Author Topic: All RF 87U $300 on EK (till end of year). Leopold TKL (Black) with Red Switches $89  (Read 10740 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Quote from: javifast;470946
Yes,....a very expensive Christmas.

Yes very very much so :(

Offline burlburrbrian

I think I'm going to pick up a RF87U, though I still can't decide between the variable and 45g. I touch type and do mostly programming stuff. I don't play any games at the moment. Any advice? I also already have a HHKB Pro 2.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Quote from: burlburrbrian;471023
I think I'm going to pick up a RF87U, though I still can't decide between the variable and 45g. I touch type and do mostly programming stuff. I don't play any games at the moment. Any advice? I also already have a HHKB Pro 2.

HHKB is 45g so go with the 45g sice thats what your used to and itll be easier to switch beteeen the 2.

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
Quote from: burlburrbrian;471023

The variable is engineered for those who use a formal method of typing in which each of the typist's individual fingers are used to type within specific 'zones' of the keyboard. If the typist does not adhere to this method of formal typing (i.e. the typist uses his ring finger to type 'a' instead of his pinky), then the appeal of the variable weighting to create a more ergonomic experience is lost. Observe the way that you type and base your decision from there.

Furthermore, a problem with the variable weighted RF's is that the keys designed for the pinkies to type on are so light that you are not able to rest your fingers on homerow without accidentally depressing 'a' and ';'. Personally, I didn't like the variable weight's feel and would recommend for you to go with the uniform 45g.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2011, 22:22:38 by ladiesman2927 »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
That "formal method of typing" is how most people are taught to type in school.  It's nothing special.  If you touch type, then you probably won't notice the Realforce's variable weighting (while typing at least).  If you hunt and peck, its benefit is lost as ladiesman points out.

Offline Jim66

For some reason I haven't been able to access the EK website for the past couple of days. Is anyone else having this problem?

Offline kinkng

Quote from: Jim66;471234
For some reason I haven't been able to access the EK website for the past couple of days. Is anyone else having this problem?

I just tried it and it works for me.
IBM SSK - 4
IBM Terminal Mini 1392980 - 2
IBM 1391401 - 12
IBM 42H1292 - 10
IBM Rubber Dome Model Ms - 6
Filco TenkeyLess Blue switches  - 1
Realforce 86U - 2
Realforce 86UB -1
Realforce 87UB 55g -2
Realforce 87U 45g - 1
Realforce 87U Variable Tenth Anniversary - 1
Noppoo Choc Mini Blues - 2

Offline Jim66

Quote from: ripster;471349
Did you insult Carl Matsu?

I don't think so...

I can't access EK from either Chrome or IE. Annoying.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Works for me as of three seconds ago.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Works for me on all the browsers I use.  Jim, it could be your computer, your proxy, or your ISP.  Try it on your phone if you have internet access on your phone, or try it on a different computer or with a different internet connection.

Offline RiGS

Quote from: ladiesman2927;471032
Furthermore, a problem with the variable weighted RF's is that the keys designed for the pinkies to type on are so light that you are not able to rest your fingers on homerow without accidentally depressing 'a' and ';'. Personally, I didn't like the variable weight's feel and would recommend for you to go with the uniform 45g.

That's BS. It has never happened to me.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
Lol I'm sure there are many other people that can attest to a's and ;'s spamming on their screen out of nowhere.

My sources? Google it

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
It's happened to me, but it's just a matter of getting used to the lightness.  No biggie (for me at least).

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
It can be a problem for WASD games. I found myself turning left randomly very oftenly and I had to consciously prevent my finger from fully resting on 'a'.

Offline Kisakuku

Quote from: ladiesman2927;471535
it can be a problem for wasd games. I found myself turning left randomly very oftenly and i had to consciously prevent my finger from fully resting on 'a'.

esdf > wasd

Offline Jim66

Quote from: RiGS;471486
That's BS. It has never happened to me.

+1, I'm typing on one write now aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa;;;.

EDIT: No seriously it is BS, It has never happened to me. When my fingers are not typing they are very lightly touching the home row, I wouldn't say that I press them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2011, 14:09:01 by Jim66 »

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
Lol by calling it bs you're completely dismissing the problem from the keyboard. You should take into consideration the other people that rest their fingers on homerow with a slightly heavier touch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:08:02 by ladiesman2927 »

Offline Kisakuku

Quote from: ripster;471570
Stupidest design decision that Topre ever made.

