Author Topic: Has anyone ever been scammed before?  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Has anyone ever been scammed before?
« on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 14:23:15 »
I mean, I've never purchased anything off of somebody from a messageboard before. And other than some sort of organized purchase interface and structure, I don't really see the difference between purchasing something on ebay vs paying someone through paypal and having them mail somehing to you. Has anyone ever had bad experiences purchasing from someone on this board?
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 15:07:07 »
Not on this board. Everyone so far on geekhack I've bought/sold/traded with has been an upstanding human being.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 15:13:12 »
That's a relief.
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

fossala

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 15:21:41 »
I have sold and bought here and all has been fine.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 18:39:03 »
I've bought, sold and traded, never any issues.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 18:41:12 »
Quote from: lysol;497012
Not on this board. Everyone so far on geekhack I've bought/sold/traded with has been an upstanding human being.

same here. i haven't had any problems here so far.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 January 2012, 18:46:47 »
I've bought on here, got my first mechanical in the classifieds, a very smooth transaction :)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline chel-

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 10:46:19 »
Never on this board so far. In fact only once have I been scammed for anything.

Offline trax

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:04:18 »
As long as you do physical goods and know there address its al fine.

Id never pay somebody as a gift though.
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

fossala

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:06:07 »
I normally pay through gift if it is a little amount, say under £20.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 11:58:07 »
i've made 2 transactions on GH as a buyer and never an issue, everybody seems to be polite and well informed.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 21:23:23 »
i've had like 4 transactions. buy and sell. Everytime it's pleasent = ). Cept that time the post delivered to me a ripped open envelope, that was the posts fault.

That and like a few group buys have always been good = ).
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:46:54 »
Anyone with over 100 transactions have any input?

Offline pitashen

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:48:42 »
It sounds scary at first but it is not too bad of an experience overall. That is not to say there is no risk at all.  

I am still waiting for Lethal Squirrel mailing keys that I purchased from him over a month ago. He hasn't logged on with the account since Jan 1st.

I will give it another couple of months before I declare being scammed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:53:05 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:53:31 »
I've had at least a few hundred transaction across the many forums that I go to. I've been scammed a few times on an airsoft forums, where most of the members there are kids (10yrs old or younger) or teenagers. This shows their maturity level and lack of responsibility as a group. I also got scammed when it comes to bitcoins, but this is expected when the biggest aspect of bitcoins is about profit and greed. Computer forums, it's very rare to get scammed on computer hardware, but there's a few that are not totally honest about the condition. This forum has the best statistics based on the time that I've been here.

Cheers to GeekHack :)

This is from hundreds of transactions that I've done, and only about a dozen has been bad. So if you've only a few, odds are you'll be fine, nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:56:05 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 12:59:52 »
I have seen one post here. Where a guy shipped of his caps and was complaining that he got burned. Not sure if it ever got worked out though.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 15:35:10 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;501607
Anyone with over 100 transactions have any input?

no scams per se. Only one transaction where shipping ended up costing 19 instead of 9 € and the buyer never payed me the missing 10€.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline teknikality

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 11:31:04 »
Quote from: ripster;502346
Group Key Buy Four will be the one to watch.  For over $50K I'd sell my teenager.

So is this something I would be waiting for in the classified section???

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 14:07:41 »
I think the iTrader feedback is pretty representative of the risk involved.  Yes, that incident that lightsout714 mentioned in recorded there, but overall there is a lot of trust around here.  There is a lot of money passed around, and a few people have found honest ways of capitalizing on it.  I do worry that as the group gets larger we may attract scammers, but that is true of any online community and the reason we have paypal.  As a general rule, I use buyer protection with people who don't have feedback or low post counts, but I will send as gift for people that I know have been around for a while.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 14:20:34 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;502501
I think the iTrader feedback is pretty representative of the risk involved.  Yes, that incident that lightsout714 mentioned in recorded there, but overall there is a lot of trust around here.  There is a lot of money passed around, and a few people have found honest ways of capitalizing on it.  I do worry that as the group gets larger we may attract scammers, but that is true of any online community and the reason we have paypal.  As a general rule, I use buyer protection with people who don't have feedback or low post counts, but I will send as gift for people that I know have been around for a while.

