Author Topic: KBTalking Race milk(white) switches mini review  (Read 9597 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
KBTalking Race milk(white) switches mini review
« on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 15:05:09 »
Hey everyone,

Ordered one of these off Qtan last week, and it came in today. I apologize for the crappy phone photos.

The colour of the caps is a nice dark grey, actually really like it. Wish the case wasn't black so it matched. The one cap that looked odd is the '%' symbol on '5'. It is fully outlined, but only half filled. Wonder if it's a play on it being a percentage.

Picture of the switch itself, definitely white, not clear.

Comparing it to my LE Race, the only difference(other than the lack of LEDS) is the placement of the legends. The font is the same, but centered, not top right. And the enter/shift/enter have the writing on them instead of just the symbols.

So overall feeling, very light board, no flex in the case, don't notice pcb flex while typing.
The white switches are not at all how I thought they would be. Similar to greens, yet very different. They have about the same force, but the sound is very different. Greens have that typical blue click, while these have a very light sounding click. Bottoming out while typing almost covers up the click noise entirely. Would have to say, another difference is that they are less crisp, slightly mushy almost.

They feel great, and if you enjoy heavy switches such as I, but sometimes want the noise to be a little lower, without giving up your click, whites are where it's at.

Hope this little review helps some folks out.

Cheers,
Halverson

PS-Still trying to get use to this damned little right shift!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: KBTalking Race milk(white) switches mini review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:38:57 »
Hey everyone,

Hope this little review helps some folks out.

Cheers,
Halverson

Brilliant little review.  It's great that Whites/clears are still available.  This is my next Cherry Switch board, and I've got you to thank.  8)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:42:03 »
I just recorded a video, but can't find a simple way to post it since I do not use youtube....hmmm

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:07:03 »
Wow great keyboard, really like the look of those keycaps.  I wish I knew these were available I would have tried to have gotten one too.  I had to get my Race in MX Blue
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:25:06 »
Wow great keyboard, really like the look of those keycaps.  I wish I knew these were available I would have tried to have gotten one too.  I had to get my Race in MX Blue

Think they've only been in the store for just over a week. Got mine the day after he put them up.

Also, video here, hope it works. Going to take 30 minutes to convert.(I'll check in 30 minutes to see if it's working, if not I'll post again) Not a valid vimeo URLThe sound is fairly quiet from my phone, so the greens don't sound too much louder. But you can tell the difference in the clicking sound.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 03:49:25 »
Yes, whites are awesome:
http://i.imm.io/ELWE.jpeg

You describe the sound and feel quite well. I measured them against greens and they have pretty much the same force. Even the springs look the same. Yet they don't click as much. Greens are somewhat more deadened than blues (they are heavier, too, ofcourse.) and the whites have hardly any sound at all, but much tactility.

Looks like a great keyboard, I'm glad you enjoy it. Are the keycaps PBT?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 14:23:38 »

Looks like a great keyboard, I'm glad you enjoy it. Are the keycaps PBT?

Yup, nice dark grey PBT.

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 16:43:53 »
So are these milk switches the same as the MX Clears? And given the fact that this board hasnt LEDs it can be said that you can switch the switches without soldering?

Thanks for the infos!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:37:52 »
So are these milk switches the same as the MX Clears? And given the fact that this board hasnt LEDs it can be said that you can switch the switches without soldering?

Thanks for the infos!

No they are not clears, they are whites. But yes no leds, means modding is a lot easier. No soldering to change up springs and stems.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 02:41:45 »
And here I am, thinking I have tried all the cherry switches, and this came up.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 16:26:50 »
Halverson...

Nice review.  Just got mine today.  To me, the mushiness that you describe feels more like a springiness.  For me, the force is enough to feel like the key is pushing me up (springing me up) after activation.  Love it.

I also have a white LE.  Since I received it, a few of the LEDs have been slightly dimmer than the rest.  Have you had any faulting LEDs?

Have fun.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 16:50:30 »
I also have a white LE.  Since I received it, a few of the LEDs have been slightly dimmer than the rest.  Have you had any faulting LEDs?

All my LEDs are all still in fine condition. Although I may not use them nearly as much as other people. I usually keep them off, dunno why.

Does anyone know where to order these switches in the United States/Canada?  All the ones I can find are in Europe.

I think not long ago Demik did a small group buy for white switches. Maybe ask him.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 20:57:31 »

All my LEDs are all still in fine condition. Although I may not use them nearly as much as other people. I usually keep them off, dunno why.

Does anyone know where to order these switches in the United States/Canada?  All the ones I can find are in Europe.

I think not long ago Demik did a small group buy for white switches. Maybe ask him.
I thought Demik's GB was for clears? I got my whites from 7bit/phantom keyswitch GB

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:13:08 »
thank you for this review,

I just bought one of these,

The wait begins!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:24:35 »
Damn, I wish I had seen this before I bought my race with blues.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:04:45 »

Long overdue reply....he did run a clear switch group buy recently. But before that one, I'm 90% sure he did a mini one for white switches.

thank you for this review,

I just bought one of these,

The wait begins!

Woot!

Damn, I wish I had seen this before I bought my race with blues.

:(

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 20:27:21 »
Someone posted a sound comparison that includes the KBT Race w/milk switches on Youtube:

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 22:26:35 »
^ Awesome video...that's the way to compare switches (audibly that is).
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Re: KBTalking Race milk(white) switches mini review
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 07:42:25 »
The Milks sound awesome!
Someone needs to make an 87 key tkl board with mx milks dammit.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline ranviper

• Nerd.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 09:25:21 »
Good review, I was interested in whites. Perhaps might be my next boards switches.
EC66 | MIYA