Author Topic: Unicomp Keyboard Broken by Cow0rker...! :(  (Read 11957 times)

Offline m00nshake

Unicomp Keyboard Broken by Cow0rker...! :(
« on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 11:18:25 »
So I got the Wildcats Buckling Spring keyboard from Unicomp. I wanted this keyboard to stay at work so I wouldn't have to leave a $100+ keyboard at work overnight. I work at a call center and they have some new agents just out of training that haven't gotten permanent seats yet. One of these new agents sat my desk while I was off work. He apparently unplugged my keyboard to use a standard dome keyboard, probably was afraid he'd break/damage it. Well break it is exactly what he did. When I arrived to work this morning, some of my keys wouldn't work. I unplugged the PS2 and looked at it, some of the pins have been broken off. He might've tried to force the PS2 back in the connector.

So what can I do now...? Can I replace the cable or do I have to send it back to Unicomp?

This sucks. I really like this keyboard! :(
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline nullstring

Re: Unicomp Keyboard Broken by Cow0rker...! :(
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:22:27 »
Of course you can replace the cable. You just need a bit of soldering experience

You have three options
1. Source a diy-friendly PS/2 plug. (I've never seen one of these before, but others may have).
2. Source a PS/2 extension cable. Cut the bad connector off of the cable, and cut the PS/2 extension cable in two. Splice the cables and solder.
2. Source a PS/2 extension cable, disassemble the unicomp, splice the cable and replace it and it's connection to the PCB (or otherwise).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10204&cs_id=1020401&p_id=93&seq=1&format=2

Offline m00nshake

Re: Re: Unicomp Keyboard Broken by Cow0rker...! :(
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:12:17 »
Of course you can replace the cable. You just need a bit of soldering experience

You have three options
1. Source a diy-friendly PS/2 plug. (I've never seen one of these before, but others may have).
2. Source a PS/2 extension cable. Cut the bad connector off of the cable, and cut the PS/2 extension cable in two. Splice the cables and solder.
2. Source a PS/2 extension cable, disassemble the unicomp, splice the cable and replace it and it's connection to the PCB (or otherwise).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10204&cs_id=1020401&p_id=93&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I have no soldering experience whatsoever. Would the last option require soldering?
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:37:07 »
Twisting wires and taping is viable but soldering is better.

If you are doing that much, you should think about getting a PS2-to-USB adapter and mount it inside the case so that you have a straight USB cable outside.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:41:18 »
Twisting wires and taping is viable but soldering is better.

If you are doing that much, you should think about getting a PS2-to-USB adapter and mount it inside the case so that you have a straight USB cable outside.

Would these be like the ps2 to usb adapters that come with most cherry mx keyboards? If so I have an extra one. Can I connect that directly inside the case without soldering?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:51:26 »
No, you would need what is called "active adapter" or "converter", with electronics inside that converts between PS/2 and USB signalling.
The Cherry keyboards with a 'C' in the middle of the five-letter code in their article numbers support "combo" of USB and PS/2 in the same cable, and the adapter consists of just two connectors connected together.

Or.. you could add a PS/2 - connector to the keyboard case and use a PS/2 extension cable. But then you will still have the problem of using a fragile PS/2 connector. USB was built to be plugged and unplugged, you can do this while the computer is on (some motherboards break if you hotplug a PS/2 keyboard) and you are safe in case a computer you want to use the keyboard with does not have any PS/2 port (which is becoming more and more common).
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:56:44 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:03:47 »
Okay can anyone look at the ps2 connector on their Unicomp keyboard and tell me how many pins are on it. I looked at mine again with a flash light and it doesn't look like the missing pins were broken off. It's just too clean looking. There might be something else going on here. I'm going to post a picture momentarily...

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:05:44 »
Sorry this is as clear as I could get it...

Offline nullstring

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:11:18 »

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I have no soldering experience whatsoever. Would the last option require soldering?

