Author Topic: Rubberish Pad Under PCB  (Read 2153 times)

Offline jcrouse

Rubberish Pad Under PCB
« on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:08:10 »
On the custom keyboards, does anyone know what the rubber, neoprene, something pad is that sits between the PCB and bottom plate and where to possible get some? I remember seeing a post somewhere about some material that was actually non-conductive but can't seem to find it.

Thank you,
John

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rubberish Pad Under PCB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 13:01:50 »
I've seen kitchen drawer/cabinet liner used, that's the perforated waffle pattern stuff.  Couple KMACs I have built have used thick silicone sheet which I've heard was a separate GB.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 13:09:52 »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was talking about the siliconish type stuff. Thanks, I'll start looking. Like I said, I had thought I read somewhere that is was some sort of non-conductive material.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 13:16:43 »
Considering the shocking level of static cling I experienced, um no.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:00:23 »
I'm sure that it can be found around at a local hardware store... Or I can ask my Dad what he was telling Ski at the meetup. I seem to recall something like that material.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:05:47 »
I'm sure that it can be found around at a local hardware store... Or I can ask my Dad what he was telling Ski at the meetup. I seem to recall something like that material.

Ya know, above I said in a post but it may have been the converstaion with you dad and ski. Sure, see what he says.

Thanks,

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:27:04 »
you could also look into neoprene. you can get sample sizes for pretty cheap on ebay. if you need more hit me up because i might want to buy a big sheet and custom cut it for keyboard trays anyway.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:31:34 »
you could also look into neoprene. you can get sample sizes for pretty cheap on ebay. if you need more hit me up because i might want to buy a big sheet and custom cut it for keyboard trays anyway.

IMO I would play it safe and get foam that does have anti-static/non-conductive properties
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:32:33 »
yeah of course, get bare neoprene without nylon backing, or tear the backing off.
neoprene by itself is just flippy flappy textured rubber sheeting.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 22:05:31 »
My Dad suggested Kapton. He's an electrical engineer so make of it what you will. He said you can get some off of McMaster.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:14:01 »
Ive used cabnet liner in a few mods but would like to know what the koreans used instead.

Anyone know if a layer of 2 of cabnet liner would fit in a filco tkl?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 08:45:48 »
My Dad suggested Kapton. He's an electrical engineer so make of it what you will. He said you can get some off of McMaster.
a EE suggesting kapton? I'm not surprised. It's immensely useful to the electronics industry as the general tape of choice, and flexible PCB material. Kapton is a pretty awesome polymer. It's also used to "protect" PCB's from grounding the wrong part, or shorting something and being destroyed.

One problem: It's super thin. It's also pretty slick. I'm sort-of wondering why it was suggested. I mean, a layer of kapton over something else is a good idea.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:55:59 »
Just picked up some new thinner denser stuff at target you need two layer but the holes between seem smaller.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:20:30 »
Prof be bumping some interesting threads I missed. what exactly is the purpose of this again?
I love Elzy

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:47:24 »
Well stops the pcb from touching the bottom of the case, fills up the case making it tighter with less give and since there isnt the extra room in the case ping and noice form the switches doensnt resonate so it quites it down.

O by the way im looking for the silicon mat for my kmac if anyone happens to have one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 08:51:03 »
If you are satisfied with low-tech, art supply stores also sell sheets of foam, a couple of dollars for a couple of square feet.

It is half the thickness of drawer liner and denser. Also comes in loads of bright colors.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 13:59:22 »
What i have is working great id only look to change it i could get a hold of one of those silicone pads