I totally agree with this.  I prefer to deal with known people. But sometimes a new guy comes along. If I'm the seller I'm ok dealing with the new person. But they could always dispute the payment as soon as you ship. Between here and OCN I've done about 40 transactions and things have been good so far.

I personally try to stay away from the people with one post who are just on a site like this to get deals. I prefer active members of the community.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 18:35:10 »
Nobody has mentioned the whole Weipim thing that went down a while ago. Guy took money for a PLU-87 group buy, couldn't go through with it due to customs or something, and disappeared. Apparently some people got refunded, but I don't know if everyone was. Other than that, there really hasn't been much trouble. I've dealt with a ton of people on here, and all have been a pleasure to deal with.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:44:47 »
I am in the middle of a bad transaction. Not ready to name and shame yet, but it's 5 weeks since I paid for items and the guy hasn't shipped it yet. His definition of "tomorrow" in terms of responding to email is 5 days.
Every other purchase I have made here including group buys have been smooth as. I also buy/sell a lot at OCAU (hardware, WC and a few keyboards) and never had any problems in nearly 50 transactions
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 19:52:03 »
Quote from: Quarzac;502652
Nobody has mentioned the whole Weipim thing that went down a while ago. Guy took money for a PLU-87 group buy, couldn't go through with it due to customs or something, and disappeared. Apparently some people got refunded, but I don't know if everyone was. Other than that, there really hasn't been much trouble. I've dealt with a ton of people on here, and all have been a pleasure to deal with.

Yah someone could definitely rake in on a group buy. Buts its normally trusted people that do them.

Quote from: mehkat1974;502703
I am in the middle of a bad transaction. Not ready to name and shame yet, but it's 5 weeks since I paid for items and the guy hasn't shipped it yet. His definition of "tomorrow" in terms of responding to email is 5 days.
Every other purchase I have made here including group buys have been smooth as. I also buy/sell a lot at OCAU (hardware, WC and a few keyboards) and never had any problems in nearly 50 transactions
Holy crap 5 weeks is a long ass time. I would have demanded a refund a while ago. I personally would like to know the persons name just so I could avoid them in the future.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:19:27 »
Nah I am in communication with him and am going to give him the benefit of the doubt - I have already said that if he can't ship and give me some tracking info in the next couple of days I want a refund, if that doesn't happen I will be posting.
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:32:14 »
Quote from: Quarzac;502652

Weipim took off?  I wondered what happened with that.  Thats too bad.  He got me my poker w/reds for less than the going-rate a while back. There is always the risk that something bad happens to someone and they could be in the hospital, or worse.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 20:49:48 »
Quote from: mehkat1974;502744
Nah I am in communication with him and am going to give him the benefit of the doubt - I have already said that if he can't ship and give me some tracking info in the next couple of days I want a refund, if that doesn't happen I will be posting.

Yah not looking to get anybody flamed. But some people are just really laxed on shipping. Obviously this takes the cake. I try to ship within 24 hours. It kind of bothers me when people let a week go by before getting around to it.Obviously not everyone has the time but still.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 21:23:41 »
I haven't been scammed around here. Though, I do find the teenage maturity comment to be a bit incorrect, as I consider myself to be quite mature for my age. I have gone through multiple transactions, all have gone smoothly so far.:biggrin:

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 21:35:02 »
^ So how do you know the age of the seller? Do you ask his/her id ;-)
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 22:06:01 »
To each their own, but I treat my boards with respect. I do agree however that many teenagers can be unreliable, but then again Ripster did give his son a mech board.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 23:02:35 »
Quote from: ripster;502810
I'd never buy a used keyboard from a teenager.

Too much fapping.
I, for one, take meticulous care to keep foreign substances off my keyboards. However, I understand your concern. Keyboards are scary places.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

fossala

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:46:16 »
Quote from: SmallFry;502841
To each their own, but I treat my boards with respect. I do agree however that many teenagers can be unreliable, but then again Ripster did give his son a mech board.

My 4 year old types on a Unicomp spacesaver. He went through 5 cheap RD and I was sick of replacing them so I gave him something he could abuse and still wouldn't break.