Author Topic: Ambra Model M  (Read 6045 times)

Offline thadcombs

Ambra Model M
« on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 12:40:57 »
Hey!

I've been a long time lurker, thought I'd post a bit about a keyboard I picked up recently. I can't seem to find much information on it so I thought I'd come to the experts!

It's an Ambra Model M "Manufactured by Lexmark" "Made in the USA" December 93.
It appears to be buckling springs but I really don't know anything about it to be honest....
It's very clean (on the outside anyways, who knows about the inside), I gave it a quick wipe and it looks almost good as new. There's minor scuffing on the bottom but nothing major. It works perfectly and sounds great, just a little loud for my taste.

I checked out all the threads here I could find about similar keyboards but they all seem a little different than mine. I've seen one here that has the exact same layout / part number but 2 piece keycaps, and a couple others than seem to be UK layout or something.

Anyways, here are some pics. If there's anything you can tell me about this keyboard I would appreciate it, Thanks!

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2011, 13:31:36 by thadcombs »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Ambra Model M
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 12:47:28 »
Yeah, new member restriction.. there's a 'boost your postcount' thread in ripster's subforum... go be annoying or something fun there.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Ambra Model M
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 21:29:29 »
Yep, that's buckling springs. Keycaps appeor to be the "one piece" ones. It should last you a while, and might not be the best for gaming, as it's only 2KRO, but it's an excellent keyboard for typing. I love my M (now bolt modded) and unicomp.

The cable isn't detachable, is it?

Looks to be in great shape. It should serve you well.

Ambra Model M
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 10:58:45 »
had one of these in the early 90. then throw it away 5 years ago after not being used for several years, kinda regret that now. definitely a good one.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Ambra Model M
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 14:05:05 »
I see some filth coming out near the arrow keys. May be worth cleaning it up. You can also show the picture of the insides. I'm interested in controller board on this beast and the number of missing rivets. I guess it will be similar or the same as lexmarks bade around then.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline thadcombs

Ambra Model M
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 16:31:59 »
Quote from: czarek;467848
I see some filth coming out near the arrow keys. You can also show the picture of the insides.

Yeah I'm sure it's not too pretty inside.... ha ha. Is it terribly difficult to take it apart? I never thought I'd need to so I've never checked it out.

Quote from: dorkvader;467530

might not be the best for gaming, as it's only 2KRO,

That's a shame because I'm a gamer and hoped this would be fun to use!

Quote from: dorkvader;467530

The cable isn't detachable, is it?

Nope

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Ambra Model M
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 18:24:37 »
Ambra was a subsidiary of IBM who made cheap PCs. As with any attempt by IBM to make cheap stuff, Ambra PCs were too expensive for what you got, so the company faded back into obscurity.

You see the US layout ones now and then, they're pretty much identical to the standard IBM Model Ms, except for the logo. As for one/two piece keycaps, a lot of the Model Ms from that period were inconsistent in which type of keycap they had, so there's no particular significance there.

The more famous Ambra is the Germany layout one. I'm not sure if there were any other countries that had this style of keyboard, I've certainly never seen or heard of them anyway.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34493[/ATTACH]

Yeah I'm sure it's not too pretty inside.... ha ha. Is it terribly difficult to take it apart? I never thought I'd need to so I've never checked it out.

If you have a 5.5mm nut driver, then it's fine.

might not be the best for gaming, as it's only 2KRO

I play games on 'em all the time without any particular issues.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Ambra Model M
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 06:06:35 »
A lot of Lexmark's OEM-branded keyboards had rectangular logo areas (you can see them on the Unicomp Customizer)

As for my absence - I've been juggling sickness and a ****load of college work. I hope to find time to return to the keyboard world in the new year.

Offline thadcombs

Ambra Model M
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 12:55:50 »
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it!