Author Topic: A specific keyboard..  (Read 2256 times)

Offline JeebuzCrist

A specific keyboard..
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 11:51:38 »
Hey guys, looking for something pretty specific, not sure if it even exists, I'll run through what I'm looking for, and give some extra detail, hopefully you may know of something that fits this criteria.

1. Keyboard size
So this is one, of two main issues, my entire life I've owned keyboards that are large, with thicker plastic above the keys, below, and on the sides. Example: http://www.everythingusb.com/images/list/logitech-illuminated-keyboard-full.jpg

And I really dislike the Filco, Daskeyboards, etc, look with the slim plastic regions above below and on the sides of the keys, it just doesn't look good to me.

So I'd love a mechanical keyboard similar to the first link.

2. Media keys/Fn keys
I hate media keys/Fn keys.

3. USB port
This is really high up on the list of wants, but not needs. It would make life easier if I had atleast 1 usb port coming out of the keyboard to plug a USB hub into.

4. Preferably brown key switches.

5. Needs a numberpad.

6. Must be the standard layout (long enter key long backspace key etc)

So far the closest I've come is the WASD V1 Custom Mechanical Keyboard (with the wrist rest), only problem is they don't have a USB port on it.

So is there anything similar to this that has a USB port?

Thanks for listening to me rant.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 11:56:40 by JeebuzCrist »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: A specific keyboard..
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:37:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Until I saw the MX brown requirement, I was thinking Unicomp buckling spring.

Good luck with your search.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:43:23 »
The WASD V1 is very similar to the TT meka G1.

The WASD (or mine at least) even has a PCB for the USB hub. You could populate it in theory.

The TT meka G1 has USB ports and an audio passthrough.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:04:53 »
This might be perfect.
Zibal Mionix  ;D

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:09:18 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:55:28 »
Do the fullsize realforce's have usb ports? That might be an option.

I don't know how they feel like, but I'm told people like them.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:32:20 »

Nope, no USB ports. Good keyboard though :)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 16:00:24 »
Definitely with you on preferring a keyboard with a larger, more solid frame than is currently popular. 'Tis part of why I got a Noppoo Tank:

Doesn't meet your other requirements-- no USB, no MX Brown, has Fn-- but wanted to let you know that you are not alone in preferring a properly built keyboard to the overly flexible, sharp-cornered things that are everywhere these days.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline JeebuzCrist

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 01:20:39 »
Hey guys, sorry I completely forgot about my thread.

The TT Meka G1 looks quite nice. Looks like it's a possibility. The idea of being able to populate the USB hub is very appealing. But there's the posibilty they may have changed their PCB, when did you buy your WASD V1 dorkvader?

Zibal Mionix looked great, dispite the fact I was going to replace the keycaps with an old set of white keycaps so I wouldn't get any use from the backlit  LED's, which I wouldn't mind, if I wasn't paying over $200 for a keyboard. It is still a very sexy and appealing keyboard though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 03:00:16 »
I got my WASD when they first came out, but they haven't changed the design (They are using a costar reference design) To populate the USB hub, you'd either need to run a separate cable, or put a hub in there internally and wire the jacks to it. The micro controller that runs the hub is not present on the WASD.

http://i.imm.io/G9f9.jpeg
I can also provide non-phone pictures if you want.

Offline MarkPharaoh

Re: Re: A specific keyboard..
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 03:13:50 »

USB ports? In a RF? They still use bloody dip switches, lol.
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 07:44:46 »
Hey guys, sorry I completely forgot about my thread.

Does the forum leave e-mail notification off by default for topics you created as well as topics you reply to?

There's nothing wrong with that in a larger board – it's a simple and reliable way to configure the keyboard. It's only boards like the HHKB, Pure, Poker etc where it becomes far more controversial how the remaining keys are mapped, and that's when it makes more sense to have flash-based firmware. The advantage of DIP switches though is that you don't need reconfiguration software that ends up only being released for specific operating systems (i.e. that only ends up being written for Windows), but this is where an open keyboard controller would come in handy. It's more likely that KBC, Vortex etc would be willing to use an open firmware implementation than PFU.

("blash"??)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 09:04:00 »
Notifications are defaulted to off, but of course it's easy to turn on, just hit notifications in the menu bar at the top.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 14:20:49 »

I'm not into topre as much, but I remember them from same pictures I saw. Here's the link:
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/4998145

I guess it's a custom USB hub or something.