Author Topic: Fix for non-clicking Cherry MX Blue?  (Read 6216 times)

Offline gbohn

Fix for non-clicking Cherry MX Blue?
« on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 20:23:17 »
Hi;

I just got a Leopold FC500 keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches. The problem is that some of the keys don't click reliably.

They 'work' (they send a key operation to the computer), but they don't reliably 'click'.

I have at least 3 keys that only intermittently 'click'. They have clicked sometimes (depending on the mood and angle they are pressed). But seem to be getting progressively less clicky as I use them.

I'm guessing there's nothing to do but exchange the keyboard.  (I think this is a 'plate mounted' switch, so I suspect I'm doomed...)  :(

But, hope against hope, is this type of issue possibly fixable without too serious of an operation?

Thanks;

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Fix for non-clicking Cherry MX Blue?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 00:51:38 »
I had (have) a similar problem.

General consensus seems to be, if there is no physical damage to the keyboard and nothing sticky spilled onto it, then it is probably just a slight variation in the manufacture of the switch, or a very tiny dirt inside the switch which should disappear over time.

The keys on mine (the up arrow key in particular) do seem to click more now, although sometimes the up arrow key still does not click at all.  With a bit of experimentation if I press the top right corner of the key cap it will tend to click more than if I press the key straight down or tap the bottom of the key cap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gbohn

Re: Fix for non-clicking Cherry MX Blue?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 18:35:23 »
> or a very tiny dirt inside the switch which should disappear over time.

Unfortunately, I've been using mine and so far it seems to be getting worse with more use rather than better.

I'll try a few more days, but so far things aren't looking promising.

> if I press the top right corner of the key cap it will tend to click more ...

I noticed something similar. It does seem to work sometimes if I press the keys from an odd angle, but I obviously need this to work in normal typing (at least eventually...).

Fortunately, most of the keys click. But, being brand new I expect all of them to work.

I have one other MX Blue keyboard (a DasKeyboard Professional "s") and all the keys seem to click uniformly on that one.

Thanks;