Author Topic: KBC Poker X 40%  (Read 10829 times)

Offline nvus

KBC Poker X 40%
« on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:39:01 »
I tried googling this to find vendors and nothing came up.  Anyone know where I can get one of these?  And does it have NKRO?  I'm looking for red or black switches (anyone know which is preferred for gaming?) I'm currently using a filco tenkeyless with brown switches and they are honestly too light for gaming;  I'm always accidentally pressing keys.

This is honestly the perfect keyboard for me at the moment.  I would really appreciate it if someone could direct me where to purchase one. 

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: KBC Poker X 40%
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:49:21 »
Patrick in the vendor forum has one, I think.  (here)

Several other vendors in the vendor forum have stocked them, but I'm not sure if they still are in stock.  Apparently they are going out of production.  If you haven't already, you should compare it to the KBT Pure.  It is very similar but also a bit newer.  For now, it seems the Poker has a bit more options for customization but I assume that effort will migrate to the Pure/Race in the future.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:50:24 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=ALL&size=ALL&keyword=poker

Black ones in stock. And I prefer black over red for gaming due to them being heavier.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:52:56 »
I got one from Patrick the other day and I love it. The ones Patrick are selling come with brown switches though. You could always try and get a Pure they are almost identical.

edit: Or you could get one with blacks and mod it reds.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 21:55:10 »
Except the Pure 2nd layer is even worse! Get Poker from mechkeyboards if you want blacks. It's a fine choice. If you find it to be too heavy sure you can find some lighter springs from someone on here later. It's easy to mod it.
Also keep your eye out for our custom 60% here on GH. Though it will be awhile before it is ready, it will be better than anything else.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:00:30 »
Also keep your eye out for our custom 60% here on GH. Though it will be awhile before it is ready, it will be better than anything else.

I thought it was a custom 75% a la race/noppoo?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:02:47 »
Different board projects. I am talking about this one.

Offline nvus

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:08:31 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=ALL&size=ALL&keyword=poker

Black ones in stock. And I prefer black over red for gaming due to them being heavier.
1. Does this have NKRO? 
2. What's the difference between ABS and PBT; is it worth shelling out the extra 20$ for PBT keycaps?
3. What's the advantage of the poker over the kbt pure?  I noticed the kbt pure has the option of LED.

I believe my filco is ABS and the letters are coming ff my WASD (d and s are completely gone) o and the texture is also noticeably fading.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:18:49 by nvus »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:16:52 »

1. Does this have NKRO? 
2. What's the difference between ABS and PBT; is it worth shelling out the extra 20$ for PBT keycaps?

I honestly don't know why anyone cares about NKRO.  Who presses more than 6 keys at a time?  I played quake 3 for years on a regular old Dell USB and I never had a problem.

PBT is considered to be a better material than ABS because it a bit more sturdy and (apparently) has a better, weightier feel.  It probably is worth the extra money because it will raise the resale value of the board.  I probably wouldn't get it though, because I'd immediately replace the keys with something else.

Offline nvus

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:27:58 »

1. Does this have NKRO? 

I honestly don't know why anyone cares about NKRO.  Who presses more than 6 keys at a time?  I played quake 3 for years on a regular old Dell USB and I never had a problem.

PBT is considered to be a better material than ABS because it a bit more sturdy and (apparently) has a better, weightier feel.  It probably is worth the extra money because it will raise the resale value of the board.  I probably wouldn't get it though, because I'd immediately replace the keys with something else.
Well I like that the stock keycaps have the FN ninja'd on them.  Unless the learning curve for that is very minimal.  Keycaps seem to be around 50$;  I wouldn't be prone to upgrading them until my keys fade.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:36:06 by nvus »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:52:02 »
I'd upgrade to PBT if only to resell the PBTs at a better rate.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline nvus

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:58:09 »
I went with the poker pbt with black switches.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 23:13:55 »
I went with the poker pbt with black switches.

Good show.  Its the first of many, I'm sure  ;D

Offline vanic

• http://www.mbarrett.info
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 11:29:22 »
Does anyone know of hand where I could find KBC Poker X 40% with Cherry Brown Switches,  I am located in Canada.  I currently have a Leopold Tenkeyless in browns and am looking to minimize even further to take the board with my laptop. Can't seem to find them on Ebay any more.

Cheers.

Matt
Leopold Tenkeyless FC200RT/AB [cherry browns] | Fujitsu FKB4700 [peerless] [for sale/trade] | 95 IBM [Lexmark] Model M2.

Offline nvus

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:46:17 »
Good show.  Its the first of many, I'm sure  ;D
Oh hell no.  This is an expensive hobby!  My first is actually the tenkeyless filco (browns) I'm using at the moment.  Anyone have any idea how much I could get for it?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:50:35 »
Oh hell no.  This is an expensive hobby!  My first is actually the tenkeyless filco (browns) I'm using at the moment.  Anyone have any idea how much I could get for it?

If it's in good shape you can probably get something like $125 for it.

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:59:01 »
Does anyone know of hand where I could find KBC Poker X 40% with Cherry Brown Switches,  I am located in Canada.  I currently have a Leopold Tenkeyless in browns and am looking to minimize even further to take the board with my laptop. Can't seem to find them on Ebay any more.

Cheers.

Matt

you can get that from patrick in the vendor forums
he is also from canada so you can save on some shipping costs
just an fyi: carrying the poker around seems fun at first but after a while, i wish i would have just kept my laptop keyboard because i don't find that the typing experience is worth the extra space in my bag

Offline nvus

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:08:58 »
just an fyi: carrying the poker around seems fun at first but after a while, i wish i would have just kept my laptop keyboard because i don't find that the typing experience is worth the extra space in my bag
It was never my intention to carry it around with my laptop.  It's gonna be on my desk to save space and I'm all about minimal aesthetics. 

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:13:37 »
Looks like p.s. sold out of them!  Looks like we may be seeing the last of these on the open market.

Offline Keyboarder

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 00:27:28 »
what's the difference between a 40%, 60%, 75%, 80% board?

Offline hq1ify

• daddy cool
    • mtod.org
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 01:09:13 »
what's the difference between a 40%, 60%, 75%, 80% board?

Size (function key row, additional column for pgup/pgdown etc, cursor keys block).
Except 60% is an alias for 40% AFAIK.
HHKB Pro 2 / Poker Brown