Author Topic: Engadget reviews Matias Quiet Pro  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
Engadget reviews Matias Quiet Pro
« on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 00:02:38 »
Engadget has posted their review...

http://engadget.com/2012/10/11/matias-quiet-pro-keyboard-review

Feel free to post questions here.  I'll answer what I can.

Offline gloster

Re: Engadget reviews Matias Quiet Pro
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:00:15 »
When will on-line retail stores have it?

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:42:57 »
How quiet is it? Is there a video for the noise comparison?
Thanks
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:49:28 »
Okay, better late than never, we finished our sound comparison widget, so you can hear the difference between our keyboards and typical Cherry boards...

http://matias.ca/quietpro/mac

For Cherry Brown, we used a Das Keyboard.  For Cherry Blue, we used a Razer BlackWidow.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:54:10 »
Thanks for the link. It is much quieter.

I hope I can find it in local store that I can give it a try. I am looking for a quiet mechanical keyboard to use in office.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 14:23:50 »

I hope I can find it in local store that I can give it a try. I am looking for a quiet mechanical keyboard to use in office.

Local stores don't usually carrying mechanical keyboards, aside from the odd noisy gamer board.

They've been selling briskly, so we've only supplied a select few online resellers initially.  When we have more stock, you'll start to see them in the usual places.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 14:28:15 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:20:15 by davkol »

Offline Panoptic

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:14:32 »
I just got one of these today, and will probably have a review up this weekend.  I have a Shure SM57 microphone I can record samples with, and a Filco with Browns, a Leopold with Clears, and an old IBM Model M I can compare it to if anybody's interested.

Offline gloster

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:21:49 »
I can't bring myself to go over $150, so I'm waiting for it to be at other sites where I'm betting I can at least get free shipping, if not a few bucks off list as well.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:36:10 »
I just got one of these today, and will probably have a review up this weekend.  I have a Shure SM57 microphone I can record samples with, and a Filco with Browns, a Leopold with Clears, and an old IBM Model M I can compare it to if anybody's interested.

BTW, for the recordings, we found that a key factor for having them sound accurate was to put the microphone the right distance away.  You want it approximately the same distance as your ears would be from the keyboard on your desk.  Around 12 inches is about right.

You might also have to adjust the gain up a bit.  Otherwise, the loudest keyboards may sound too loud, and the quietest one may sound too quiet.  But don't go overboard.  If the peaks get clipped, they all end up sounding equally loud, which is totally wrong.  That's what happens on a lot of YouTube video reviews.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:43:46 »
I can't bring myself to go over $150, so I'm waiting for it to be at other sites where I'm betting I can at least get free shipping, if not a few bucks off list as well.

If it's the Mac version you want, OWC has it for less than MSRP and offers free shipping...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matias/FK302Q

If you're looking for the PC version, it's sold out until December.  They went really quick.  We're ramping up production in time for the holidays.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 17:12:14 »

The Matias' sound test sounds fair to me.

I use my Matias Quiet Pro at the office and it doesn't bother anyone. It is quiet.

I'm really glad I was able to get one before they sold out.

I had no clue what to expect when I ordered it. The feel out of the box was a pleasant surprise.
Now I'm even tempted to buy a non quiet version for my collection just to own a condomless version of Matias' ALPS.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline gloster

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 17:38:00 »
I'm looking for the PC version.  Oh well, looks like December.

Offline MechKey

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:47:20 »
You can buy two of my Coolermaster Quickfires or one new backlit Logitech for that.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:14:13 »
You can buy two of my Coolermaster Quickfires or one new backlit Logitech for that.

Or you could buy a really nice pair of shoes, or a very cheap digital camera for that.

Actually, I have an old pair of shoes I don't need.  Maybe I could trade you for one of your Coolermaster Quickfires.  I'm willing to throw in an extra pair of laces.   :)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 21:12:38 »

Alps>Cherry MX
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Panoptic

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 23:15:04 »

Alps>Cherry MX

This.  I've been using this keyboard for a couple of hours and I'm completely enamored with it.  Haven't gotten my Filco ergo-cleared yet but I'm already thinking about buying another Matias for work.  Anyway, that review is coming when I get back home.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 23:26:28 »
Been away for a while and was hoping for some good news about the new Matias switch/keyboard. Congrats to Matias on creating my next keyboard, or switches as least :D

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 23:33:48 »

Alps>Cherry MX

I'm definitely an ALPS fanboy. Depending on the switch model, they're more of everything...more tactile, more clicky, or more quiet. I don't get why they don't seem to get more "run" around here. Perhaps it's a pure availability thing?

You might also have to adjust the gain up a bit.  Otherwise, the loudest keyboards may sound too loud, and the quietest one may sound too quiet.  But don't go overboard.  If the peaks get clipped, they all end up sounding equally loud, which is totally wrong.  That's what happens on a lot of YouTube video reviews.

This is the problem with most non-professional or dedicated recording equipment, be it camcorders, point & shoots with video capability, or cell phone cameras. They auto-adjust the gain so there no dynamic contrast, which really makes sound recordings pretty worthless. That was my main motivation in getting a Sony PCM-D50 recorder for recording live music.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 03:04:23 »

Alps>Cherry MX

I'm definitely an ALPS fanboy. Depending on the switch model, they're more of everything...more tactile, more clicky, or more quiet. I don't get why they don't seem to get more "run" around here. Perhaps it's a pure availability thing?

