Author Topic: What's The Geekiest Thing You Own?  (Read 38903 times)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
What's The Geekiest Thing You Own?
« on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:26:09 »
After a recent post, I starting thinking about what other things some of us might collect that could raise a few eyebrows. Granted it all depends on the person judging your "collectables". But what items do you personally own that even cause you raise a brow from time to time?

For me the geekiest thing I can think of is my 5 1/4 red floppy disk signed by Steve Woz.

I think most people agree Woz is pretty cool, but I find it odd sometimes that I'm holding onto a floppy disk he personally signed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:28:19 by RiffRaff »

Offline Trent

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 02:51:08 »
The geekiest thing I owned for a long period of time was an old 1993 HP 9000 mainframe.  Weighed ~400lbs, about 6ft tall, metal wheels, made lots of noise, no clue how to get it working.  I could turn it on and listen to the awful grinding noise the core unit made.  I wanted an IBM mainframe but was unable to find one for the price I wanted (still looking).  Sadly I had to make room, so I took it apart and kept the PCBs in the core unit for decoration.  I'd post images, but my camera isn't working.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 03:39:37 »
I've got an akai GX635 Tapedeck. It was my grandfather's and is not completely working. But it just looks too cool. Even though it is a 20Kg behemoth.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53147[/ATTACH]
Not really a collection though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2012, 03:46:13 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 07:31:45 »
Does it have to be computer geek?
On my wall is a calendar of women in costumes (sci/fi, fantasy, comic book characters), from a forum. Actual board members = real geek girls. That is the geekiest thing that I have that I can think of at a moment's notice.

BTW, I would love to have anything that was signed by Woz.
🍉

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 08:32:52 »
Nope doesn't have to be computer related, that's pretty cool that some of the forum members decided to make a calendar though.

Edit: Unless you made the calendar yourself ;)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 08:51:40 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;615983
For me the geekiest thing I can think of is my 5 1/4 red floppy disk signed by Steve Woz.

That's a cool thing! Can you post a picture of it?

I think the geekiest thing I have is a replica of the Jason hockey mask.... but also got a lot of other strange things. I think a lot of them are not recognized by me as geeky.... only by others.... lol

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 00:02:16 »
Here are a few Picts

Apple package where I store it

Vintage mouse pad

And finally, here it is!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 00:09:30 »
Nice! Wish I still had my Apple mousepad... it wasn't exactly in collector condition though.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 00:16:39 »
My stereo equipment resides in the carcass of an IBM 3174-1L terminal controller.

I have a model representing a hypothetical locomotive (an Electro-motive SD90 built with the standard cab)

I went out of the way to buy specific Korean comics, despite only being able to read about three words of the language.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 05:27:55 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:21:32 by davkol »

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:52:11 »
Either my HypnoCube or my Parallax Basic Stamp stuff, although they are not really collectibles they are probably the geekiest things I own other than my keyboards!

« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 18:05:31 by WRXChris »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:20:23 »
Ok +1 for that HypnoCube. That thing is pretty awesome.

Offline mars-bar-man

Re: What's The Geekiest Thing You Own?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 07:37:41 »
My collection of Nerf guns,

Or the huge amount of Star Wars action figures (original trilogy with a few from Episode I thrown in).. actually, I need to find them, I had the Millennium Falcon as well.
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline poetik

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 20:43:14 »
I own 2 pairs of custom in ear monitors.  The Unique Melody Merlins and Miracle.  A lot of people ask me why I would spend close to $1000 on a pair of iem's but it's the same reason why someone would spend close to $300 on a keyboard  :)

Offline Appeac

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 22:53:43 »
Not the rarest, but definitely the most looked down upon by peers thing I own is a 1952 Gillette Superspeed that I use for shaving.

FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 23:52:34 »
I'm going to go with the (I believe) 1960's LFE traffic light I have standing in the corner of the living room. It's automated by a custom Arduino setup.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline IllegalAlien

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 18:24:43 »
Electric Envelope Opener.

Offline ajdane

• I'm new here!!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 13:06:29 »
My 5 servers, several Cisco switches, quite a bit of fiber optic cabling..... yeah its bad.

Oh yeah my workstation with 5 monitors... My sister always slams me for that one when she comes over.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 13:08:48 »
Not the rarest, but definitely the most looked down upon by peers thing I own is a 1952 Gillette Superspeed that I use for shaving.

Show Image

DE razors FTW !!

But I'm not as hardcore as you, I use a merkur I bought new.

Offline kgleeson

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 18:02:09 »
I own a TDS Meter for testing my water before making brewed coffee.

