Author Topic: Linux: Use Win/Tux key for arrows HJKL in all keyboard layouts  (Read 1168 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
Linux: Use Win/Tux key for arrows HJKL in all keyboard layouts
« on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 10:46:42 »
There seem to be quite a few ways to remap keys in Linux, but I wonder if there is a way that would override all keyboard layouts. Specifically, I use the QWERTY, Colemak, Hebrew, and Russian keyboard layouts. I would like the following key combinations to override on all keyboard layouts:
Tux-H: LeftArrow
Tux-J: DownArrow
Tux-K: UpArrow
Tux-L: RightArrow
Tux-U: Home
Tux-I: End
Tux-N: PageUp
Tux-M: PageDown
Tux-BackSpace: Delete

What would be the best way to go about this? I usually use Debian-based distros, but I am willing to switch distro to get this working!

Thanks!

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
Linux: Use Win/Tux key for arrows HJKL in all keyboard layouts
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 15:26:37 »
I would think using the hex values for the actual key (the raw data that's input to the computer before it's translated to the corresponding keystroke).  They're easy enough to find in Linux.
http://fsymbols.com/keyboard/linux/unicode/

The hex values should be layout-independent.  The key printed with A in Dvorak should still send 1C no matter what the (software based) layout you have chosen.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.