Soldering isn't very difficult. I shouldn't've said soldering experience.. maybe just soldering ambition.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:33:10 »
I found the following pics on the Internet. Comparing the pics I took above with the pic I got from the Internet, it looks like it has the correct number of pins. So unless someone spilled liquid all over the keyboard, which I don't think so, this keyboard might just have another problem... Keys like ctrl alt del work but letter keys don't work.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/clicky/plugs1024.jpg
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:36:57 by m00nshake »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:41:42 »
I would find that co worker responsible and take appropriate action...

or well, you know just get them to pay for it.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:46:47 »
Great video, Lysol, bookmarked...! I think I may have jumped the gun about someone breaking the keyboard. I talked to the guy who sat at my desk and he described exactly the same problem I was having when I tried to login to the computer today. He said he didn't unplug anything. I think there's something else going on here. What happens I can press ctrl+alt+del to get to the login screen upon boot up, but then I can't type any letters or numbers into the login/pass fields, and pressing some odd key, let's say 'k', will bring up the windows shut down options window, etc. It's bizzarre. I don't know...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:51:25 »
EDIT: Try plugging into a different computer?
If that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure that Unicomp services their boards.  They will fix it up proper.  Nice board like that, you don't want to toss it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:02:59 by metalliqaz »

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:38:25 »
I'm confused. The photos of the PS/2 plug show two pins missing out of it. It's a symmetrical connector with six pins: the photos only show four in a lopsided arrangement, with a hole where one of the pins should be.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:44:29 »
I'm confused. The photos of the PS/2 plug show two pins missing out of it. It's a symmetrical connector with six pins: the photos only show four in a lopsided arrangement, with a hole where one of the pins should be.

Yes but compare the pics I posted to the link to the pics a couple of posts underneath. They're exactly the same, with the lopsided arrangement of three pins to the right of the little black piece and one pin to the left.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:50:38 »
Oh I missed that. Turns out those pins are unused, and while most keyboards and mice have the pins anyway, clearly some companies don't bother putting in useless pins. I've never seen one myself with the pins missing.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:58:12 »
Oh I missed that. Turns out those pins are unused, and while most keyboards and mice have the pins anyway, clearly some companies don't bother putting in useless pins. I've never seen one myself with the pins missing.

Interesting... thanks for the information. So now I've got to figure out why the keyboard all of a sudden went wonky and isn't registering some keys. I'm going to test it when I get to my computer at home after work.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 20:01:37 »
If all else fails, you could try contacting Unicomp about their repair service.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline poopmat

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 21:05:36 »
i spilled a coke into a unicomp and they were great about fixing it
cost bout 30$ if i remember correctly
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 21:12:46 »

I have to agree.  That A**hole will be back at your desk doing it again.  You need to hunt this creep down in the toilets with no camera's running and use your steel caps to kick some sense into him.

I did that twice when I was younger, and low and behold they get transferred away.  That is the ONLY way to mark your territory and make sure no one craps on your gear......... ever again.  Sorry but sometimes you need to behave like an animal to sort out the other animals.

Normally I'm quite placid....... until my gear gets raped......... then it gets serious.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 21:18:20 by Elrick »

Offline poopmat

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 21:34:55 »
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 21:48:33 »

I have to agree.  That A**hole will be back at your desk doing it again.  You need to hunt this creep down in the toilets with no camera's running and use your steel caps to kick some sense into him.

I did that twice when I was younger, and low and behold they get transferred away.  That is the ONLY way to mark your territory and make sure no one craps on your gear......... ever again.  Sorry but sometimes you need to behave like an animal to sort out the other animals.

Normally I'm quite placid....... until my gear gets raped......... then it gets serious.

That's how it is when you work at a low end job like I do. No one respects anyone else's stuff. The only reason I could afford the keyboard stuff I splurged on so far is that I'm obsessive compulsive about whatever I dig, and my wife makes more than I do. Really I had a nice mech keyboard at home but I type most on my keyboard at work, which is a cheap dome keyboard, so I tried to find a less expensive alternative to having a good keyboard at work so I didn't feel like I wish I were at home all the time. Now it's back to square one for the time being till I get this resolved.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 22:39:51 »

That's how it is when you work at a low end job like I do. No one respects anyone else's stuff. The only reason I could afford the keyboard stuff I splurged on so far is that I'm obsessive compulsive about whatever I dig, and my wife makes more than I do. Really I had a nice mech keyboard at home but I type most on my keyboard at work, which is a cheap dome keyboard, so I tried to find a less expensive alternative to having a good keyboard at work so I didn't feel like I wish I were at home all the time. Now it's back to square one for the time being till I get this resolved.

