Author Topic: Compaq MX 11800 - Squeaky Trackball  (Read 3596 times)

Offline v0id

Compaq MX 11800 - Squeaky Trackball
« on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 04:30:02 »
Found this side not long ago; information overload! Spent so much time educating myself on computer input devices.  Along the way, picked up some keyboards to find out what I might like best.  Found out I was already using Dell AT101W before coming here.  Then, picked up a Leopold MX Blue and a IBM Model M.  Still have many more choices to try and explore. :)

Stumbled upon a Compaq MX 11800 MX Brown for cheap.  Keyboard works fine.  However, the trackball is squeaky.  Any advice?  I have no idea how to properly take out the ball.  Or what can I do to stop the squeaky sounds?  

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52284[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52285[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52286[/ATTACH]

Please advise.  Thanks.
Black Dell AT101W | Leopold TKL (Blue) | IBM Model M

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 05:01:25 »
To remove the trackball you have to turn the black ring, that's what the two little holes are for. Then you can remove the ball, and clean the little red ruby balls and the trackball. Also carefully clean the tilted black sensor surface on the bottom. This should make the feeling much better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 05:08:33 »
For trackballs that stick/squeak you clean the bearings and rub forehead grease on the trackball. If your forehead doesn't produce grease you'll have to find a substitute.

It's worked for over a decade in my family, so the forehead grease power has been proven.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2012, 05:12:21 by The_Ed »
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline v0id

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 05:22:50 »
Quote from: RC-1140;607717
To remove the trackball you have to turn the black ring, that's what the two little holes are for. Then you can remove the ball, and clean the little red ruby balls and the trackball. Also carefully clean the tilted black sensor surface on the bottom. This should make the feeling much better.

Thanks.  That did the trick.

Quote from: The_Ed;607718
For trackballs that stick/squeak you clean the bearings and rub forehead grease on the trackball. If your forehead doesn't produce grease you'll have to find a substitute.

It's worked for over a decade in my family, so the forehead grease power has been proven.

Lol.  Free grease.  

No more squeaky.  I'm a happy camper!

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 05:24:42 »
But did you use forehead grease? There's nothing smoother than a trackball that's been rubbed on your forehead.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline v0id

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 05:49:56 »
Quote from: The_Ed;607724
But did you use forehead grease? There's nothing smoother than a trackball that's been rubbed on your forehead.

Yes, I did put on some forehead grease.  The difference is not that noticeable since I did this after I got the inner workings of the trackball clean.

Squeaky --Big Difference-> Cleaning (No Squeaky) [Satisfied] --Tiny Difference--> Forehead Grease

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 06:05:34 »
My dad's forehead grease is the best of all of us for trackballs. So your forehead grease making a "tiny difference" sounds like your forehead grease is a different consistency. Try someone else's forehead next.
R.I.P.ster

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 14:38:13 »
ripster swears by nose-grease.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 19:45:43 »
Quote it or it didn't happen.
R.I.P.ster

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 19:57:39 »
The MX11800 is a good keyboard for browns, the caps are a good thickness and weight.  The earlier ones have centered "nipple nubs" on F and J that I really like but nothing wrong with the ones with bars like yours has.

FYI I would't mention any bodily grease application in the ad if you ever decide to sell it. ;)
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline v0id

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 01:58:11 »
Quote from: didjamatic;608888
The MX11800 is a good keyboard for browns, the caps are a good thickness and weight.  The earlier ones have centered "nipple nubs" on F and J that I really like but nothing wrong with the ones with bars like yours has.

FYI I would't mention any bodily grease application in the ad if you ever decide to sell it. ;)

I found that the caps are of different heights; some are just half the heights of others.  It does strikes me as odd.

Organic grease. ;)

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 02:45:19 »
I still remember learning the forehead grease trick from my dad as a kid. I believe there were other things it was good for as well... AH!... Whenever the GPS suction cup comes off in the car he rubs it on his forehead to make it seal better.
R.I.P.ster