Author Topic: Ergonomic Mouse  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Ergonomic Mouse
« on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 06:07:41 »
I want a more ergonomic mouse and am looking for suggestions. What do you guys use/like/want?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:12:02 »
Every "true" ergonomic mouse has slanted vertical grip, as it allows for a natural type of movement to use it. A handshoe mouse is one of the best examples of this.. Though its not my overall perfect choice for best overall ergonomic mouse, since different features matter more to different people. I use the WMO, since I game a lot. Though I have been really wanting to mod a cheap vertical mouse with a better sensor. Something along the lines of a Goldtouch Ergonomic Mouse to a Sky Vertical Ergonomic.
|IMO 1.0 Frankenmouse WMO Internals |
|Access-IS AKC090 Ghetto Reds w/ O-Rings |

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:25:55 »
WMO? the simple microsoft mouse? that's not very ergonomic is it? :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:04:08 »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Inf3rn0_44

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 13:31:01 »
Quote from: Icarium;492474
WMO? the simple microsoft mouse? that's not very ergonomic is it? :)

Your right on both accounts. I use this mouse because
1. I am on a budget and I love gaming.
2. I need gaming grade equipment with accurate sensors. It has no prediction or accel. Medium perfect tracking speed aswell.
3. Its also more durable than the other top end mice. I have used almost all gaming mice.
4. Ambidextrous and Light weight.
5. I have not found an ergonomic mouse with a gaming grade sensor and an affordable price. (though I am considering doing a WMO sensor mod on an custom ergonomic mold or cheap ergo mouse.
6. Neck pain isnt going to win this battle.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 13:33:42 »
Quote from: input nirvana;492526
ROLLERMOUSE.

Period.

http://ergo.contour-design.com/

$200 dollars? For a clicky straw? And some plastic? Oh yeah you can even game on that either.. I'd save my money.

Offline Input Nirvana

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 14:03:36 »
Without considering price ..it's the ultimate clicky straw. No lies, bs, or smoke up your wazoo, it's uber-ergo, smooth, quality, extremely functional with about a dozen click functions. I've found (and you'll read others in GH have found) once you use it, it becomes very difficult to go back to a conventional mouse. It's really that hot.

I have a Free 2 that I use and have a Free that I'm selling since I don't need two units.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 14:13:24 »
But you really can't game on it can you? :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 14:24:08 »
I'm not a good person to ask about that, I just don't know. My thought is not-so-much. The best thing to do is to PM Ricercar, since he has one and games regularly. I don't know if JPC games with his or not. You can do a forum search, there are a couple threads with some reviews of the Rollermouse, and you can PM those people as well to see if they game with theirs. Also, contacting Contour Designs about that, they have always been VERY helpful and give straight up info on their units.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2012, 21:16:29 by input nirvana »

Offline boli

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 05:27:55 »
I wrote down my thoughts on the HandShoeMouse in this post. I'm not currently using it... this reminds me, I think I gave it to a coworker who's been using some sort of vertical mouse.

A few people at work use a rollermouse and seem to be very happy with it. One of these days I'll give it a go myself, though I'm a bit concerned it won't be easily accessible because of the height of the Kinesis keyboard. IN says it works great though, and I do wanna try anyway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2012, 05:30:44 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline DesktopJinx

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 12:55:41 »
I like the Evoluent vertical mouse. I use one at home and work. It strongly encourages you to use your arm to move it, rather than plant your palm and use your fingers. This is a good thing. (Pretty much any "oversize" mouse will help with this.)

I like the look of the HandShoeMouse but I've not tried one. I think I'd still prefer the more vertical hand position of the Evoluent.

Before the Evoluent, I used the Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. It also encourages whole-hand movement, by nature of being tall. It's like a round river rock in your hand. Hand position isn't as vertical as the Evoluent so it's less offputting, but it's still relaxed and comfortable. I found myself wishing that it was a little bigger, but my hands are slightly larger than average. I ended up giving it to my mother when she started feeling RSI pain and it helped a lot.
M15 for life

Offline jpc

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 16:27:22 »
I'm using a rollermouse pro 2 right now. They're pretty great.

Gotta say: keyboard shortcuts for your most common tasks go a long way here too. On Linux I found a window manager that's controlled entirely by keyboard, that was a help.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Input Nirvana

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 21:48:20 »
My thoughts:

I had an Evoluent Vertical Mouse 3 that I sold to Ironman31. I really liked it as opposed to a conventional mouse, the vertical part is good, plenty of buttons, feels great, etc, but I am so spoiled by the Rollermouse...so why slide my hand/arm all over the desk with a mouse? This ain't the stone age. But, let me be clear, I found nothing wrong with the Evoluent and recommend it.

I have used the Rollermouse with my Kinesis for years. It is not a perfect match only because of the obvious height difference which takes away a bit of the ergo and the convenience, but consider this....

1) The RollerMouse is a very highly awesome pointing device at several levels (ergo, features, benefits, etc.)
2 I love the Kinesis Advantage and can't/won't type on many other things. (only other keyboards I like to use are Datahand and Alphagrip)
3) At this point, I am a bit biased towards the RollerMouse (because it's the ****!). So it's worth the less-than-full-benefit of the ergo and convenience to use it in conjunction with the Kinesis Advantage, (which I am also hooked on).

I can't stress enough that the Rollermouse should be tried. Watching a youtube video just doesn't convey how it works. Contour Designs offers a 30 day free trial, that's how confident they are. About 5 people that have stayed with me when on vacation (I live at the beach in California) have gone back home to their lives in the snow, but treated themselves to their own Rollermouse. That'r a pretty big statement for the Rollermouse.

Jpc is so correct in using keyboard shortcuts. If you can remember them, they are by far the most effective method of control, and you should try to reduce any pointing device usage if you have RSI.

I hope my honest disclaimer (I love Kinesis Advantage, I love RollerMouse) helps balance my genuine enthusiasm for the great product that the Rollermouse is.

Offline Inf3rn0_44

Ergonomic Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 22:13:00 »
Quote from: DesktopJinx;511780
I like the Evoluent vertical mouse. I use one at home and work. It strongly encourages you to use your arm to move it, rather than plant your palm and use your fingers. This is a good thing. (Pretty much any "oversize" mouse will help with this.)

I like the look of the HandShoeMouse but I've not tried one. I think I'd still prefer the more vertical hand position of the Evoluent.

Before the Evoluent, I used the Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. It also encourages whole-hand movement, by nature of being tall. It's like a round river rock in your hand. Hand position isn't as vertical as the Evoluent so it's less offputting, but it's still relaxed and comfortable. I found myself wishing that it was a little bigger, but my hands are slightly larger than average. I ended up giving it to my mother when she started feeling RSI pain and it helped a lot.

The Microsoft Natural Mouse has a great shape! Shame it's wireless and laser.. I'd love to mod the mouse with a WMO's internals.