Author Topic: Sold - Comptek2wk IBM Mini for $206  (Read 2136 times)

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Sold - Comptek2wk IBM Mini for $206
« on: Sun, 06 June 2010, 23:11:57 »
A slow week on Ebay I guess. Sunday night is usually the best time to end an auction though.

It looks like used minis are still doing well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280515519341 There doesn't seem to be a lot of competition however.

Just bid what you're willing to pay.
Sniping is the only way that anyone should place their bid. Bidding at any time prior to the last 30 seconds is totally illogical to me.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 June 2010, 23:18:55 »
Bidding what you're willing to pay is ridiculous...the idea of buying on eBay is that you're trying to pay less than you would be willing to pay.

Thus, the common goal to ALL bidders should be the lowest possible price at the listing end...not just "cheaper than elsewhere", but "the cheapest", no exceptions. The only way to pull that off is sniping.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 June 2010, 23:41:16 »
True, but remember the winner always pays less than they're willing to pay - they pay what the second highest bidder was willing to pay. :)
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:02:49 »
There are occasions of sniper bidding wars though. while I do snipe I decide how much I am willing to pay before placing a bid. if the price rises above what I originally planned to pay I stop myself from bidding more. I think it's pretty common to have the desire to win, while loosing site of the original goal. that goal is materialism, none the less it's very easy to get sidetracked.

Offline Laggy-gaga

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:30:46 »
I lost items for 1 $ in the whole past month
Working: Ducky Dragon Blue
Looking for: 356L
For sale:Benchmark DAC1+Stello U3+Amber,RS1i,GS1000i,HE400,HD650,w4r,se535LE
AU only

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 00:51:27 »
Quote from: nowsharing;190414
A slow week on Ebay I guess. Sunday night is usually the best time to end an auction though.

It looks like used minis are still doing well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280515519341 There doesn't seem to be a lot of competition however.

Shhhhh! I'm still bidding on that one :-)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 01:15:26 »
There are occasions of sniper bidding wars though
I'm not sure how that could happen. The sniper makes one carefully considered shot, and never passes their spending threshold. They can also call things off, and walk away while the early bidders assure each others' mutual destruction.

Early bidders recently pushed a standard NIB M to $385. I need to hang a print of the finished auction page an inspirational poster.

Shhhhh! I'm still bidding on that one :-)
I guess we'll never convert you. I hope the international shipping is decent, because your bidding is already pretty bold.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2010, 01:18:05 by nowsharing »

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 01:29:04 »
Quote from: nowsharing;190468
I guess we'll never convert you. I hope the international shipping is decent, because your bidding is already pretty bold.

Convert me to a sniper? I usually snipe what I can, maybe I got a bit irrational in this case :D Intl. shipping is quoted at $32...
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 01:37:25 »
Quote from: nowsharing;190468
I'm not sure how that could happen. The sniper makes one carefully considered shot, and never passes their spending threshold. They can also call things off, and walk away while the early bidders assure each others' mutual destruction.

Early bidders recently pushed a standard NIB M to $385. I need to hang a print of the finished auction page an inspirational poster.

This was your M5-2 listing before I placed my bid. Notice your 1390120 is in the other tab...I was checking back and forth to see which one I should go for. I did in fact place a bid on the -0120 and probably got you a larger amount of money by doing that, but the previous person's max was higher than mine so I abandoned it and focused on the M5-2.

Imagine how less happy you'd have been if it ended at 16 cents?

The bidder before me had their max bid at around 21 and IIRC I placed my bid at 25...and won it around 22. I placed that bid in the final seconds of the auction, probably clicked the link around 15s left.

Bid history did not reflect any other snipers on that one so I guess I got lucky.

^ sniping experiences revealed to the world...
kishy.ca

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 07:40:12 »
Quote from: ripster;190399
More for the historical record than anything else.

But if you look at the bid history you'll see why snipers don't always win. Just SNIPE bid what you're willing to pay.

Ok....fixed.   It's the only way to roll on hotly contested items on ebay.   Bidding early simply raises the price on ebay items.  

Of course I'm assuming the item is listed with a low starting bid and no reserve.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 15:03:33 »
This was your M5-2 listing before I placed my bid.
I think you won that one because I titled the auction poorly. That's how I win most boards, so I guess it was reverse-time karma.

I lose most auctions because my snipe are really low, but when I win something via sniping I have a little party for myself.

It gives me an excuse to keep an eye on the fleabay--a form of entertainment and masochistic torture :pop2:

Offline J888www

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 15:21:56 »
On many occasions, I have strange feelings that the prices are deliberately inflated by sellers/sellers acquaintances (less than 5 feedbacks). So now I only make my bid at the last 5 seconds with a relatively high max bid.

Can sellers see the bidders max bids ?
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 15:27:23 »
You just gave us all another reason to snipe. If there were a shill bidder, their damage could be minimized, although not eliminated.

Seller can't see the maximum bid prices AFAIK.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 15:46:18 »
Quote from: ripster;190617
Ebay sellers can't see your maximum bid.

You CAN however annoy them by sending an email saying, "WOW - I sure got THAT cheap."

As I recall, I was congratulated for that particular win.
kishy.ca

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 16:50:03 »
As I recall, I was congratulated for that particular win.
A great snipe like that is a thing of beauty. I was impressed, and quite pleased to have it going to a geekhacker.

Offline J888www

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 17:16:26 »
Maybe my feelings in regard to sellers pumping up the price is unfounded. Maybe it's ebay who's actually pumping up the price? Maybe I'm a hypochondriac.

Offline JBert

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 17:21:12 »
Of course they do, they always raise the price up until the second highest bid is surpassed by $.50 or a couple of dollars. The one who entered the highest bid remains ahead until the raised price makes the second bidder crazy enough to go for a serious price increase.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 17:36:40 »
I haven't experience that. On [strike]many[/strike] occasion I've put $100+ bids in on things that ended up going for pennies.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2010, 17:41:56 by nowsharing »

Offline J888www

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 18:16:41 »
I don't think it's possibly for them to account for all listings, probably at random, but sometimes the bidding seems very suspicious.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 June 2010, 18:53:14 »
No one expects curious cousin George, the shill bidder monkey.