Availability sure doesn't help. I mean, just look at the number of readily available keyboards/keycaps with/for MX switches. There are what two ALPS vendors? Matias and Ducky. This new Matias board looks/sounds nifty, but presently I'd only go after TKL keyboards and that rules this one out. I'm really glad there are multiple switch vendors though.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline homebodygrs

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 08:57:53 »
Regarding the sound of this keyboard.  I have the mac version.....if you're familiar with the logitech diNovo Edge or logitech diNovo media mac edition, the keys on the quiet pro sound similar.  I am amazed.  The feel is slightly less firm than the tactile pro v.1 (which I have) but definitely feel mechanical.  The sound videos which are on youtube (for some reason) are much louder than the mac version keyboard that I have.   It's a great keyboard IMHO.

:D
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 October 2012, 09:45:59 by homebodygrs »

Offline MechKey

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 09:56:54 »

Or you could buy a really nice pair of shoes, or a very cheap digital camera for that.

Actually, I have an old pair of shoes I don't need.  Maybe I could trade you for one of your Coolermaster Quickfires.  I'm willing to throw in an extra pair of laces.   :)

I use a iPhone for pics.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 11:54:05 »
Wow, what an awful review. Stuff that I already know and stuff that didn't really matter. I was like, ok Sam, at least you're going to be rewarded with a nice video review at the end of this boring reading, but no, it didn't happen.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline MechKey

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:31:16 »
Anybody know if it is as quiet as teh new logitech?

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 13:44:24 »
I got an old SGI AT101 with dampened ALPS a while ago, and I fell in love with it. I have two Model Ms, a CM QFR Blues, and various others. But so far, the ALPS has hands-down become my favorite.

I treated myself to the CM Storm after passing a cert test, so I considered doing the same with the new Matias. One question I have though is regarding the keycaps. How are they? On the SGI for instance, they are quite thick PBT and even compared to Dell AT101s, they sound much better. They have a "warmer" sound characteristic than the Dells. From the audio tests I've listened to for the Matias, they seem to have a nice sound with none of the "cheap keycaps" hollowness. That's one of the things about the SGI and the Model Ms I love compared to most Cherry boards I've encountered (usually ABS I'm sure). Lesser ABS Cherry caps impart an annoying (to me) shallowness to the overall experience because of the sound.

But then again, in the grand scheme of things it's a keyboard, and a rather small bit of life, eh? :-D
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 14:07:48 »
Anybody know if it is as quiet as teh new logitech?

I'm assuming you're referring to the G710. I don't have that board, but I do have an MX Brown board with O-Rings (like the G710), and the Matias is quieter. Internal dampening vs external. Completely different sound and feel due to the switch mechanism. I think it lives up to the marketing bill of being the "quietest mechanical keyboard" provided you don't include Topre, which from reports might be a bit quieter.

One question I have though is regarding the keycaps. How are they?

The MQP has ABS caps. Here's a photo:

Shift Key by adfrost81, on Flickr

They have a pleasent enough feel/texture. I've always found ALPS switches to have a lower pitch sound in general, regardless of the keycaps. Which I think is also part of them being quieter. You can see from the soundwaves themselves on the MQP page that they aren't as loud.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 15:31:45 »

Alps>Cherry MX

I don't like the shorter threow: They're in the same boat as cherry ML's to me. There's also a paucity of Dvorak kepcaps for ALPS. Also, the Matias seems to be the only one with a layout anywhere near standard.

I want to see some Surface mount RGB LED's under those clear keyswitches Matias has, though. That'd be an excellent backlit keyboard indeed.

I really want to DIY a KB with matias's new switches, but it's hard to get keycaps, you need to get a mounting plate from somewhere (Just solder the diodes to a teensy) and there aren't any real options for keycaps once you're done.

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 15:38:34 »
One question I have though is regarding the keycaps. How are they?

The MQP has ABS caps. Here's a photo:
Show Image

Shift Key by adfrost81, on Flickr

They have a pleasent enough feel/texture. I've always found ALPS switches to have a lower pitch sound in general, regardless of the keycaps. Which I think is also part of them being quieter. You can see from the soundwaves themselves on the MQP page that they aren't as loud.

Nice. I think, again in my own experience, the difference there is the thickness of the caps. To me, the thinner caps are more prone to that sound characteristic I was describing, for obvious reasons. Those caps look really good though.
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline gloster

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:33:47 »
Looks like I'll be finding out for myself.  I just bought a Quiet Pro on eBay.  I will start staring at my mailbox immediately.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 18:03:52 »
Looks like I'll be finding out for myself.  I just bought a Quiet Pro on eBay.  I will start staring at my mailbox immediately.

Good for you. It is a nice board. Come back and tell us how happy you are once you get it :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 18:32:41 »

The life of a Keyboard enthusiast.  You'll find that as time gos on you'll spend more time at the Mailbox than with your Girl friend.

Offline gloster

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 15:30:30 »

The life of a Keyboard enthusiast.  You'll find that as time gos on you'll spend more time at the Mailbox than with your Girl friend.

That's ok.  My wife doesn't like it when I spend time with my girlfriend.