Author Topic: Which keyboard for me  (Read 3775 times)

Offline tukkez

Which keyboard for me
« on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 11:08:05 »
Hey,

I've been thinking of buying a keyboard with reds, because people say that they're awesome. I have a Blackwidow Ultimate with Blue's atm, I like blues but i want to try another keyboard. Blue's would be good, but I don't think that I want to buy 2 keyboards with same switches. I browsed through keyboards, and thought that WASD would be a good option, since I love the custom keycap customization. Filco's would be good aswell because they're sold here in Finland, but they're pretty expensive and some of them look pretty boring.

Are red's a good choice? I play about 80% and type 20% of my time. Also, how is WASD quality compared to Filco, Leopold, das? Is it as good as them ? Has anyone bought a WASD keyboard and  had it sent to Europe, preferably somewhere close to Finland, if so, how much was the sending and did it go through customs or tolls or anything ? What was the keyboards price after all of those ?

Thanks.

edit. Been sliding into Filco's and Leopolds. Probably gonna wait for 2012 leopolds and filcos. thanks for help :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2012, 08:09:46 by tukkez »

Offline cheappoison

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 11:24:50 »
i just registered here so you won't get much useful information out of me.

But i was also thinking about ordering a board from WASD. So i am quite interested in what the responses are going to be.
especially interested in the comparison between the Filco cause i can buy that localy but it is very pricey.
WASD is going to tun out just as much but atleast i can have engraved keys and the ring-o mod for the same price as the Filco.

on the customs, you's going to have to check that for yourself cause that should be pretty specific to your country.
I know mine doesn't require a extra fee for stuff under 150€, and just requires the normal tax you pay on all items and items under 21€ or something are free of that too if i had it right.

Offline bienc

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 12:00:59 »
Reds are very hit and miss for people. It's extremely light and since it's linear, you'll find yourself bottom out a lot. Some people think it's TOO light and some like the feel. It's hard to tell and recommend for people.

I believe that Filcos and WASD are made by the same manufacturer? If not, they use the same Costar stabilizer for the bigger keys which are said to feel just like the regular keys when pressing on them compared to the Chery MX stabilizers which use "dead" Cherry points and can feel stiffer. Build quality by WASD is great and people are generally happy with their purchases from WASD. The owner of WASD has his own subforum in the Vendors section if you want to ask them anything.

For the shipment details - You'll have to ask your post office as to what kind of taxes or fees you may have to pay due to international shipping and the what the product is.

The colors are not to my taste. White and green don't really "go" together in my opinion, at least with green for only the WASD cluster. Also, yellow on orange with a black center doesn't make sense to me on the numpad. I'm pretty picky on my color combinations and have spent a long time on the WASD customizer just making different color combos and always scrapping them. If you like it, then get it. The customization is there for a reason and if you like what you made, it shouldn't matter to anyone else. The keyboard is for your typing and viewing pleasure, not someone else's.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline cheappoison

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 13:17:08 »
any thoughts on the o-ring mod? does it add a lot?

Offline sordna

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 13:31:37 »
Quote from: cheappoison;473865
any thoughts on the o-ring mod? does it add a lot?

What do you mean? It adds $20-$23 if you have it installed by WASD, but you'll save some money if you buy and install them yourself, it's very easy.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline rvrebel

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 15:00:23 »
I have a Filco and a WASD keyboard, both brown. Also a red switch (Rosewill).

If noise is a concern then I would have the O-ring mod done otherwise I feel it takes away from the switch. I use it at work and it usually doesn't bother me until I get home and type on a non o-ring keyboard. If you want basic keys caps or plan on buying different key caps (PBT, etc) then I would go with Filco. It's minor but I like the case of the Filco better than the WASD. It's a bit more square vs the rounded front of the WASD and I also prefer the color/texture of the plastic used on the Filco case. Though the WASD case is just fine.

