Author Topic: Nice Model F XT on ebay - looks like a top shelf specimen  (Read 2544 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Nice Model F XT on ebay - looks like a top shelf specimen
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 22:10:16 »
'cause of soarer.

My favorite quote from the listing:
I THINK BUT AM NOT SURE THAT: This is an IBM “Model F” Keyboard. There are a LOT of “Model M” clicky keyboards out there, and to an untrained eye such as my own, they are often very hard to tell apart by box and visuals alone.
I should message him that it's an "M" and he should sell it to me for $40.

'pparantly the project gutenberg guy owned it.

I predict it will go up from the current $9.99

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 14:21:21 »
"CLICKETY-CLACKETY,

CLICKETY-CLICKETY-CLACKETY

We don’t get those sounds anymore.

Soft and muted, the touch of today’s laptops may be soothing, but sometimes we want to know that PEOPLE ARE WORKING AROUND HERE, OKAY?"

I like this seller.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 16:05:45 »
The picture looks like a coffin. Anyhow, let's pray the new owner will bring it back to life.

Offline JBert

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 12:59:45 »
$60 for a model F XT. At least it was NIB...
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline christoffer.braathen

• http://www.facebook.com/christoffer.braathen
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 05:36:12 »
New owner on line. I know, it went up quite a bit, and it's not even my first one. But it looked sp darn fresh and minty in it's coffin ;-) Dust-collector in the end I guess. Need to wear earmuffs when using them.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 13:42:45 »
That is a nice keyboard, don't sell it short.

Try to get "papers" on its ownership history from the seller, it may prove interesting in years to come.

A Teensy only costs $20, if you can do some minimal wiring it is not unusable.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 18:24:56 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;495020
That is a nice keyboard, don't sell it short.

Try to get "papers" on its ownership history from the seller, it may prove interesting in years to come.

A Teensy only costs $20, if you can do some minimal wiring it is not unusable.
I've no trouble with the Soarer teensy, but I've held off getting one because of the really weird layout.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 20:30:43 »
With 3 Model F 122-key terminal boards at various levels of modification, I have just about hit buckling spring nirvana, but if you are just using it straight up with no mods, the XT board really does have the nicest feel.

The layout is idiotic by modern standards, especially for somebody like me who uses arrow keys, home cluster, and numpad regularly and often, and never became comfortable with toggling NumLock off and on to suit my whims.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 22:38:41 »
Quote from: christoffer.braathen;494726
New owner on line. I know, it went up quite a bit, and it's not even my first one. But it looked sp darn fresh and minty in it's coffin ;-) Dust-collector in the end I guess. Need to wear earmuffs when using them.

Congratulations! It's a nice keyboard to add to your collection - NIB, Michael Hart, etc. - even if you aren't going to use it much. Like the others, I got a problem with the layout. On a Model F PC/AT, I could learn how to use the small backspace and toggle between NumLock on/off, but I figured life will be too difficult on a Model F XT.
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2