Author Topic: G9x? or something else?  (Read 7845 times)

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 04:59:58 »
So, as I'm looking at getting a G9x, to replace my sidewinder X5 with a disintegrating scroll-wheel.
I don't know what grip I would prefer, as my current mouse forces palm grip.

What other mice would you recommend? The cheapest G9x I can find is $55 AUD delivered, so I'd like it to be the same price or cheaper.

Offline FKSSR

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 09:06:30 »
Unless you have pretty small hands, the G9X won't allow very much of a palm grip.  It's really best for fingertip or claw, but you can probably adjust to that.  The smoother grip will probably be more comfortable to you at first, but you can just try both if you get it.  I used the slimmer, rougher grip for a while, but I just switched to the wider, smooth grip, because it makes my hand cramp up less.  That's mainly because I play more FPS multiplayer these days which changed the way I use the mouse (as opposed to RTS or RPG).  That's all personal, though.

What are you looking for in a mouse?  I got a Deathadder Black a week or so ago, and I think it's great for palm grippers.  I'm getting a Corsair M60 and Spawn today, but the latter is definitely a small, claw-grip mouse.  So, it's all in what specs and shape you're looking for.  The other mouse I'm looking at is a Zowie AM.  It's highly recommended.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 09:08:42 »
I used the G9x for about 2 years. It is a great mouse, but it is definitely more conducive for "palm grip" people. Over time and getting into RTS games I found that a smaller, ambidextrous mouse was the right one for me. I bought the Razer Abyssus and have no complaints, but I guess it's all in what you need.

Also how in the hell could you stand using the sidewinder =P
Filco MJ2 Ninja | IBM Model M 1391401

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 09:20:40 »
G9x is good if you don't mind the crappy middle click. Deathadder and G500 are other good choices.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 01:32:23 »
My friend made me buy it on impulse, before I looked at the replies to this thread.

How could the middle click be any worse than what I have?
Also, I thought my side-winder was quite comfortable until I used my friends g400 today, it was much nicer.

On another note, I also tried reds today, and I didn't like them.

Offline Bertross

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 05:04:09 »
Microsoft Intell 3, one if the best mouses in the world.

Corsair M60 awesome, its my current mouse. I would not trade this for anything.

Logi G9X, eh was ok a few issues on some of the buttons.

Razer Imperator was awesome with the 2012 ed. Great for gaming.

Steel Series Sensei was awesome for a Mac mouse, hated in on windows. i didn't like its symmetry.

Logi G5 is still one of my favs, just a nice shape, using it on my mac.
REALFORCE 86UB / FILCO MJ2 87 BROWN PBT WHITE/BLUE

Offline FKSSR

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 06:09:44 »
Quote from: Bertross;521660
Corsair M60 awesome, its my current mouse. I would not trade this for anything.

I got a M60 yesterday, but it feels sooo heavy, even with all of the weights out.  Did you have to adjust to its weight?

I love the shape, and it feels very accurate.  I'm just worried the weight will start to get tiring during long gaming sessions.  Maybe I can just adapt.  I will be using it for a week to see how I feel then.

EDIT: I just compared it to my G9 that I used for 2 years, and they seem similar in weight.  I think I just got a little used to the Deathadder's light weight after using it a week. :P  So, maybe the M60 won't be hard to adjust to.

I also have the Spawn to try out after the M60.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 06:12:53 by FKSSR »

Offline WTFGoD

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:30:05 »
i own the g9x i consider it a decent mouse (Use fingertip grip) with the bigger shell

upsides : comfortable
             Customizable weight+Dpi+scroll wheel
             mediumish size

Downsides : little heavy
                 feet are iffy ( other mice i have slide far easier)
                 little shaky ( the mouse isnt 100% secure with shell-rattles a bit)

+/-   :ergonomics a little off(while comfortable, when i game i use it at an angle +15deg so i can get thumb farther up the mouse.... better for me)
                 Braided cord picks up dust and is a little rigid

if i was to pick up another mouse today i would prolly get the Razer Abysuss(RTS mouse)
or the CM Storm Spawn( looks pretty comfy )

Keep in mind i play RTS Games exclusively also use for casual browsing (fingertip+claw) mouse is a little small for palm (unless small hands)

Offline FKSSR

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 11:41:27 »
I got new feet for my G9 which definitely makes it glides a lot better than even when my G9 was new.

