Author Topic: IBM Model M 1391401 & Lexmark 71G4646  (Read 2100 times)

Offline KitriniBlue

IBM Model M 1391401 & Lexmark 71G4646
« on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:44:16 »
I have been lurking on these forums for a while and trying to save up the funds to get a decent starter mechanical keyboard under my belt to better understand how they work. While at my boyfriends house today I decided to ask his father if he had any old keyboards lying around that I might be able to mess around with since he has all kinds of old equipment lying around his office. He at first told me that he thought that he only had the IBM Model M that he currently uses for his office, but that he would go digging around and see what he could find.

He came to me a little later that day and brought to me a Lexmark 71G4646 and an IMB 1391401 that he found underneath an old desk at the office.  Right now I am using the Lexmark and it is in excellent condition and at this time all that I can tell is that it might need some minor maintenance. The IMB, on the other hand, is extremely dirty and I would like to be able to clean it without causing any damage to it. Since as you can tell I am very new at this whole scene any guidance will be greatly appreciated to get these old keys back in shape.

I will post pics as time goes by so you can see how I am doing with this wonderful project that has landed in my lap.

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:55:26 »
Sounds like a great find. I've been looking around for some old keyboards like this for a while, with no such luck.
Looking forward to photos.

As far as cleaning the IBM goes, I'd probably be gently disassembling it if at all possible (can't help you as to how, I'm unfamiliar with the board in question), washing the dirty plastic parts and taking an air compressor to the rest.
Not sure if theres any specific things to watch out for, or anything like that. With a bit of luck someone on here with a bit more experience can help you out.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:55:39 »
Welcome to Geekhack! The 71G is a rubber dome, the 1391401 however is the classic Buckling Spring Model M. For cleaning the keys get yourself a keypuller and some denture cleaning tabs. To clean the case you should be able to take most a the dirt and grime off with a damp washcloth and some dish washing soap.
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline KitriniBlue

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 22:25:36 »
Thanks for the feedback. I just noticed that I made an error for the Lexmark model info in that it should be 71G4644. o.O

Live & Learn!!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 00:33:11 »
I just used soap and warm water. I left it for a day in a pot on the counter, and stirred it with a chopstick everytime I went past. It worked well, and all the dirt came off when I cleaned it with a hand-towel. You can try that for starters, and upgrade to other methods if it fails you.

I would also like to note that it's relatively trivial to pull the keytops off it has a two piece design. If it's one-piece, or you want both parts of the key (or want to clean enter, shift, etc) you'll need something to pull it out with. I just used my fingers, and a steady hand. you could use your hands or maybe your boyfriend in a pinch.

What's the date/serial number (an the back) is it a blue logo? Silver?

Taking apart the 1391401 is pretty easy, but you need a thinwall 5.5mm socket driver (whatever they're called) to get at all the screws.

Offline KitriniBlue

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 11:20:14 »
Quote from: dorkvader;468659
I just used soap and warm water. I left it for a day in a pot on the counter, and stirred it with a chopstick everytime I went past. It worked well, and all the dirt came off when I cleaned it with a hand-towel. You can try that for starters, and upgrade to other methods if it fails you.

I would also like to note that it's relatively trivial to pull the keytops off it has a two piece design. If it's one-piece, or you want both parts of the key (or want to clean enter, shift, etc) you'll need something to pull it out with. I just used my fingers, and a steady hand. you could use your hands or maybe your boyfriend in a pinch.

What's the date/serial number (an the back) is it a blue logo? Silver?

Taking apart the 1391401 is pretty easy, but you need a thinwall 5.5mm socket driver (whatever they're called) to get at all the screws.

It is a Blue Logo.

FRU NO - 1392090

ID NO - 7775278

Date - 09 APR 93

I will post pics of my progress of taking apart and cleaning. "The Adventures of N00bie Keyboard Maintenance"

If I forgot something let me know since like I said am a totally green and want to learn all that I can. :)

Offline KitriniBlue

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 17:05:12 »
This is my IBM 1391401. As you can see she needs a lot of TLC and I hope to get her back to as close to mint as possible. I took this quick one pic with the phone so you can see the state she is in right now.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 23:20:32 »
Quote from: KitriniBlue;468896
I will post pics of my progress of taking apart and cleaning. "The Adventures of N00bie Keyboard Maintenance"

If I forgot something let me know since like I said am a totally green and want to learn all that I can. :)

That is an excellent attitude and the best approach to life. I look forward to seeing the pictures!

On a similar vein, I recently bolt modded my model M, it went pretty easy, but I felt similarly. N00bie keyboard maintenance at it's finest. I took some picture,s Maybe I'll post them if I can figure out how to safely get them from my phone.