Author Topic: Do people still buy WASD keyboards?  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Shinx

Do people still buy WASD keyboards?
« on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:28:05 »
I don't see them recommended on here as much anymore and I was curious if someone ordered a keyboard and got scorpions or wasps or something instead of a keyboard in the box. I was about to buy one, but the lack of people buzzing (heh) about them has put me off from getting one. Is the build quality any good in them? What are people actually suggesting to get now?

Offline Shinx

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:31:39 »
That would explain a lot. I haven't been lerking here so much recently and I miss out on this kinda stuff. Good to hear no scorpions were hurt due to actions of WASD keyboards. Keep our scorpions safe.

Offline funxion

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:39:52 »
Definitely ordering a WASD with a white case and black PBT caps as soon as it's available.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mkeeley

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:44:37 »
So does that mean they'll be offering custom PBT key caps sometime then?  If so I might wait before ordering some.
Marc

Offline SBI

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 16:46:58 »
Dito, will be placing an order soon, now that the ISO-Option has become available. This is just what I've been waiting for, seeing as how it's impossible to get cool keyboards with my native layout otherwise :D

Offline Shinx

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:00:11 »
Please tell me they'll be making external numpads too, because then I could theme my numpad to be Garry's Mod related or something insane like that.

EDIT: I can't remember the general consensus about Cherry Clears and Gaming. Can someone confirm/deny if clears are good for gaming or not for me PUHLEEZ? <3

Offline SBI

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:03:02 »
It's always as good as you manage to adjust to it. With just about any switch. I find them to be absolutely unproblematic for gaming.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:04:14 »
I was going to buy one except, as someone mentioned, they are out of a lot of stuff (keycaps and the boards themselves).  I would probably only buy a barebones board from them, however.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline stingrae

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:07:04 »
Think when they get a tenkeyless layout there will be more people using them and ofc pbt caps would help edge them over say filco...Good boards by the looks of the reviews kinda want one due to the customization option...
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline SBI

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:17:14 »
And a different set of springs *cough* ;)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:33:01 »
I have one :( And it's really good. Sick customer service as well. Still waiting for PBT + new colors + white casing, and I'll be getting myself a TKL whenever it comes out. It just sucks that they're out of stock on so many things as of recently.
I love Elzy

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:43:53 »
how good are there keycaps compared to cherry double shots?

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:44:51 »
They need to get PBT Caps that fit on topre boards so we can put our own custom designs, symbols, and color designs without having to pay 100's of dollars in keys you wont really use/shipping and wait for stock constantly.

I'd love a HHKB with a black/red PBT checkerboard style /w custom symbols over the dips :D.

I also agree on them getting a TKL board and start venturing into smaller board sizes and they'd pull ALOT of the market. Imagine them doing custom LED designs too /w keyboard case engraving lol.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline Shinx

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:47:20 »
How small can the custom designs be? theres one I want to cram on my capslock key but I'm not sure how small the lines can be and I might need to rescale it or thicken the lines or something.

Offline funxion

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 17:47:44 »
If they did a Topre with custom designs for a significantly cheaper price than RF's or HHKB's, they'd have so much going for them.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 18:08:11 »
Quote from: NorrisB;570132
how good are there keycaps compared to cherry double shots?

No comparison really. See closeup pics on my website. They're lasering technique is decent but the fonts are thin and faded compared to cherry corp ds.

P.s. it's "their" not "there".

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 18:36:11 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;570146
No comparison really. See closeup pics on my website. They're lasering technique is decent but the fonts are thin and faded compared to cherry corp ds.

P.s. it's "their" not "there".

Does the thickness matter?  It looks like the cherry ones are a lot thicker.

ps its amusing that you used the wrong "their" as well lol
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 April 2012, 18:38:58 by NorrisB »

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 23:05:19 »
I had no idea their releasing a TKL board and PBT caps. They're boards do look really good I have often thought about getting one but only use TKL, don't like fullsize boards.
There going to be raking it in when they get these new boards out, will be killer competition for Filco, Leo etc
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline mkeeley

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 23:25:55 »
Quote from: mehkat1974;570332
I had no idea their releasing a TKL board and PBT caps. They're boards do look really good I have often thought about getting one but only use TKL, don't like fullsize boards.
There going to be raking it in when they get these new boards out, will be killer competition for Filco, Leo etc

They need to sort out their supply problems before they can rake it in but hope they can.
Marc

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 23:37:33 »
Can't wait for PBT and Tkl stuff from WASD. Great guy/company. Can see myself at least ordering 1 board and 1 set of caps for a Filco I have.
I hate everything.

Offline Keyboarder

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 00:07:56 »
What kind of keycaps does WASD produce?

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 00:18:07 »
Quote from: NorrisB;570162

lol'd

Quote from: Keyboarder;570366
What kind of keycaps does WASD produce?

ABS
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 02:55:41 »
They are doing clears? Wow that's unexpected, but highly satisfying.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 04:34:54 »
Quote from: mkeeley;570339
They need to sort out their supply problems before they can rake it in but hope they can.

I think you mean "They're need to sort out there supply problems before their can rake it in"

Over hurr over thurr that's the catchphrase...

OK OK I'm done :)

I hope so too, I'm sure they will. Seems like a top company like Awful says. Just been having a browse of his sub forum. I have never used clears maybe that's the cherry
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 April 2012, 04:37:15 by mehkat1974 »
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 07:05:33 »
Quote from: NorrisB;570162
Does the thickness matter?  It looks like the cherry ones are a lot thicker.

