Author Topic: Anyone used a 3D mouse?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Semaj

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 23:01:23 »
I saw a 3D mouse (SpacePilot mouse) today on computer that had been setup for doing 3D work, and was wandering if anyone here had used them and what they are like/ how they work?

Offline kps

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 10:53:43 »
I have a Spaceball 5000 USB, which I bought second-hand for around $50. As a 3D controller, I use it in Google's Ketchup and occasionally Google Earth; it requires specific support from application software. It's nice.

On the other hand, the company actively anti-supports older hardware. If you buy a new device expect it to be orphaned sooner rather than later.

Offline rabf

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 14:07:40 »
If you run linux try the spacenav driver:

The spacenav project provides a free, compatible alternative to the proprietary 3Dconnexion device driver and SDK, for their 3D input devices (called "space navigator", "space pilot", "space traveller", etc).

I have a serial spacenav 4000 flx. Its a great piece of kit. Wish more software was designed for it.

Offline Dox

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 14:24:49 »
I've been using a 3d mouse (Space explorer) for the last 5 years for all my 3d work (mostly SolidWorks) and I couldn't live without it. You use it to move your 3D model with small displacement of the controller in any of the 6 axis. It's a much more effective way to navigate in a model than dragging and zooming with the mouse.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline yifanzhang

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 19:15:32 »
Yeah, I have a Spacepilot that I use for CAD.  With the new beta drivers, you can also get it to emulate a regular mouse or joystick with automatic profile switching based on application.  As a regular mouse, you can use it almost like a trackball, but with higher sensitivity.

Offline NamelessPFG

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 16:07:20 »
They're pretty neat. Note that I use my SpacePilot as a modern alternative to the old SpaceOrb 360, though, which means I use it as more of a gaming peripheral (with the help of GlovePIE and PPJoy).

They go especially well with games like Descent or Independence War that permit full 6DoF movement, as you'd expect. Unfortunately, a few other games start acting up with it plugged in, resulting in crashes and uncontrollability and other nastiness.

However, you definitely should heed that warning about 3Dconnexion devices being rife with planned obsolescence. It actually took some lobbying on the forums to get them to support the original SpacePilot in the 3DxWare 10 beta.

Offline Findecanor

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 00:50:57 »
I'd call the SpacePilot a 3D joystick. This is a 3D pointing device. (more info)
🍉

Offline NamelessPFG

Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 12:54:11 »
That thing looks more like a Novint Falcon with a really long arm and full 6DoF instead of a mere 3DoF.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Anyone used a 3D mouse?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 00:16:32 »
I have the space navigator but I almost never use it anymore because I'm not making many 3d models nowadays
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |