Author Topic: What is the worst keyboard youve ever used  (Read 36440 times)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Re: What is the worst keyboard youve ever used
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 19:27:19 »
For me, the worst keyboard I've ever used were these Lenovo chiclet keyboards that if you didn't press the key directly on-center, it would stick to the side and have a very terrible feel. I prefer most other rubber domes to that one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:20:33 »
No-one listed the Apple butterfly keyboard yet?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 11:39:51 »
I've been (un)lucky enough to get to try out one of those expensive laser stand keyboards that just projects the keyboard layout onto the desk in front of you. Absolute garbage. It's literally just sitting there and smashing your fingers into the desk and often times the keystrokes don't register well/mis-register.

Offline Gati

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 14:23:14 »

Those are pretty nice tho... I reached my fastest typing speed on one of those

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 03:51:17 »
209832-0

It was also the most colourful, though.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 03:59:03 »
Worst keyboard I've had was a razer blackwidow I think it was. One of the earlier ones.
Thing broke 2 months in. I didn't even bother going back to the store to get a new one I just bought myself another model instead.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 09:09:45 »
(Attachment Link)

It was also the most colourful, though.

Found one of those at a thrift shop the other day, can confirm.

was more than tempted to buy it for the nice red coiled cable though :)

Offline AlexG

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 09:54:16 »
Varmillo va68. The PCB that thing uses is garbage. Plus the space bar had the worst rattle I'd ever heard. Will never buy a Varmillo again.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 09:39:03 »
Cherry Stream 3.0, for ~20€.
After just one week, the escape key broke out and escaped.

The Smart Keyboards on the iPad Pro are pretty bad and probably rank among the worst I've used, although I suppose for what they are they get the job done.
Both of the things that you've said are quite funny. The escape key broke out and escaped. In the past, usually the keys which are vulnerable to popping or oofing out are the keys that are never used, like that disgraceful numpad 0.

Offline Michka

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 15:44:06 »

That's the one that made me realized how far we went on producing crap in name of design.
+1 on worst keyboard ever (whatever you try to do with it).

It made me discover this wonderful world of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts... so i think i won't be that mad at it.

In the month following the use, i was hunting for a IBM model M to plug in it... (it was my main keyboard for a while, back in the days),  too month later, i was getting back from storage my box of old Apple Extended Keyboard II and getting to know more about interface ps2/usb and adb/usb..

finally a blessing in disguise.

Apple - AK M0117F Alps SKCM Salmon - AEK M0115F Alps SKCM Orange - AEK II M3501F Alps SKCM White - IBM - Model M french Layout.

Offline mattlach

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 15:59:16 »
I don't know.   The scissor switches that are in most Laptops these days and Apple's flat aluminum desktop keyboards are pretty awful.

The worst of these are probably the ones built in to late gen low-cost Dell laptops that I have worked on for family because they were "slow".  The apple ones aren't much better though.  I don't understand how anyone types on those.

At work they gave me some Logitech wireless rubber dome **** as well, and that is pretty bad.

IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline Ruskie

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 00:05:47 »
I grabbed a G80-3000 SAV for the caps, and, just for ****s and giggles, I tried it out with the caps for a week. Dear god, it was awful. I truly do not understand how Cherry thought that would be pleasant to use or even at all better than a rubber dome. They truly cause pain in my knuckles when I type due to the unnatural force needed to bottom it out. Cherry truly ****ed up when modern MY was invented.
Ive got myself a beefy boi

-Alf F62PE
-PCB Mount ZealV2 67g
-GMK KA1953 "OG Classic Retro"

8 pounds of clack

Offline BundleOfJoysticks

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 00:55:34 »
2017 MacBook pro keyboard.
2018 MacBook pro keyboard.
Apple magic keyboard.
The awful clear acrylic rubber domes Apple shipped with the G3-G4 era desktops.

Apple keyboards and mice are garbage.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 01:57:03 »
One of those roll-out silicon mat keyboards. It's like typing on the ass of a Real Doll with mumps. Disgusting.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 12:22:59 »
Ah yes, i am going to. It hindered my speed at least 20 wpm and i cannot get past 80 wpm on that thing. The lack of tactile feedback, and how deep goes down is in a level that is uncomfortable for the user. Butterfly switches suck.
Ever tried butterfly needles? They're the exact opposite of what you'd think they would be. They're used for blood donation.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 04:49:45 »
My badest experience : 

Lenovo ultraslim : 

Bad feeling with it. My colleagues have replaced a rubber dome one at work with one of these because they were new. I was in pure rage after that.
The strange thing is that I have a Lenovo chicklet Thinpad with trackpoint and he is not as bad as the ultraslim for typing. Surely I can admit that the layout is ****.

My current Asus notebook keyboard with a ****ing power button just after the delete key. WTF Asus designers ?

Razer Nostromo :

I never get as much ghosting on a « gaming » keyboard that on the nostromo. The worst is that ghosting appear on keys that you use at the place of WASD. I played a lot of Counter Strike and the Ghosting prevented me from straffing. I don’t know how I managed to not crush it with a hammer.

