Author Topic: Mac People - what would you buy now?  (Read 14262 times)

Offline Dave B

Mac People - what would you buy now?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 17:55:48 »
Quote from: Frenden;614102
I've given the retina Pro a solid look and think waiting a year for a revision 2 model, and for devs to retina-ify their apps, might be a good idea.

Looking at the Retina MacBook, I did wonder if it might have been designed with next year's CPU in mind. Haswell is reported to be targeted for lower power/heat and MacBooks already had a reputation for running hot in the larger unibody.

Offline Amr0d

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 15:58:06 »
I ordered a normal Macbook Pro with high-res antiglare. This will hopefully do the job for the next 7 years
Filco MJ2 TKL browns | Race 75% LE reds | Phantom GH Edition soon™

HeatWare

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 18:14:26 »
good choice. i don't know about 7 years, as i suspect we'll all be flying hovercars by then, but the standard unibody models have been serving pretty much everyone i know very well over the last few years.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 18:17:59 »
Man I'm still running a discrete 2007 macbook pro, pretty much maxed out on upgrades and running great. I'd probably get frustrated doing a lot of heavy graphical work though.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 20:36:43 »
I decided to order a refurb 13" 2.8. That way I'm not spending so much that I can still get a Mac Pro when they're updated next year (crossing fingers).

Offline cr0ben

Re: Mac People - what would you buy now?
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 15:43:33 »
I'd get a new iMac when they are refreshed in September. There's also some speculation that the resolution will updated to retina quality.

Offline Zhentar

• I'm new here!!
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 21:41:59 »
Looking at the Retina MacBook, I did wonder if it might have been designed with next year's CPU in mind. Haswell is reported to be targeted for lower power/heat and MacBooks already had a reputation for running hot in the larger unibody.

The Ivy Bridge it's got is already impressively efficient. I'm sure Haswell will do better, of course, but I think what they've got is what they were expecting.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 01:43:47 »

The Ivy Bridge it's got is already impressively efficient. I'm sure Haswell will do better, of course, but I think what they've got is what they were expecting.

I don't.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/19/intel-lowering-power-consumption-of-future-notebook-processors/

We'll see. If the Retina MacBook produces a spate of stories about excessive heat (I think it will) we can assume it was designed for a cooler CPU.

Offline hq1ify

• daddy cool
    • mtod.org
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 02:17:39 »
After 6 years I'm done with macs, they're getting worse with every release. Next: assemble PC for half of what macs cost
HHKB Pro 2 / Poker Brown

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 19:46:31 »
Why do you want to purchase a new computer from Crapple? They're just selling the same old Chinese garbage Acer does, in a case made out of the same stuff as tinfoil, for a ridiculous price. Modern "macs" are nothing but glorified PC's. Same Intel processors and Foxconn motherboards as those Dells and HP's all the Mac folks like to hate.

And what's so great about Mac OS X either? It's so locked down you can't even change the frickin' window color. I don't want to pay a premium price just to have some retards in Cupertino to pick everything out for me and lock out all the things they don't think I should like. I'd rather customize my computer myself!

And if you don't care for Windows, there's always Linux out there. You can set up Linux to do almost anything you want on any hardware you want. That includes homebuilt PC's. And Macs too. Even REAL Macs, back when they actually used a different processor architecture!

Oh, and then there's Apple's lame-ass excuse for support. You pay them all this extra money for a generic PC made in a Chinese sweatshop, and then they don't provide any halfway decent warranty or support. At work, we get three-year full coverage warranties from Hewlett Packard where they'll send in a serviceman and repair just about anything that goes wrong on their PC's and laptops, while with Apple, we're just about alone when it comes to replacing bad/faulty hardware. They'll give us a year of very limited coverage, but after that there's absolutely nothing.

And want to upgrade your overpriced PC in a few years? Oh, well that's too bad! Apple will switch to something different and they won't bother to make software upgrades for your model after a few years. Then you'll just have to buy a new one!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 20:51:57 »
Why do you want to purchase a new computer from Crapple? They're just selling the same old Chinese garbage Acer does, in a case made out of the same stuff as tinfoil, for a ridiculous price. Modern "macs" are nothing but glorified PC's. Same Intel processors and Foxconn motherboards as those Dells and HP's all the Mac folks like to hate.

And what's so great about Mac OS X either? It's so locked down you can't even change the frickin' window color. I don't want to pay a premium price just to have some retards in Cupertino to pick everything out for me and lock out all the things they don't think I should like. I'd rather customize my computer myself!

And if you don't care for Windows, there's always Linux out there. You can set up Linux to do almost anything you want on any hardware you want. That includes homebuilt PC's. And Macs too. Even REAL Macs, back when they actually used a different processor architecture!

Oh, and then there's Apple's lame-ass excuse for support. You pay them all this extra money for a generic PC made in a Chinese sweatshop, and then they don't provide any halfway decent warranty or support. At work, we get three-year full coverage warranties from Hewlett Packard where they'll send in a serviceman and repair just about anything that goes wrong on their PC's and laptops, while with Apple, we're just about alone when it comes to replacing bad/faulty hardware. They'll give us a year of very limited coverage, but after that there's absolutely nothing.

And want to upgrade your overpriced PC in a few years? Oh, well that's too bad! Apple will switch to something different and they won't bother to make software upgrades for your model after a few years. Then you'll just have to buy a new one!
Good to see you again man, how's your TCP/IP stack
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 22:01:25 »
I actually bought the base Mac Pro on July 4, 2012 as an impulse buy not knowing the actual specs on the desktop.  When I got it home, I had plans to add SSD's and when I found out the MPro only had SATA2, I was a bit shocked.  I then looked up the rest of the specs and noticed it didn't have USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, or an upgraded Video Card from previous models. I returned it and picked up the base MacBook Pro Retina on July 9. Once I got it home, it seemed like a laggy experience. Most programs weren't optimized to work with the retina display yet and it just frustrated me. (Though Mountain Lion was supposed to help this, I was too impatient to wait) So, I returned it the next day and ended up building a PC and now waiting for, hopefully a new refreshed 2013 Mac Pro.

Net, I'd say go with a non retina MacBook Pro for now and wait for the 2013 Mac Pro.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2012, 22:04:19 by mistakemistake »

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 04:13:41 »
I'd buy a sata 3 SSD.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others