Author Topic: Testing a $2 Gateway KB-2961...Surprised!  (Read 4714 times)

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
Testing a $2 Gateway KB-2961...Surprised!
« on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 18:10:55 »
What is going on here? What is wrong with me? Isn't this supposed to be the typical OEM junk? These keys feel springy, yet smooth. There's a comforting clacking sound going on as I type. I don't even have to bottom out the keys to get a good response. I'm typing quite fast right now.

Nice fat oversize L-shaped Enter key. Compact body. Discrete design with no extraneous decorations, all sharp edges. Keys are placed on a smooth curve, very comfortable. But the keys, man, the keys! The action is so nice, with a snappy return (but not noisy snappy). It feels nimble.

What is going on here? :faint:

Seriously, I ain't kidding. This little, simple keyboard feels very, very nice.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 19:15:16 »
I looked at the title and thought, "Hey! That sounds familiar..."

*tips the keyboard over*

I'm typing on one right now...

It's not even that bad. In fact, it's pretty awesome. Too bad my keys are getting shiny... Not to mention that the keys wiggle and wobble a hell of a lot. I might buy a WASD Custom V1 in Cherry MX Blues then move onto Topres. We'll see.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 19:18:08 »
Cool! I bought this one because I'm in a low-budget keyboard-testing mode, and I buy anything that looks interesting and cheap. I liked the no-nonsense style of this keyboard, tried the keys a bit in the store, and bought it. Had it in the attic for a week until today I decided to bring it out...I'm pleasantly surprised!

Could this be one of the well-kept secrets of rubber dome keyboards?

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 19:20:18 »
Quote from: jkercado;470103
Cool! I bought this one because I'm in a low-budget keyboard-testing mode, and I buy anything that looks interesting and cheap. I liked the no-nonsense style of this keyboard, tried the keys a bit in the store, and bought it. Had it in the attic for a week until today I decided to bring it out...I'm pleasantly surprised!

Could this be one of the well-kept secrets of rubber dome keyboards?

Mine came with my (not broken) PC that I bought roughly 5-6 years ago.

I used to type on a lame HP wireless keyboard that felt absolutely horrible... Then I too went looking in the closet and found this. Much better.

Offline LEGITBALLIN

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 15:49:28 »
i have these at my local library and the keys are so shiny its ridiculous, but i do have to say the action on them feels different than other rubberdomes.
V-tec just kicked in yo\'

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 15:56:13 »
Quote from: LEGITBALLIN;473333
i have these at my local library and the keys are so shiny its ridiculous, but i do have to say the action on them feels different than other rubberdomes.

Yes, it is definitely quite different from regular domes. It just feels right. Soft without being mushy. Nice job there, Gateway.