It's my upbringing.  I grew up in the most unsavory part of Perth southern suburbs.  In Kelmscott (aka Hell-hole) only people living here in Perth would know that area.  I had to grow up fast including how to defend myself.  Kelmscott High School had brought out that behaviour.  First day at school you get picked on by the bullies, you either let that happen or you stand up.  I chose to stand up, by using a pair of Steel-caps.  From that day onward (Year-8) I was left alone, no one ever spoke or harassed me because I was then crowned unofficially as the "school psycho".

In that period of my life there was no help from authorities other than to get caned by adults as you grow older.  My Dad once came to school and confronted the Principal about those canings but I never saw it.  Needless to say I got no more canings.  My Dad is about 6.5ft tall and he can be quite intimidating when he's angry, he already served in the armed forces and he knows how to handle himself in any given situation.

From that day forward, he told me I had to stand up for myself, because he won't be around forever.  I hate the bull-sh*t pushed by schools nowadays saying that only a refusal to fight will stop any Bully, .......it never works.

And in the workforce it's much the same, some a**hole thinks he has complete control over everyone else and starts applying his version of entertainment over the weaker colleagues.  That is when you need to set the ground rules to them.  Usually Bully's never are confronted because they are usually much larger, more powerful and having anyone resisting them only helps to insight further bad behaviour from that individual.

That is until you get them in a small space where no one can see or hear.  That is when you truly see the coward he is.  Once I saw him (it's always a Male) piss himself as I held his throat for a minute or two.  After that you never see him again.

The full enactment of that type of behaviour is the old fashion type, it's a pure fight for survival. What would you do if someone tries to kill you, you either let him or you resist.

Maybe because I am not that small in stature hence my size and weight usually forces a bully to go elsewhere, but you will get Moron's who think that they can try something.  That is when it needs to be settled, before it gets out of hand.

Like I said I always hate to be violent, but there is always a time when you need to be more vicious than your opponent, especially when it comes to outright survival.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 22:55:02 by Elrick »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 22:57:52 »
Unicomp could probably fix it for you i know the fixed a single switch for me when i somehow brome it changing keycaps

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 22:57:58 »
You grew up with violence so perhaps that is all you know.  This guys sounds more to me like incompetent, not a bully.

By the way, if I laid hands on ANYONE at work, bully or not, I would be fired so fast my 'puter wouldn't have time to go to screensaver.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 23:21:18 »
By the way, if I laid hands on ANYONE at work, bully or not, I would be fired so fast my 'puter wouldn't have time to go to screensaver.

It all depend where you work.  My place is out in the bush far away from any town/city (the money is that good).  Hence out here it's all about taking care of yourself.  You probably can't survive here, but I have been in places like this all my life hence I do what comes natural when I'm threatened by anyone large/big.

Relying on others to defend you, is a bad way of living, .........especially when they are not around to help you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 23:24:40 by Elrick »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 02:56:40 »
My modern unicomp (The wildcat ones are, I believe, older) (modern as in 4 nov 2010) has a full compliment of pins on it's PS2 connector. This might be because it's their "spacesaver" one, instead of the more IBM-esque wildcat.

If you think the cable is damaged, look into getting a replacement. On mine at least, the cable is connected to the controller with an internal connector.