Offline mvh11

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 15:11:02 »
Geekiest thing I own? Well, there's a lot of stuff that I would consider geeky, but the one I think that would the geekiest is the arcade stick I use to practice at home(simply because I don't want to carry it around and possibly damage it).

Here is my Hori Real Arcade Pro 2: Special Addition:

Either that, or it would be my Super Famicom Wii Classic Controller from Club Nintendo Japan:

Does this qualify me as a geek? Now I just need to order a keyboard and I think I will fit in just fine.

Offline kgleeson

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 16:43:50 »
Yes it does!

I should probably include my stick as well then

I had Voltech on shoryuken.com build the frame and do the wood for me.
Its got a Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu PS14KN buttons with LEDs controlled by a SparkyPWM.
Weights in at a nice 4.7kg :D

Offline 486

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 04:35:04 »
Geekiest? Hmm. My vintage computer equipment!
Two XT's. One from 1987 and the other from 1989.  With working RLL/MFM hard drives FTW. I use them to test XT keyboards and to fiddle with DOS. And I own 6 5.25 floppy drives. 3 360k and 3 1.2Mb drives.
My custom built 486 and my Macintosh SEFDHD.
Most people think, what's the purpose of having these machines, to which I respond "I view them as  historical pieces, a reminder of how we have advanced".
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 July 2012, 04:38:54 by 486 »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:11:50 »
Show Image
Show Image

Now those are some pretty sweet input devices!

I never got around to making a sweet controller for my Mame Cabinet, but I did mod a Sega Genesis to use the controllers for playing Mame.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:22:36 »
Two XT's. One from 1987 and the other from 1989.  With working RLL/MFM hard drives FTW. I use them to test XT keyboards and to fiddle with DOS. And I own 6 5.25 floppy drives. 3 360k and 3 1.2Mb drives.
Most people think, what's the purpose of having these machines, to which I respond "I view them as  historical pieces, a reminder of how we have advanced".

I read a good article recently where a younger IT analyst asks the question "what's DOS?" -->Here

Computers have progressed quite a bit, but it's good sometimes to take a step back and remember how far we've come.

Offline telepete

• Jedi Knight and friend of Captain Solo.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:53:51 »
I think its my life sized poster of Lt. Worf. My friends would say its my hoodie that looks like Boba Fett armor.
Don't you wish Carnifex was at your side?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 22:26:57 »
I think the geekiest things I own are:
-Gundam models -- built then put back into their boxes. Not trying to show off my toys... I just like putting them together!
-MT XINU BSD poster (mine is in better condition than this example):

-of course, my collection of keyboards
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Joe221

• I'm new here!! Have pity.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 23:10:24 »
I have lots of geeky stuff, don't we all. The oldest is my, in my Home Theatre setup and working, Technics SL-6 turntable. The collectibles are all the vinyl LPs it can play.
Joe in Los Angeles

Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL

Offline 486

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 01:50:43 »

I read a good article recently where a younger IT analyst asks the question "what's DOS?" -->Here

Computers have progressed quite a bit, but it's good sometimes to take a step back and remember how far we've come.

Just read the article. LOL. How can you not know DOS? Just the other day I went to my local computer shop and talked to a guy about if they still use DOS  for certain applications. And they still do. Apparently they use DOS to overclock many of their prebuilt computers. I also went there to use their MX keyboards for free. mmm. Steelseries 7G :D

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 12:29:36 »
I have a small collection of Rubik's cubes. I have a 2x2x2, a 3x3x3, a 4x4x4, a 3x3x3 mirror cube, and a Pyramid cube. I can solve all but the 4x4x4 (I'm too lazy to memorize how to solve it). I also have my server, which I use as a web server, a mail server, an FTP server, and as a host for my RuneScape Private server. So overall, I would consider myself to be moderately geeky.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:23:11 »

This is hanging in my living room.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:29:06 »
I'm kind of jealous of that gameboy collection, it's nerdy, but it also looks kind of artsy, and is that yellow one missing the grey screen cover??
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 10:40:56 »
I'm kind of jealous of that gameboy collection, it's nerdy, but it also looks kind of artsy, and is that yellow one missing the grey screen cover??

That's why I collect Gameboy systems. I find them very aesthetically pleasing.
I have a replacement screen cover on the way for the yellow system.

Offline NSMarkop

• Cuber.US
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 17:57:03 »
I have a small collection of Rubik's cubes. I have a 2x2x2, a 3x3x3, a 4x4x4, a 3x3x3 mirror cube, and a Pyramid cube. I can solve all but the 4x4x4 (I'm too lazy to memorize how to solve it). I also have my server, which I use as a web server, a mail server, an FTP server, and as a host for my RuneScape Private server. So overall, I would consider myself to be moderately geeky.

Hello, fellow cuber. I keep my competition cubes in a briefcase with a foam mold I made myself, so that's probably the geekiest thing I own. A geeky result of this would be this trophy I got last year for multi-BLD:

Here's my WCA page for my official results: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2010MARK03

I also own an arcade stick (not as awesome as your guys', though) and 3 unicycles (20" Koxx-One, 24" Torker, 29" Nimbus). That's most of my geeky stuff, I suppose; nothing as killer as that Gameboy collection - that's awesome, sealcouch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 18:17:40 by NSMarkop »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 10:15:25 »
Hello, fellow cuber. I keep my competition cubes in a briefcase with a foam mold I made myself, so that's probably the geekiest thing I own. A geeky result of this would be this trophy I got last year for multi-BLD:

Show Image

Here's my WCA page for my official results: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2010MARK03

I also own an arcade stick (not as awesome as your guys', though) and 3 unicycles (20" Koxx-One, 24" Torker, 29" Nimbus). That's most of my geeky stuff, I suppose; nothing as killer as that Gameboy collection - that's awesome, sealcouch.
Nice trophy! I was never much of a speed-solver myself, I just enjoyed the puzzle aspect of solving cubes. Rubik's cubes became quite the fad at my highschool last year. A friend of mine had quite the large collection; he had everything from a 2x2x2 up to an 11x11x11, and he could solve every single one of them.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 21:00:35 »
Geekiest thing I own is probably a custom Gameboy pocket that I had a $100+ paint job put onto.
I have no pictures of it, and it's in storage so all I can show you are these two videos.

list=UUUinFUgCfBJTfun3pz9uf_A&index=7&feature=plcp
list=UUUinFUgCfBJTfun3pz9uf_A&index=4&feature=plcp

and sealcouch, that is awesome! very inspiring!

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 21:15:34 »
Here's something else, although I think this might fall under the "nerdy" category, rather than geeky

My collection of K-On petit nendoroids. and not trying to sound like a hipster or anything, but I bought these before I knew how popular K-On actually was. xD

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 14:05:29 »
Geekiest thing I own is probably a custom Gameboy pocket that I had a $100+ paint job put onto.
I have no pictures of it, and it's in storage so all I can show you are these two videos.

list=UUUinFUgCfBJTfun3pz9uf_A&index=7&feature=plcp
list=UUUinFUgCfBJTfun3pz9uf_A&index=4&feature=plc

and sealcouch, that is awesome! very inspiring!

Interesting color choice!
 I also have a pretty large Gameboy Pocket collection. I'll try to get a picture up later.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 18:42:38 »
The color wasn't my choice really. I told the guy he could go nuts! I like it though. It's blue to purple chameleon  flakes on a black base.
It's hard to tell, but in the second video, I keep turning back and forth to show it changing from purple to blue. It's pretty awesome! :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2012, 18:44:35 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline 486

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 04:08:38 »
Show Image

Man, I used to have two of those . Both a clear and the off-white one. Nice job getting the blue one. THey are very hard to find apparently.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 11:35:09 »
Show Image

Man, I used to have two of those . Both a clear and the off-white one. Nice job getting the blue one. THey are very hard to find apparently.

The blue one was the second hardest to find next to the Manchester United system. I paid waaaay to much for that one.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 19:27:28 »
I think the geekiest thing I own is about 15 computers.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 09:24:05 »
Anime figures, wall scrolls, and over $1k worth of yoyos.

Offline aeta

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 09:26:33 »
Do the gameboys still work? And how much was the Man U one?
Keycool 84, IBM Model M SSK, Noppoo Choc Pro
http://imgur.com/a/z2x2p#0

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 09:56:09 »
I forgot one small thing:

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 12:39:11 »
The geekiest thing I've pwned is ripster.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 13:11:45 »
I forgot one small thing:

Psht, we all know that 10-panel is the real way to play. ;D That reminds me, I need to get my IIDX controller out of its box and play Troopers again.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 17:17:25 »
Is that what people call doubles in Pump It Up? I have only ever played DDR machines as that is what was around when I used to go to arcades. I can play doubles on heavy in DDR but I usually stay away from ITG charts with difficulties over 10-12 even on one pad. DDR made me weak haha.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 17:18:56 by Excaliborg »

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 20:52:43 »
Nah, I guess it's just called Doubles in PIU now. There used to be Freestyle and Nightmare, now it's just Double Performance and Double.

Too bad there are NO good machines around the Denver area. I miss the Fiesta I was playing on before. :( I guess a place nearby did just get an ITG2 dedicab in, though. Cheap play on Fridays, too, so I may have to go play tomorrow.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline el2k

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 11:35:09 »
Mmm, my PC is watercooled.. guess that in itself is quite geeky?
sc00pz for life