I like both brown and red, not sure I could pick just one. It's true w/ reds you will bottom out a lot but it's so light that you're not slamming the keys down. So it's light and not as loud if bottoming out.. or maybe just my perception.
|| Filco Majestouch 2 || Rosewill RK-9000 || WASD Custom Layout ||

Offline cheappoison

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 15:23:51 »
Quote from: sordna;473873
What do you mean? It adds $20-$23 if you have it installed by WASD, but you'll save some money if you buy and install them yourself, it's very easy.

I was thinking about installing it myself.
I just wondered what peoples experienced have been with it. they do remove the bottoming out noise some but does it feel more comfortable if you bottom out? And how bad is the wear on those with a lot of  bottoming out.
You know just experiences and thoughts about it.

Offline sordna

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 15:35:05 »
I've been using o-rings for a long time, WASD has very high quality o-rings, you can bang on them without worries about wear, and they do make the bottoming-out much more comfortable, especially the softer 40A o-rings. Most people put o-rings for the sound dampening, I actually put them on for the added comfort! It's a great mod and I've done it on several of my keyboards.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline cheappoison

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 15:50:25 »
Well thanks for the replies!
also noticed some info about the o-ring mod in your sig, handy!

now off to find a place where i can get pbt keycaps in Europe.

Offline sordna

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 16:08:25 »
Quote from: dante;473967
Do you feel the 40A's make the keyboard feel a little more 'domeish?

Not really. They only affect the last half milimeter (or less) of key travel. So you only feel them when you bottom out, and they just soften the landing. My fingers used to hurt after a long day of typing (I try not to bottom out but can't always avoid it), and with the o-rings they feel much better. YMMV however. Most people seem to like them a lot, but there are some people that prefer they keyboards without any dampening.

Offline RiGS

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 19:39:24 »
I prefer not bottoming out, because I'm too cheap to buy o-rings.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline pitashen

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 03:29:55 »
Do keep in mind that the current colors offered by WASD Keyboard are a bit on the pale side. If you got one of those glossy over color saturated monitor, you might be disappointed with the results when you get your keys.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline tukkez

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 06:59:47 »
Might ditch WASD and get filco linear r, opinions?

Offline pitashen

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 13:41:14 »
overpriced. but if you got money, sure.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline iHaveSs

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 19:30:11 »
mikä liike myy filcoja suomes? ja mistä ostit sun Black Widown?

Offline sordna

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 January 2012, 19:38:03 »
Quote from: tukkez;474318
Might ditch WASD and get filco linear r, opinions?

If you want tenkeyless and don't care about the premium, go ahead. If you want full size and/or don't want to spend too much for something of the exact same quality, go WASD.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 January 2012, 19:56:31 by sordna »

Offline tukkez

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 03:21:33 »
Quote from: iHaveSs;481623
mikä liike myy filcoja suomes? ja mistä ostit sun Black Widown?

blackwidowin ostin jimms.fi ja filcoja my kai silentrig.com mutta aattelin ulkomailta filcon tilata.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Which keyboard for me
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 07:11:40 »
I can always tell it's Finnish when there are way too many vowels in the words :D

Offline tukkez

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 07:46:24 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;481788
I can always tell it's Finnish when there are way too many vowels in the words :D

Haha :D.

KL, you've had both of these, WASD and Linear R right? Which one do you prefer?

I've been strafing into waiting for this years Filcos and Leopolds. Rosewills would be good but I can't live with that fugly logo :D More Filco's with reds coming maybe ? New Leopolds are coming, that's for sure.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Which keyboard for me
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 07:51:39 »
I still have a WASD...I sold my Linear R because I prefer all-45g Topre to cherry reds. My WASD has blues which have become one of my favorite switches.

Personally, I would only choose the Linear R if I needed a tenkeyless. They are both comparable in terms of quality.

Offline tukkez

Which keyboard for me
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 January 2012, 08:08:13 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;481801
I still have a WASD...I sold my Linear R because I prefer all-45g Topre to cherry reds. My WASD has blues which have become one of my favorite switches.

Personally, I would only choose the Linear R if I needed a tenkeyless. They are both comparable in terms of quality.

Okay, I have A Blackwidow now, I love the blue switches and type pretty fast on 'em (105wpm), but I wanna try something else :D So waiting for next year's Filco's, Leopold's or WASD TKL's it is.