Thanks! Glad I made you lol.

Thickness matters to some...personally I tend to prefer thicker keycaps.

Offline mkeeley

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 08:56:25 »
Quote from: mehkat1974;570472
I think you mean "They're need to sort out there supply problems before their can rake it in"

Over hurr over thurr that's the catchphrase...

OK OK I'm done :)

I hope so too, I'm sure they will. Seems like a top company like Awful says. Just been having a browse of his sub forum. I have never used clears maybe that's the cherry

I know, it's amazing how many native English speakers get their theirs and there's wrong, it's not complicated.

I've contacted them a couple of times and they seem really helpful and personal so would be nice to see them become more recognised.
Marc

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 13:23:37 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;570494
Thanks! Glad I made you lol.

Thickness matters to some...personally I tend to prefer thicker keycaps.

There is a fuller feeling to thicker caps, i personally like them. Especially if they are a more gritty PBT.

I only dream of nice, thin, and clear translucent non-printed caps coated in a translucent PBT to add thickness. Clear/frosted PBT rippled rough caps that would distort LED's. Then a translucent/frosted switch board with tealish or white controlled dim LEDs that seep through the rippled PBT keys,translucent switchboard, and frosted/rippled TKL case giving it a hue that just screams "type on me, my beautiful white topre tits have perk and feel no other woman can give"

I'd type that board so hard, type it hard all through the night. For a see through board with topre switches, thick non-printed translucent pbt caps is a dirty girl just waiting for fingers all over. Now if only WASD would make that dream come into tuition.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 16:17:14 »
Am I the only one who finds their customiser really confusing and borderline broken?

What WASD really need though is a Mrs Tweedy machine – browns and clears go in, pies and ergo clears come out.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 19:45:44 »
Now that they have the ISO layout,  I'm just waiting for a DIP switch to swap caps-lock and left control.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 17:10:47 »
Quote from: tipo33;570987
Now that they have the ISO layout,  I'm just waiting for a DIP switch to swap caps-lock and left control.

This.  I have to have this feature anymore.  Even the switch key on the noppoo choc mini is sufficient.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 17:13:45 »
I read this thread the other day and got really excited about PBT's from WASD, but I looked into his future plans post on here and don't see any mention of going to PBT. Is it confirmed that he's going to start doing Pbt stuff?
I hate everything.

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 18:25:07 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;570146

I'm not sure how long you used the keyboard for, but please keep in mind that laser etching does need to be "broken in". Legends will actually get darker with use. Also, remember that the fonts can be changed if you want something thicker or you can just bold the characters.

Quote from: Awful;571760
I read this thread the other day and got really excited about PBT's from WASD, but I looked into his future plans post on here and don't see any mention of going to PBT. Is it confirmed that he's going to start doing Pbt stuff?

I haven't updated that thread yet, but yes, we are absolutely going to have PBT keys in the near future. I'm hoping we can get everything done and shipped to us by the end of May.

Also, I know our stock has been rather inconsistent for the past few months and apologize for the inconveniences. The business is still very new, so demand was hard to gauge. Also, we were unexpectedly hit with a 16+ week manufacturing time when it typically is 8-10 weeks. Inventory issues will slowly get ironed out as the business grows and I have more data to help with forecasting our inventory needs.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 18:29:25 »
You're the man. Can't wait to order some yellow pbts to replace the Filco ones my board came with. Then when you release the TKL totally getting one :D So excited for the stuff you've got coming in the future.
I hate everything.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 18:42:38 »
Quote from: Daniel Beardsmore;570813
Am I the only one who finds their customiser really confusing and borderline broken?

What WASD really need though is a Mrs Tweedy machine – browns and clears go in, pies and ergo clears come out.

You can get the hang of it and once you realize that your last settings you set are applied to the next keys that you select it gets easier to configure.  However I still opted to make my design in adobe illustrator and upload a PDF instead of the designer.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 19:31:30 »
Yeah I figured it out this time around :)

Unfortunately they don't do white printing. I'd like a FILCO official ISO RGB modifiers set with the correct font and white pad printing :)

The other problem I have with WASD—and IBM for that matter—is the gaudy colour range. There's just no subtlety whatsoever – no dark shades, no low saturation colours, and the only inbetween shades are grey and orange. Even for that RGB modifier set I'd like more muted colours, a little more dignified. Even if they did do, say, dark olive drab (BBC Micro editing keys), there's no white printing for the legends.

Sadly, the one system where I specifically want black text, a custom colour, and where mere laser burning is acceptable (the existing keys are lasered) … is an ALPS board … no love for ALPS :(
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 21:06:37 »
Their custom designer is temperamental, for sure.  It's flash, afterall.  You can also design the keyboard offline, but it costs more to go that route.

The caps are ABS and are the exact same profile as my Rosewill, for FWIW.
Russ

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 03:54:05 »
Quote from: rknize;571946
Their custom designer is temperamental, for sure.  It's flash, afterall.  You can also design the keyboard offline, but it costs more to go that route.

The caps are ABS and are the exact same profile as my Rosewill, for FWIW.

Actually, it's the same price. You need to make your online design blank so the price goes down by $10 to offset the cost.

I know it's a little confusing right now, but we'll try to continue to revise both the designer and the options to make it more user friendly.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards