Author Topic: Among the sea of "hello!" posts...  (Read 2702 times)

Offline ontherx

Among the sea of "hello!" posts...
« on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 09:41:29 »
Ugh, don't mind me, just another new guy here.

Now, before you label me as a "which mechanical keyboard should I buy?" rookie, I've done my research and will continue to lurk on here, reddit, and OCN! I went with the CM Rapid (blues) and CM Pro (browns) early on to try out the switches, and having broken the seal...we'll see how long before my spending habits get out of hand...

A few questions, in working for the Government in the DC area, anyone here get strange looks bringing in their own keyboard? New job I'm switching to requires ID card insertion via $10 Dell keyboard...anyone deal with this while they get real typing done on their own board?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Among the sea of "hello!" posts...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 09:51:54 »

And I don't really care what other people think of me and my keyboards.  If you feel typing on a mechanical keyboard at work makes you even the slightest bit more productive, then by all means bring your keyboard to work.  That's what I do, and I have gotten use to the occasional comments...
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2012, 13:32:55 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 11:57:28 »
Well said.

Really the best way to learn about keyboards is to read up on the threads. Much better then a "what should I buy post" which has probably been said a million times before.

I use to get strange looks bringing in my board, so now I just stash a few here which I swap occasionally. I also leave my Realforce at work. It's much nicer to not have to haul boards around. Plus in the DC area I'm sure the added security makes the cost of a second board well worth it.

Regarding the CAC cards, they do sell single USB readers. So perhaps you can use of these and still use your keyboard?

Welcome to Geekhack

Offline ontherx

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 12:48:28 »
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the insight regarding CAC cards/bringing keyboard in to a Gov't setting. As it's still in the process of transitioning from the hypothetical to the actual, I wanted to confer with you experienced keyboard toters! I'll ask about the stand-alone readers, when the position (finally) transpires. Current job didn't have those as an option so I never bothered to ask.

And yes, I am quite confident bringing in my own typing apparatus will be conducive to productivity...not just with WPM/accuracy, but well-being and a general decrease hatred of work computers!  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:07:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A good start, buying two keyboards at once :)

So which do you prefer - blues or browns?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 00:46:39 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline ontherx

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 06:57:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A good start, buying two keyboards at once :)

So which do you prefer - blues or browns?

I'm going to be holding off on that decision until I bring one in to work, and then a full week of gaming (I play WoW, CS:GO, Bastion, other Steam games >.> )...So I'll get back to you! Is it bad that I've already got keycaps on their way? CM font is not appealing to me...I ordered the last leftover Retro TKL set+grey spacebar, then I have a few Portal Keys coming. Kind of the best game ever.

First time with all of this, so we'll see how it goes!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:06:14 »
I'm going to be holding off on that decision until I bring one in to work, and then a full week of gaming (I play WoW, CS:GO, Bastion, other Steam games >.> )...So I'll get back to you! Is it bad that I've already got keycaps on their way? CM font is not appealing to me...I ordered the last leftover Retro TKL set+grey spacebar, then I have a few Portal Keys coming. Kind of the best game ever.

First time with all of this, so we'll see how it goes!

Bad?  No - you will fit right in around here ;)

Portal key caps?  Have you seen these: http://www.keyboardstory.com/products/category/13-keycaps
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ontherx

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 20:57:38 »
Yes i did. I signed up for round 4 Retro TKL, and I have the Portal 2.0 keyset from ragnarok....those winkeys would be nice accent provided the black can mix with the dark grey enough?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 21:42:09 »
Yes i did. I signed up for round 4 Retro TKL, and I have the Portal 2.0 keyset from ragnarok....those winkeys would be nice accent provided the black can mix with the dark grey enough?

The purists would probably say not, I would reserve an opinion until I had seen the two together.