Author Topic: Laser Etching vs Laser Engraving (WASD)  (Read 9474 times)

Offline suitangi

Laser Etching vs Laser Engraving (WASD)
« on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 18:10:55 »
Hello, I have in mind to buy a WASD keyboard and I just can not decide between Laser Etching and Laser Engraving. Any suggestion?

Can you please tell me which one do you prefer and why (or pros and cons of each one).

Thank you.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 23:28:43 »
Quote from: ripster;469226
If you're talking white keys go Laser Etched.

Somebody take pics of theirs (F, S, D) for  the Key Ref Wiki.

Didn't weyman already take some for you, or were those just his engraved? If you ask nice, he might be willing to take more of both styles.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 23:41:35 »
Laser etched keys (especially light colored ones) are more readable, engraved are more stealthy (closer to otaku), so take into consideration how good of a touch typist you are.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 03:38:26 »
I ordered some keys from WASD. Laser etched Amiga keys and engraved PANIC! escape key... and the PANIC! text is really hard to make out:

I'm going to get a whole set of keys next year... and I'll go for laser etched. I'm also going to replace the PANIC! button with a laser etched version.

I'm a good touch typist... but I think keyboards with visual text looks better. More retro style.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline suitangi

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 16:37:59 »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Helpful.