For RTS, I can definitely recommend the Abyssus or Spawn.  I honestly don't think you can go wrong there.  I am selling a Salmosa (the Abyssus predecessor) that some RTS guys swear by, if you're interested. :P  I personally find it a little more comfortable than the Abyssus, but I don't really play RTS anymore.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 12:59:35 »
I prefer the CM Spawn. The G9x was too uncomfortable for FPSs. I now use it for my desktop. They are both good for RTSs.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 01:17:40 »
I got it today.
It's too early to tell if I like it or not.
It's definitively better than my X5.
Although the scroll wheel is requires a LOT of force to push it down.
After using it for a little bit, I really wish that the wide load grip had the texture of the smaller one (don't know it's name)
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2012, 04:16:24 by PixelVandalism »

Offline WTFGoD

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 11:11:22 »
your insane ...  you prefer coarse bumpyness over silky smoothness?? :boink:

Offline All The Fire

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 17:52:55 »
The precision grip, and I think it has a much nicer texture than the wide grip too, it never get's gunky. Dust and grime will stick to that wide grip, I had it sitting on my desk for months and when I tried to clean the dust off it I ended up rubbing it all in and now the grip feels all sticky.

Pretty bad scroll wheel though, I don't even use middle click anymore with it and the notches seem to be wearing down for me, been getting unwanted extra scrolls lately.

But for everything else, personally, I think this a great mouse. Been using it for a year and have recently gotten a RAT7 albino, Corsair M60, G300 and G400 and I still use the G9x over all of them. Only problem with the M60 though was that it bricked itself trying to set macros, so I returned it.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 00:05:06 »
Quote from: WTFGoD;532086
your insane ...  you prefer coarse bumpyness over silky smoothness?? :boink:

You sir, clearly live in Antarctica.

Quote from: All The Fire;532524
The precision grip, and I think it has a much nicer texture than the wide grip too, it never get's gunky. Dust and grime will stick to that wide grip, I had it sitting on my desk for months and when I tried to clean the dust off it I ended up rubbing it all in and now the grip feels all sticky.

Pretty bad scroll wheel though, I don't even use middle click anymore with it and the notches seem to be wearing down for me, been getting unwanted extra scrolls lately.

But for everything else, personally, I think this a great mouse. Been using it for a year and have recently gotten a RAT7 albino, Corsair M60, G300 and G400 and I still use the G9x over all of them. Only problem with the M60 though was that it bricked itself trying to set macros, so I returned it.

I've been using the unlocked scroll wheel :D
I think the scroll wheel is great,
That's probably because of how "good" it is in the x5..
I never middle clicked on my old mouse,
So I don't care for middle click on this one.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 00:21:42 »
I love my G500. If you look at my post history here, it's basically just a string of posts of me recommending it. It suits my half-palm grip well, and would probably do just as well for a full-palm user. Also, the flywheel is awesome.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline All The Fire

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:05:57 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;532854
I've been using the unlocked scroll wheel :D
I think the scroll wheel is great,
That's probably because of how "good" it is in the x5..
I never middle clicked on my old mouse,
So I don't care for middle click on this one.
Even in games? I use the free scroll for browsing only, I'd have an incredibly hard time changing weapons on a free scroll. As long as the slight rattles from the grips on the body when lifting it and putting it down don't bother you, I think you'd really like the mouse.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:15:12 »
Quote from: All The Fire;532910
Even in games? I use the free scroll for browsing only, I'd have an incredibly hard time changing weapons on a free scroll. As long as the slight rattles from the grips on the body when lifting it and putting it down don't bother you, I think you'd really like the mouse.

I haven't played anything that I've had to use the scroll wheel in since I've gotten it.
I usually just fly things in BF3.

Offline WTFGoD

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 06:49:55 »
O.O
you people are clearly crazy !

Maybe thats why my firefox shows this site as MALICIOus and blocking it ??

