Author Topic: laser etching or engraving ?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline jaelink

laser etching or engraving ?
« on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 08:26:43 »
Hey everyone !

I would like to buy a new keyboard on WASD but i would like to know what is he best for you and which wears more slowly. Is there really a different feel to the touch ? And with an engraved keyboard dust and crumbs aren't embedded ?
I prefer the engraving but i'm also an intensive gamer so do you think that even with the engraving it will be fine ?

Thanks

Offline N8N

laser etching or engraving ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 08:43:24 »
you're definitely going to have the clean the engraved... and I don't think anyone has had one long enough to comment on wear, I got one of the first ones, they haven't been around that long.  I would definitely suspect that the engraved would last longer but Weyman claims that the laser etched should be long wearing because of the darkening of the plastic not being just on the surface of the cap but actually into the plastic itself.

In any case, they are ABS caps, so eventually they will wear and become shiny, it's just the nature of the beast.  I would just go ahead and get the board and enjoy it, it is a really nice product, and there's nothing wrong with a little honest wear.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)