Author Topic: Needing Advice on Mechanical/Topre Switched Keyboards  (Read 8659 times)

Offline flaming_june

Needing Advice on Mechanical/Topre Switched Keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 21:20:14 »
Quote from: Gegs;471995
Oh, my mistake. That makes a lot of sense now. How would you rate the variable weighting over uniform?

I think the HHKB2 Pro has taken my fancy. I find the price and others opinions of other keyboards the only thing deterring factor. If the reasons against are strong enough then I'm easily persuaded as I don't want to end up being dissatisfied and wasting money.

I guess it's personal preference?  I type about 5-10 wpm faster on my hhkb uniform 45 vs my variable realforce.  I just prefer consistency over thinking whether I've actuated the key or not - since I type very lightly.

Definitely try to get them used instead of new.  I'm going to sell off my varibale realforce and just keep my hhkb.  Otherwise Can't justify almost a grand in keyboard holdings.

Offline Gegs

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 22:56:04 »
Quote from: flaming_june;472567
I guess it's personal preference?  I type about 5-10 wpm faster on my hhkb uniform 45 vs my variable realforce.  I just prefer consistency over thinking whether I've actuated the key or not - since I type very lightly.

Definitely try to get them used instead of new.  I'm going to sell off my varibale realforce and just keep my hhkb.  Otherwise Can't justify almost a grand in keyboard holdings.

Although I have not tried the variable realforce, I'm not sure if it would be for me. Would you prefer your HHKB over a realforce if it were a uniform weight?

Also, I borrowed my friends cherry blue keyboard and have had a bit of time to play with it and get a feel for the keys. I enjoy the light feel of the keys however the clicking of the key bugs me. I also feel the tactile bump half way through the stroke of each key to be sort of... unnatural? I'm not the best at articulating my experiences with it however I found the distinct tactile bump to be unpleasant. As far as I'm aware, the browns are the same as the blues minus the 'click' sound upon actuation.

Perhaps the cherry reds would suit me best due to their light and linear touch. When looking at the force diagram's for topre keys, they still look like an attractive option.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 00:25:28 »
If they're uniform weighted for both realforce and hhkb then it depends on function and form.  For example for SC2 RTS gaming you need the F1-12 keys as well as properly placed ctrl key.  For travel use the hhkb works really well.  It's also got a better ctrl key placement for FPS gaming.  Like I said in my original post, I reco you check out bot the hhkb and the uniform 45g realforce.  Whether you buy a small form factor vs a regular sized keyboard is something you need to decide.

Offline Gegs

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 02:38:04 »
It sounds as though the HHKB is much better suited for me in that case as I rarely play RTS games. I frequent pretty much every genre other than RTS (such as starcraft, supreme commander etc) and sports games but I primarily play FPS, RPG or MOBA games which don't make much/any use of the F-keys. I love the layout of the HHKB and was just trying to get an idea if there were any differences in build quality or feel as I would prefer functionality.

Could anyone give me a couple links to some websites in Australia or ones that ship internationally that offer good prices on the HHKB Pro 2? I think I might order in a KBC Poker Red very soon to play with in the meantime!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2011, 10:01:49 by Gegs »