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:18:18 »
Quote from: WTFGoD;533017
O.O
you people are clearly crazy !

Maybe thats why my firefox shows this site as MALICIOus and blocking it ??

This thread is what made google mark this site as malicious. :D
How do you like the smoothness of the wide grip, I used it for about and hour today.
It was TERRIBLE.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 06:28:06 »
This is really dissapointing..
I am having to use my X5 just for the macros...
The G9x has the WORST macro features EVER! It doesn't let you have things repeat fast enough to be useful.

Offline All The Fire

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 20:13:45 »
Hmmm, my macro's are just arbitrary letters I don't use in games so games will recognise all my mouse buttons. I might have a look into this though.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 06:04:20 »
Quote from: All The Fire;535244
Hmmm, my macro's are just arbitrary letters I don't use in games so games will recognise all my mouse buttons. I might have a look into this though.

They're not really that bad, they just wouldn't work for what I wanted to do..
I wanted it to left or right click every 1ms.

Offline boli

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 06:34:11 »
I hardly ever use the mouse driver provided by the manufacturer. Instead I use a generic input device driver, such as USB Overdrive or ControllerMate. Note these 2 are for Mac OS X, but surely something similar exists for other OSs.

ControllerMate in particular has a crazy amount of options. One could for example use it to make a particular keyboard button toggle on/off automatic repetitive actions, which could be useful for crafting/disenchanting/prospecting/... in a game like WoW.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline All The Fire

G9x? or something else?
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 05:47:13 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;535593
They're not really that bad, they just wouldn't work for what I wanted to do..
I wanted it to left or right click every 1ms.
Had a bit of a play around, there aren't a great deal of options with it's macro editor but I think I may have got what you're looking for.

So all my macro's are basically one letter down and up with no delays or repeat options, holding a button in notepad acts just as if you were holding a key on the keyboard. Now I set up a new macro with a letter down, 1ms delay, then up. You can do this by either clicking on 'record delay' and then right clicking --> editing the delay to 1ms after recording, or just right clicking --> insert delay on any button press. Back in the asign buttons menu I assigned this new macro to a button and then in the drop down under that I picked while pressed. Opening notepad I found the new macro would register/send multiple presses a lot faster than any of my other macro's just assigned to a press. Of course, you have to hold the button for this, if you were looking for it to toggle then I think you're out of luck.

The only thing you can not do is actually assign a macro to the left click, which is, as far as I am aware, pretty standard for all mice. I'm a little wary of people wanting to macro mouse clicks, I have mained the FAL in CoD all throughout MW2 and blops and find a macro/scrolling really cheap.

Also, I just noticed your sig. Where did you get the white spacebar for your Leopold?
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2012, 05:54:36 by All The Fire »

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
G9x? or something else?
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 06:05:49 »
Quote from: All The Fire;536744
Had a bit of a play around, there aren't a great deal of options with it's macro editor but I think I may have got what you're looking for.

So all my macro's are basically one letter down and up with no delays or repeat options, holding a button in notepad acts just as if you were holding a key on the keyboard. Now I set up a new macro with a letter down, 1ms delay, then up. You can do this by either clicking on 'record delay' and then right clicking --> editing the delay to 1ms after recording, or just right clicking --> insert delay on any button press. Back in the asign buttons menu I assigned this new macro to a button and then in the drop down under that I picked while pressed. Opening notepad I found the new macro would register/send multiple presses a lot faster than any of my other macro's just assigned to a press. Of course, you have to hold the button for this, if you were looking for it to toggle then I think you're out of luck.

The only thing you can not do is actually assign a macro to the left click, which is, as far as I am aware, pretty standard for all mice. I'm a little wary of people wanting to macro mouse clicks, I have mained the FAL in CoD all throughout MW2 and blops and find a macro/scrolling really cheap.

Also, I just noticed your sig. Where did you get the white spacebar for your Leopold?

I was using the macro to break blocks in MC,
I'll have to try that next time I play it.

I atempted to make the spacebar myself,
It's not actually on the keyboard at the moment,
I didn't do a very good job of it.

You could ask this guy to make you one?