 November 2011, 13:34:57 by REVENGE »
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline jasonxfri13th

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 13:50:50 »
If I bought the ducky shine could I get pbt caps for it? And I guess if I really wanted to I could eventually replace the filco with pbt. I would rather have a better quality keyboard since you can't replace that.
I've just read a lot of people saying that the filco overall just feels higher quality than the ducky.

Offline trax

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 14:10:25 »
Quote from: jasonxfri13th;456217
If I bought the ducky shine could I get pbt caps for it? And I guess if I really wanted to I could eventually replace the filco with pbt. I would rather have a better quality keyboard since you can't replace that.
I've just read a lot of people saying that the filco overall just feels higher quality than the ducky.

Not sure if there are PBT caps for backlit boards...
Also, Ducky looks like some Chinese toy imo.

I'd do what REVENGE said, get a Rosewill (or Leopold?) and PBT caps.
Make sure to read this: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:16648
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline jasonxfri13th

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 16:25:51 »
Why get rosewill over filco? I don't mind spending an extra $50 later on for pbt keys.

Offline trax

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 16:39:01 »
Quote from: jasonxfri13th;456308
Why get rosewill over filco? I don't mind spending an extra $50 later on for pbt keys.

I said rosewill as they are around $50 cheaper the then the filco's and have red switches (not sure if filco has them actually).
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 16:48:45 »
Selling 2 Rosewills with PBT caps as well as other mods http://tinyurl.com/7725ap8

Offline jasonxfri13th

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 18:22:27 »
Quote from: trax;456317
I said rosewill as they are around $50 cheaper the then the filco's and have red switches (not sure if filco has them actually).

I want the brown switches though.
I think I will end up getting the filco and then if I really think I need PBT caps I'll buy them, money isn't much of an issue and I would rather go with higher build quality and wait a little for new caps.
I wouldn't want to buy a rosewill and then decide to get a Filco, I might as well start from the top.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 22:22:33 »
Quote from: jasonxfri13th;456308
Unless you care about the name, they are nearly the same. (As in made by the same OEM) However, if money is no object, then buy the Filco and be happy!
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 November 2011, 22:25:11 by REVENGE »
◕ ‿ ◕