BTW I have buyed another keypad because, hey, maybe logitech is better for this kind of device right ?
And here I am now with the logitech G13 :

First : Space bar location (usualy used for jumping) is replaced by two mouse button (Wich are gray on the picture). The first one have passed away in 13 month, 1 month after the end of the warrant. The second one 3 month after.
Sometimes the controller randomly reboot in game, I have to reboot the logitech software for correct the issue.

I need to find a way to build myself a splitted left hand keyboard like those with palm rest and a joystick / mouse scroll wheel.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 05:44:09 »
I never get as much ghosting on a « gaming » keyboard that on the nostromo. The worst is that ghosting appear on keys that you use at the place of WASD. I played a lot of Counter Strike and the Ghosting prevented me from straffing. I don’t know how I managed to not crush it with a hammer.
"Ghosting" is when extra unintended key codes appear, that you did not press.  Did you really mean that?

Maybe you meant "blocking" — when key presses are blocked because of keys in certain positions in the keyboard would have produced a ghost key. Some gamer brands have muddled up the terms to make many people believe that "anti-ghosting" would mean the absence of blocking, when blocking is in fact a type of anti-ghosting.

I thought the Nostromo had two leads per key instead of a keyboard matrix, and therefore blocking wouldn't be necessary. Weird.
If ghosting is what you really get, then there must be a short between leads.

Offline gorbachev

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 07:51:14 »
Any laptop keyboard. Most of them have absolutely horrible quality, the keycaps break easily and are extremely difficult to get fixed, they feel like **** and the ergonomics are horrible.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 11:27:31 »
Maybe you meant "blocking"

Yeah sorry I confused these terms. It was blocking clearly. I don’t know why but the strange thing is I was happy with my Naga Epic and a my Nostromo. No problem at all. Suddendly synapse had appeared and 3 mouse button have failed and my nostromo have now this issue.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 18:37:24 »
ladies and gentlemen... let me present to you the worst keyboard in history...
A discovery kids laptop keyboard.
Even worse.. they make you play this fun game with arrow keys. Not fun.
The keys are unresponsive and make an ugly clicking sound. Even worse, some keys don’t even work and you have to bottom out entirely in order to make even one key.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 18:39:11 »
The Smart Keyboards on the iPad Pro are pretty bad and probably rank among the worst I've used, although I suppose for what they are they get the job done.
They do get the job done. The feel is overall blocky and mushy and I can barely type on it with 60 wpm.
Not nice.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 00:54:17 »
One of those rollup silicone keyboards. I tried it 16 years ago. Still have nightmares.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 10:41:20 »
Show Image

For me, its this abomination. Chiclet, horrifically pad printed crap with the most diseased bottom row of all time
The lenovo. I feel your pain. Our school has the worst performing laptops ever and in addition to that they come with diseased keys that need extreme force to press.
In addition, we have these AWFUL toshiba laptops that have canadian multilingual standard on them and an extremely small battery life and left shift.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 10:45:50 »
I grabbed a G80-3000 SAV for the caps, and, just for ****s and giggles, I tried it out with the caps for a week. Dear god, it was awful. I truly do not understand how Cherry thought that would be pleasant to use or even at all better than a rubber dome. They truly cause pain in my knuckles when I type due to the unnatural force needed to bottom it out. Cherry truly ****ed up when modern MY was invented.
The cherry MY switches are to be considered by many as one of the worst of all time. Many of them go into the dump or even worse, thrift stores. An unnatural amount of force is bad for the fingers.
I believe in a switch although it might be a bit heavy to press, it shouldn't be too heavy to the point where you need to bottom out.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 10:48:34 »
Cherry make both my favorite and my least favorite switches at the same time  :[ makes me feel bad for people who have to use them on long shifts at a job with pos g81s
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Wood_Cables

• Wood/Cables
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 09:51:38 »
My work provided Logitech.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:10:51 »
Tried one today. Like butterfly switches covered in a keyboard condom.
The look and feel reminded me of the "Touch Cover" for the Microsoft Surface line, but that one is slightly worse as the keys don't even move but similar in that you would basically have to hover your hand above and drum your fingers on them to type.

And a dedicated Emoji-key: Feck off!

Edit: "Butterfly" switches confirmed. Apparently, Apple has stated that it is the same as in the 2015 MacBook, which has less key travel and tactility than 2016 MacBook keyboard.

Edit: Larger keys don't have stabilisers, which every other keyboard has.
And the space bar is lumpy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2019, 10:34:01 by Findecanor »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 18:41:14 »
One of those roll-out silicon mat keyboards. It's like typing on the ass of a Real Doll with mumps. Disgusting.

^ seconded

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 15:45:57 »
Without a doubt, hands down, the worst EVER keyboard I have ever used is the one on the 2018 MacBook Pro. It feels like I'm typing on a dummy keyboard, and the proximity of the trackpad to the space bar is a straight up NIGHTMARE.

