Author Topic: Want a mechanical keyboard, need recommendations!  (Read 1021 times)

Offline aznsilvrboy

Want a mechanical keyboard, need recommendations!
« on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 21:33:34 »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and am looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I remember how great of a feeling it was typing on my dad's IBM Model M back in the day but I had no idea it was a mechanical keyboard before. I've been using cheap membrane keyboards since I had my own computer and want to make the switch back to mechanical, but I need some help. I will be using this as my regular keyboard for every day tasks and playing games (mainly MMO and RTS like StarCraft 2). I have been lurking and reading geekhack for the past two weeks so I only have some very basic understanding about this stuff. I have a list of requirements that I want to satisfy, but I can't seem to find the right one for me. So here they are:

- Need numpad
- Cherry MX brown or red
- Backlit (More like a very big want than a need)
- Non glossy
- Good quality

I was considering between the Ducky Shine DK9008S and the CM Storm Rapidfire Pro, but I read that the cherry stabilizers in the Ducky causes non-uniform and meshy feel? People here also don't seem to be very fond of Ducky. I'm also not a fan of the partial backlit and amount of branding on the Rapidfire Pro not to mention there are very few reviews out so far. I've also read that the RFP is not made by the same company as the QFR and is of lesser quality? There also seems to be some confusion as to whether it uses Costar or Cherry stabilizers (I think someone on OCN said they use Cherry style, but DecryptedTech posted a pic showing Costar style stabilizers).

Can someone clear up some of my confusions provide me some insight on what's best for me? Assuming I can live without backlit, what would you recommendation be then? Thanks.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 21:45:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I'm not a backlit expert, but I'd probably go for the Storm over the Ducky.

Offline aznsilvrboy

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 22:02:08 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;575105
Welcome to Geekhack!

I'm not a backlit expert, but I'd probably go for the Storm over the Ducky.

Hi thanks for replying. Can you briefly tell me why you would go for the Storm over the Ducky? You also mention you're not a backlit expert, but what if I am able to live without the backlit. What would be your recommendation?

Offline aznsilvrboy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 22:57:14 »
Quote from: dante;575154
If you were willing to live without backlighting and can wait until the end of the month I would highly recommend a WASD w/ Cherry Browns or Reds.

Why until the end of the month? Do are they out of stock or something?