Offline wcass

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 20:22:57 »
i don't think that this could be a bent pin issue because ... PS2 has 4 "live" pins; vcc, ground, clock, data. if any one of these was broke then ALL keys would not work. so if some keys work and others don't the problem has to be somewhere else.

check the keyboard on another computer and if it still does not work, i would consider sending it to Unicomp for diagnostics and repair.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 20:44:11 »
My Unicomp 6 pins - Not very clear but I painted red dots on each pins
5227-0

Seams to match typical PS2 pinout

I'm no PS2 expert... NC = Not Connected?
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2012, 20:52:06 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:21:30 »
Ok everyone I thank you for all of the feedback but it has been confirmed that this keyboard does only have the four active pins. So there is something else wrong with this keyboard. Quite a coincidence that it was working perfectly when I left work and not when I returned after a  co worker sat at my desk? Only Unicomp will be able to provide me with the answer. I will work with them on the solution. I thank everyone for their feedback and suggestions. Only time will tell on the resolution...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 21:35:39 »
If you are getting the Windows shutdown dialog when you press K, is it possible that an Alt key or something is stuck down?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1391406

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 22:08:02 »
Ok everyone I thank you for all of the feedback but it has been confirmed that this keyboard does only have the four active pins. So there is something else wrong with this keyboard. Quite a coincidence that it was working perfectly when I left work and not when I returned after a  co worker sat at my desk? Only Unicomp will be able to provide me with the answer. I will work with them on the solution. I thank everyone for their feedback and suggestions. Only time will tell on the resolution...

What're the chances your co-worker would own up to breaking / sabotaging the keyboard?  Does he work within hearing proximity of it? Is it possible the noise perturbed him?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 15:27:47 »
If you are getting the Windows shutdown dialog when you press K, is it possible that an Alt key or something is stuck down?

That's exactly what it was, rowdy. I never use the bottom right alt key, I always use the bottom left alt key when pressing ctrl+alt+del or gaming. It's possible that when the co-worker used the keyboard, he used the bottom right alt key when doing ctrl+alt+del to get the log-in screen. The key may have not been seated right so it got stuck down when it was pressed, making the other keys not work. I didn't notice this as most of the lights are turned down on Saturday's as it's not a regular business day and so it's more relaxed than week days. Yesterday, I examined the keyboard more carefully and when I tilted it, I noticed the stuck alt key. I removed the key, reseated it on the spring, and the problem is now resolved.

I thank everyone for their suggestions and help.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 17:06:38 »
You are most welcome :)

I have experienced almost exactly this, but not with a mechanical keyboard.  Really glad it was nothing sinister.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 18:00:13 »

That's exactly what it was, rowdy. I never use the bottom right alt key, I always use the bottom left alt key when pressing ctrl+alt+del or gaming. It's possible that when the co-worker used the keyboard, he used the bottom right alt key when doing ctrl+alt+del to get the log-in screen. The key may have not been seated right so it got stuck down when it was pressed, making the other keys not work. I didn't notice this as most of the lights are turned down on Saturday's as it's not a regular business day and so it's more relaxed than week days. Yesterday, I examined the keyboard more carefully and when I tilted it, I noticed the stuck alt key. I removed the key, reseated it on the spring, and the problem is now resolved.

Thats hilarious... I gave an old and  faithfull Unicomp to a friend. This keyboard served me for years without any problems. 3 days after he got it, he called me back to tell me my keyboard was broken. Very same exact problem. I never use the right ALT and that's the key he managed to stuck. So I guess unused Unicomp keys are prone to get  stuck :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 13:01:00 »
Let them know about it!  Unicomp seems to be a company that actually cares about their customers.  They would probably appreciate the feedback.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 13:11:49 »
I certainly will. Thanks for all of the help, everyone, including rowdy for pointing me in the right direction. :)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 13:55:56 »
m00nshake,

Would you mind posting some pics of what (if any) additional printing is present on the non function blue keys on your Unicomp?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 13:58:55 »
What do you mean by additional printing?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 14:14:23 »
I mean do any of the blue keys (besides the function keys) have any thing printed on them besides what you normally expect on any other board?  I say besides the function keys because those appear to have Kentucky printed across the top, with F1-F12 printed on the side.  Was curious if any other of the blue keys have anything extra like that.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 14:41:06 »
No I don't believe they do but I'll double check tomorrow

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:07:53 »
Thanks!

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 17:07:42 »
Found this pic on Google images after searching for some old pics posted by snarfangel for his Unicomp Wildcat unboxing: