Author Topic: Linear green alps vs. cherry mx red/black  (Read 6766 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Linear green alps vs. cherry mx red/black
« on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 11:11:44 »
Does anyone have experience with both linear green alps and cherry mx red or black switches? 

I just purchased an old Zenith ZKB-2 with linear green alps off ebay which won't be here for another week to week and a half.  I love cherry mx red so I figured I'd try some linear green alps.  How heavy are linear green alps compared to cherry reds or black?  What about the force required (re: green alps vs cherry red/blacks)?  Are the alps smoother, less smooth ,etc?  I'm just looking for some insight.  Thanks!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Linear green alps vs. cherry mx red/black
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 21:33:22 »
I would reccomend that you desolder the damned speaker that will be in that ZKB-2. I had one before I sacrificed it for the switches. I still have the plate, PCB and all the parts (minus the case). Nice part is that they come with some sweet DS's. I love the green ALT that I got off of my ZKB-2

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 21:37:41 »
I would reccomend that you desolder the damned speaker that will be in that ZKB-2. I had one before I sacrificed it for the switches. I still have the plate, PCB and all the parts (minus the case). Nice part is that they come with some sweet DS's. I love the green ALT that I got off of my ZKB-2
I thought you could turn off the speaker with alt + tilde....or alt + esc?  Am I wrong?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 06:30:06 »
I measured some of switches you referred a while back.
ALPS greens on 20yr old X68000 keyboard needs 50g(+/-3) weight to actuate while Cherry reds 41g(+/-1) on Poker and 38g(+/-1) on G80-3600.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27474.msg557204#msg557204

Poker reds has gritty feel while G80-3600 is very smooth, I can't say these two red is same switch.
I think ALPS green is smooth like G80-3600.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 09:08:57 »
modern green alps are tactile/clicky right? so is there a linear variant as well? ooh my...

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 10:38:34 »
modern green alps are tactile/clicky right? so is there a linear variant as well? ooh my...
The tactile clicky green alps are newer.  Green used to stand for linear in the alps world.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 12:59:27 »
So I got the keyboard today.  First impressions, I favor linear green alps over cherry reds for typing.  I have no idea for gaming.  The shorter throw of alps switches are definitely noticeable on the linear variants as opposed to tactile variants.  The space bar uses a heavier alps switch (it appears to be cream).  However, the heavier space bar switch is perfect, it's not overly heavy like an unmodded Model F space bar.  Oh yeah...the most important part....Alt+tilde does turn off the speaker in the Zenith.

| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:24:11 »
Interesting -- integrated LEDs. Not possible with tactile or clicky ALPS switches due to lack of space.

The new Matias Quiet Pro has integrated LEDs in a tactile switch, and the transparent switch shells suggest possibly the LED is below the switch instead of integrated – will have to see when someone does a proper review. I won't be getting mine until next year (ISO model).

The Tactile Pro 3 uses XM greens for the lock keys, with integrated LEDs, and I'm wondering now whether greens were always designed with LED integration in mind, rather than being something added by XM.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:25:37 »
We just need something modern to put them in!

That keyboard has the most ridiculous-looking bigass enter ever!
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 19:37:35 »

Yeah I know...but it's engineered very well.  On the Focus and Chicony I have, the bigass enter key uses one horizontal stabilizer bar and one vertical stabilizer bar.  It's a PITA to reinstall.  The Zenith uses one horizontal stabilizer bar and a plastic peg similar to how IBM stabilized the big ass enter key on the F AT.  It's definitely a simpler implementation than the Focus and Chicony. 

I didn't mention the sweet doubleshots that came with the Zenith.  Dark navy blue on cream...reminiscent of WYSE doubleshots.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 16:19:38 »
I ripped my ZKB-2 apart for those doubleshots. :)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
Re: Re: Linear green alps vs. cherry mx red/black
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 16:42:28 »
I ripped my ZKB-2 apart for those doubleshots. :)
Lol..the keys on mine are shiny as all hell. 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 17:49:36 »

Yeah I know...but it's engineered very well.  On the Focus and Chicony I have, the bigass enter key uses one horizontal stabilizer bar and one vertical stabilizer bar.  It's a PITA to reinstall.  The Zenith uses one horizontal stabilizer bar and a plastic peg similar to how IBM stabilized the big ass enter key on the F AT.  It's definitely a simpler implementation than the Focus and Chicony. 

I didn't mention the sweet doubleshots that came with the Zenith.  Dark navy blue on cream...reminiscent of WYSE doubleshots.
The plastic peg seems to be a common feature for ALPS keyboards. The NeXT keycap set I got came with one on the enter, and there's a hole for one on the SIIG minitouch (Though in typical ALPS fashion, it's too small).

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:32:57 »
^TWSS.
I need to get my hands on a NeXT board soon...