Author Topic: Browns or clears  (Read 1284 times)

Offline kwantz

Browns or clears
« on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 22:33:04 »
I notice clears are more readily available over here in north america now. I own a Leopold Brown.  I find them sort of to light and I wish they had a bit more tactility. Would I be ok with getting clears? or should I stay with what I have now?  I dont want blues, way to loud, but I kind of like how my browns are lighter, but just wish they had a bit more tactilty to them.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Browns or clears
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 22:53:50 »
I thought I would like the added tactility of clear, and I do but... they are heavy as hell. They are even heavier feeling than blacks due to the bigger tactile point. My dad really likes it, so it will be his Xmas present. If you need something heavier it would be a good choice.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Browns or clears
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 23:12:20 »
Yup, clears will feel reeeally heavy coming from browns.  Personally I don't like them.  Ergo clears might be something to consider.  They're like super-tactile browns.

Offline pitashen

Browns or clears
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 23:18:07 »
Always go for brown when you are confused and in doubt. Brown is almost any newb's safest bet.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Browns or clears
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 23:25:42 »
I definitely love the clears. I feel a lot more like I'm floating across the keys than I do with blues. I have no experience with browns to compare to, sadly.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Gerk

Browns or clears
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 08:01:42 »
Clears are MUCH heavier (touch wise) than browns, or at least they feel that way -- but at the same time they are also much more tactile.  I'm still on the fence with the TKL with clears I just picked up last week.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them as clears, do the ergo clears mod, or just flip the board and replace it with something else ... I do like the idea of ergo clears, but I've also read bad things about them (like keys being slow to return after you've pressed them) .. and the mod to make them info ergo's is a LOT of work on a plate mounted board :(

In the advice I've been getting on them people that love buckling spring/alps boards love the clears, people that like lots of the other cherry switches don't -- but that's just in my small sampling of info to date ... as I said I'm still torn on them.  They are nice but at the end of the day I worry that they are too heavy for me for prolonged usage (I have hand issues).
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline zirb

Browns or clears
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 09:18:17 »
hey
first time I typed on the Clears (G80-3000) I wasn't sure if they would fit my style - have a Majestouch with Browns @home and got the G80 for work and now I love both of them. Imo you can feel the point of actuation just slightly more on the clears but nothing too big.
Just trying would be the best... maybe you can get into the second round of the "Holiday Switch Tester Tour" or how is it called? :D

Quote from: funkymeeba;459873
I definitely love the clears. I feel a lot more like I'm floating across the keys than I do with blues. I have no experience with browns to compare to, sadly.

I feel the same, when I'm typing longer texts on the Clears I just feel a lot faster than - in my case - on browns. But I made a speedtest and it is in fact the same. Dunno why it feels that way.