Offline bolke

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 18:49:10 »
Without a doubt, hands down, the worst EVER keyboard I have ever used is the one on the 2018 MacBook Pro. It feels like I'm typing on a dummy keyboard, and the proximity of the trackpad to the space bar is a straight up NIGHTMARE.

+1 on the MacBook Pro keyboard. It is horrible.

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 22:55:23 »
the first gen 12" macbook had the worst keyboard ever. the lord that they updated it for the next generations of keyboards but it is still pretty horrible

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 01:04:26 »
Phone keyboards without a doubt. I can barely press any key accurately when not using swipe.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:08:11 »
Yeah, i listed it. I agree that it is indeed a horrible keyboard and that it slows me down... or in general any typist down.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:09:26 »
I don't know.   The scissor switches that are in most Laptops these days and Apple's flat aluminum desktop keyboards are pretty awful.

The worst of these are probably the ones built in to late gen low-cost Dell laptops that I have worked on for family because they were "slow".  The apple ones aren't much better though.  I don't understand how anyone types on those.

At work they gave me some Logitech wireless rubber dome **** as well, and that is pretty bad.
Same with me!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:13:43 »
2017 MacBook pro keyboard.
2018 MacBook pro keyboard.
Apple magic keyboard.
The awful clear acrylic rubber domes Apple shipped with the G3-G4 era desktops.

Apple keyboards and mice are garbage.
And you're right. It is such a pain to try out apple products in their store, especially those chairs where the kids can play games.... Even worse the controllers provide lack of tactile feedback and don't even work. Apple purposely makes it so that its more difficult for their customers to work with their products!
The chairs essentially force you to be in a slouched position and is not comfortable for posture.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 09:18:44 »
I know! The older macbook keyboards provide tactility and is comfortable to type on. Much better than we had today.
When they unveiled it, i'm suprised that nobody made this reaction:

Offline Maxyol

• “A small rock holds back a great wave”. Homer
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:39:49 »
Windows media board. Tried it in age of empires (rts) barely worked

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 04:23:26 »
One of these horrible feeling chiclet boards I tried out at work one time. Blech! Also, never liked that $32 ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft. Could never get used to the layout and that spacebar is godawful to me. Logitech K800 kinda sucked too and made my fingers fatigue super quickly in less than an hour of typing, but I did like their other scissor switch board the K740 a lot more.

In terms of lasting a long time, the worst board there I've used mechanical wise has to be the Corsair Strafe. It was my first-ever mechanical keyboard back before I knew anything about them. It only lasted 8 months long after I gave it to someone else at work. It was a gift from my boss. She was the one who got me into this mechanical keyboard addiction of mine now. :O
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 06:12:09 »
Apparantly they're still selling Logitech Wave Keyboards. They're junk and will probably lead to strain because of the terrible erogonomics on that thing. I think i've seen the staff around my school typing on those. ):

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 09:16:08 »
Apparantly they're still selling Logitech Wave Keyboards. They're junk and will probably lead to strain because of the terrible erogonomics on that thing. I think i've seen the staff around my school typing on those. ):

That keyboard was complete garbage for me too. I don't even know how it's even supposed to be considered "ergonomic." There was a time where I thought spending over $30 on a keyboard was too much. Now look at me. Haha!
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 10:38:53 »
Same ;)

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 06:33:25 »

Those are pretty nice tho... I reached my fastest typing speed on one of those

The MX Speed are more shallow and a lot of people seem to feel they type faster on shallower switches, which does make sense. Bottoming out is tactile feedback... Any more precise theory on what would constitute the fastest ergonomics (excluding modifying QWERTY, of course)?

Offline Error213

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 22:10:08 »
Logitech k320 or something idk man it had rubber domes it had terrible wobble on the keycaps im shivering thinking about it now that I have my custom keeb with c3 tangerines

Offline cest73

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 03:56:35 »
1. ZX spectrum's one
2. <reserved>
3. <reserved>
4. some mushy silicone excuse for a waterproof keyboard matte knockoff
the common as dirt rubber dome over foil are quite decent if new and in mint condition

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 17:02:07 »
1. ZX spectrum's one

I had a Timex Sinclair 1500 with the rubber chicklets, and the oddly spaced compact key layout was just as much of a problem as the rubber keys.  Better than the original Spectrum membrane...but not by much.  My dad had the TS 2068 which had hard plastic buttons with a more traditional spacing, which were a bit better.  Can't remember if there was a Spectrum equivalent for that.  Got the TS 1500 for about $100 on closeout when Timex closed the computer division, so can't complain much.  I remember a lot of ads for traditional aftermarket keyboards in the "enthusiast" magazines to connect to your Timex/Sinclair, but I was just a kid so I never had the money to consider them. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2021, 17:07:00 by bkrownd »

Offline retoid

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 20:12:44 »
Most laptop keyboards have been pretty poor for me.