Author Topic: Kinesis reds not as fun as regular reds  (Read 2518 times)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Kinesis reds not as fun as regular reds
« on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 08:28:12 »
My first keyboard with reds was the Kinesis and when comparing those reds to browns on a normal keyboard, I was entirely certain that I preferred browns. I just got some reds on a normal keyboard now and they feel quite different than the ones on the Kinesis, not because of wear or the like, but just because of the different shape of the keyboard, which affects how you push down on the keys.

Now I'm not sure whether I prefer reds or browns! While I wouldn't call it a cloud of boobs, I can understand why some people like reds so much now whereas before when I had only tried them on my Kinesis I wasn't impressed. Just wanted to mention this because I've never heard anyone else mention that Kinesis reds feel different than regular reds.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 08:49:08 »
Your Kinesis keyboard shape is an inverted boob, so it destroys/neutralizes the typical booby typing feel of reds.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 09:04:19 »
Quote from: Tony;462732
Your Kinesis keyboard shape is an inverted boob, so it destroys/neutralizes the typical booby typing feel of reds.

Haha, you're right!!

Offline gilgam

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 10:37:55 »
[/QUOTE]

That is a "press any key" !!!
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 10:41:28 »
did you have the kinesis key tone speaker thing on ?

Offline Nighted

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 10:55:09 »
Please explain how a keyboard with reds can feel like boobs. Please answer only if you have ever felt actual female boobs of a human woman other than your mother. :D
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Nighted

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 11:02:00 »
Ok, from touching natural or silicone breasts?
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 11:09:01 »
It's actually a pretty apt description.  Reds are "linear" switches, which means resistance increases evenly as the key travels, a lot like pressing your fingers into flesh.  So you might also say that black switches are like typing on a cloud of flexed biceps.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33739[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33740[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 December 2011, 11:31:21 by hashbaz »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 11:31:02 »
Quote from: Lanx;462820
did you have the kinesis key tone speaker thing on ?

I use to use it with but now I use it without. In either case, the reds are still not as fun as they are on a normal keyboard.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 12:26:37 »
Quote from: oneproduct;462875
I use to use it with but now I use it without. In either case, the reds are still not as fun as they are on a normal keyboard.

Interesting. I have the opposite experience, I like tactile switches like my Model M mini's in flat keyboards, but on the Kinesis I like the red linear switches with the tone speaker turned on. I never really liked browns on my previous Kinesis models, the reds have been a huge improvement for me. I guess everybody is different, therefore having choices is good!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline fireball87

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 12:43:43 »
Quote from: gilgam;462815
Show Image

That is a "press any key" !!![/QUOTE]

I like the ergonomics of this keyboard I suppose, but the layout is atrocious.  Also the casing and build quality are questionable, though the internals seems to be well designed.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 13:13:16 »
Quote from: ripster;462837
(Attachment Link) 33724[/ATTACH]

I once yelled "Geronimo-o-o-o!!!!!" at the top of my lungs. The response is classified, if I tell you, I hafta kill you.

Interesting observation about the different feel of switches on different boards. Makes a lot of sense though. More choices!!!! Yayyy!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 13:16:37 »
Quote from: ripster;462837
(Attachment Link) 33750[/ATTACH]

I once yelled "Geronimo-o-o-o!!!!!" at the top of my lungs. The response is classified, if I tell you, I hafta kill you.

Interesting observation about the different feel of switches on different boards. Makes a lot of sense though. More choices!!!! Yayyy!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 17:23:59 »
Quote from: ripster;462854
Please stack RipOmeter nickels on your GF/Wife ASAP and post pics.

FOR SCIENCE!
I don't have any more nickels, but I do have $33 in dimes. How do I know when the switch activates, though?

Offline fireball87

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 17:56:13 »
Quote from: dorkvader;463062
I don't have any more nickels, but I do have $33 in dimes. How do I know when the switch activates, though?

When you're in severe pain, you know you've flipped the switch.  I've found that such switches are fairly easy to actuate, but I don't have proper ripometer data.