Not the ABS spacebars? *gasp*

Offline Kisakuku

Quote from: ripster;471590
OK.  Second Stupidest.

But they made that one LOOOOooooonnngggg ago.

It's called the HOME ROW for a REASON Topre!

People who sit in the home row should get out more.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
Any who was thinking of getting the 87UB 45g , there is one left so better get on it ... Also 6 left of the 87U 45g.

Got my boards nice and safe today....:thumb:
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline Kisakuku

I hurd SC2 and WoW console ports are great.

Quote from: ripster;471712
Hah - look who's talking. You're an ESDF user.  You haven't heard PC Gaming is Dead.

Anyhoo when you sell lots of key sets at $110 you can afford to drop prices on the keyboards.

Offline RiGS

Quote from: ladiesman2927;471547
Lol by calling it bs you're completely dismissing the problem from the keyboard. You should take into consideration the other people that rest their fingers on homerow with a slightly heavier touch.

I have a heavier touch, and cherry blacks is my favourite switch, yet I have not experienced that problem with the RF.

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
Good for you. The matter-of-fact is that many other owners experience the problem I stated earlier, including me.

The problem obviously pertains to some individuals while not to others. Don't be so close minded.

Offline RiGS

I just wanted to share a different experience, though I agree it could be a problem with the lighter 30g keys on the 86u.
However the 87U variable has 35g pinkies.

Offline Jim66

Same for me, I just wanted to share my personal experience that I don't have a problem with variable weighted Topre. I didn't want potential buyers to miss out on the joys of typing on a variable weighted board based on your personal experience alone.

Perhaps I was a little zealous to jump on the BW band wagon. Sorry.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:58:53 by Jim66 »

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
My variable was an 86ub so if what you're saying is valid then that would explain why you didn't experience the same thing.

The 87u variable specs on ek lists the weighting as 30, 45, and 55g, and that was what I was going by when I was following through with my argument. Those specs could be wrong though for all I know.

Offline Bongoojingie

Quote from: ripster;472163
Somebody check the 86 using the RipOmeter.

I don't have an 86U, but the Topre Uniform 30g I used for my mod RipOmetered exactly the same as the "35g" of the 87U variable.  I'm not sure where the "35g" comes from, as Topre publishes it as 30g, and there doesn't appear to be a difference.
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline ascii

I just received my 87USB this morning along with a set of blue topre key caps.

Something is retarded with the key caps though.  I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I think someone screwed up in the "makes sense" department.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35437[/ATTACH]

I was going to swap around my ctrl and caps locks keys... but that's going to be even MORE confusing...   Way to think things through guys.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Quote from: ascii;473878
I just received my 87USB this morning along with a set of blue topre key caps.

Something is retarded with the key caps though.  I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I think someone screwed up in the "makes sense" department.

I was going to swap around my ctrl and caps locks keys... but that's going to be even MORE confusing...   Way to think things through guys.
Yeah I don't why when you buy a RF 87U it comes with the changeable caps lock <->ctrl keys but with the 104 keyset it doesn't :frusty:

I just keep the ctrl and caps lock the keys the way it is but its really the other way around lol
Keyboardless

Offline ascii

well, it's odd, it seems to come with the changeable caps lock keys... just that someone screwed up and printed "Caps Lock" on the non-lit version that SHOULD say "Ctrl" and "Ctrl" on the smaller lit one that should say "Caps Lock"

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Quote from: ascii;473889
well, it's odd, it seems to come with the changeable caps lock keys... just that someone screwed up and printed "Caps Lock" on the non-lit version that SHOULD say "Ctrl" and "Ctrl" on the smaller lit one that should say "Caps Lock"

Looks that way to me Im glad I didnt get a set now and that would rather tick me off and well I cant get keys for my 23UB.

Offline Kisakuku

Quote from: ascii;473889

No, the windowed keys are for 87U, the windowless ones are for 104U, same deal as the numlock. Those color sets don't have swapped capslock/ctrl keys for 87U.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Quote from: Kisakuku;474077
No, the windowed keys are for 87U, the windowless ones are for 104U, same deal as the numlock. Those color sets don't have swapped capslock/ctrl keys for 87U.

So sad about that :(

Oh well my ctrl is my caps lock, and vice versa that's the best I can do
Keyboardless