Author Topic: Hello Geekhack  (Read 2283 times)

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 14:11:08 »
Hello to everyone, I've been lurking around this impressive keyboard forum for a while now and I decided to finally join and hopefully get a little bit more involved and learn new things since I don't know all that much about keyboards. In fact, I discovered how little I know when I bought my first mechanical keyboard and ended up with something that wasn't suitable for my needs. :brick: I was going to post in the classifieds forum but I decided against it since not many people would feel inclined to buy from someone who they don't know at all and just joined so here I am.

Offline Djuzuh

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 14:16:16 »
Welcome :D

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Hello Geekhack
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 14:28:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Hello Geekhack
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 14:31:34 »
Welcome to GH!  Out of curiosity, what did you initially get?
Russ

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 15:04:59 »
Hey all!

To respond to rknize's question, I got a daskeyboard silent ultimate. This means mx Brown switches as opposed to the linear Red or Black because of the float that is much more controllable with linear compared to the non linear brown.

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 16:58:32 »
I've been looking at the Rosewill RK-9000RE and Leopold FC500R. They have Red switches which seem like the best choice. The keyboards seem very similar though. Is there any noticeable difference between them that could determine weather I should buy one or the other?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Hello Geekhack
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 18:54:12 »
Hello stereophonic.

I like your avy.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 19:20:08 »
hey thanks! i assume you know what it is...?

Offline funxion

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 19:46:12 »
Welcome to GH! And wait for the Leopold FC700R!
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 20:04:15 »
hey thanks!

yep I'm thinking it's going to be that Leopold. The differences are small (apart from Leopold being the successor of filco) but nevertheless, a better kb is a better kb. Can't really buy it before I get rid of my current one tho ):

Offline fstop

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 21:07:16 »
Welcome to GH!

You can find some really good deals in classifieds for the Rosewill or Leopold. Seen some going for as cheap as $80 lately. I suggest a TKL model though. You'll grow to love it :). Unless you need the numpad for work I guess.
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 21:27:38 »
hey thanks! I'm not too fond of the TKL models. I don't use the numpad super often but it's a welcome edition since it's important for some games. Especially when there are 2 people playing on the same kayboard + the nkey rollover.

Offline Gerk

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 12:11:27 »
Personally I'd go with the Rosewill if price is a factor.  You can get them into Canada without having to pay big taxes and duties, Leopold's ... not so much.  I picked up a Rosewill RK-9000RE from newegg.ca when they were on sale (I think I paid < $100 shipped and it arrived within 2 days).  My last Leopold was double that by the time I paid shipping, taxes and duties and it took 10 days to arrive.  Food for thought.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:01:55 »
Thanks for the advice. The leopold will cost me like 135 bucks with shipping, where as the rosewill will be around 144.

I've just discovered that stabilizers in a keyboard can make a big difference and that is something I didn't know when I chose these 2 keyboards so right now I'm gathering info on that.

I might open a thread in the keyboard section because I'm piling up a bunch of questions now that i can't really get an answer to only from surfing the web.

Offline Gerk

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:11:59 »
That would be $135 before taxes and duty for the Leopold.  Add 13% HST to that plus whatever the tarriff/duty works out to be (from memory I think it was just over $40 for a $109).  Honestly it will be more like $200 by the time you get the Leopold in the door.  You won't pay any duty on the Rosewill from newegg.ca -- they have already "imported" they keyboard to Canada for you.  Something to consider.

If you're looking for advice you are best to open a thread in the keyboard area.  Make sure to tell others you are from Canada (in case they don't notice in your account area on the left).  Makes a big difference.  Ask any of the other canucks on here that have "imported" keyboards.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline stereophonic

Hello Geekhack
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:14:25 »
Alright, I'll do that thanks.