Author Topic: plate? for keyboards  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Sinzz

plate? for keyboards
« on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 01:16:37 »
Anyone know where I can find something like this orange backing for keyboards? I want to change mine up to a different color but I would like to avoid painting.

btw this is from a BENQ KX890
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: plate? for keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 08:22:05 »
That's the plate and it looks to be finished in orange rather than some insert or overlay.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:03:09 »
You cam wrap your plate or plasticdip the plate
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:32:55 »
Painting is the best way. I don't think plastidip would be good idea. It is too thick and you would probably have issues getting the switches back in for reassembly, wrapping might be doable if you cut bigger squares around the switch sockets. Of course you will have to totally disassemble either way, so I don't know why painting is a big deal?
I suppose you could have someone cut you a new plate, maybe out of orange plexi, or if metal have it painted pro at a body shop or something.
I really like the look of that Benq too, too bad they used the bigass enter so I would never buy it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:36:49 by lysol »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:08:32 »
The wrap should also work if you cover the top side, flip it and then use an xacto to cut all the switches out.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Sinzz

plate? for keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:21:10 »
Well the only reason I didn't want to paint was because I'm very bad at painting and having it look nice with no runny lines etc. and also very impatient with applying multiple costs an what not. I suppose I can wrap it since I've done wraps before (dunno why I didn't think of that), so that's definitely a can do. I was just seein if there were already pre cut plates that could be purchased or what not so I wouldn't have to go through the DIY stuff.

Wouldn't mind wrapping it in a chrome ish wrap so the LEDs will show better.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:38:52 »
If you have a body shop around you really might ask about it. Some of them really don't mind painting some small items at the end of the day, as they need to clear out thier paint sprayers and sometimes use up leftover custom paint orders and such anyway. I've had local shop paint up some pc cases and things in the past for very small fee, less than cost of good paint at retail.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:48:37 »
You could probably get it chrome plated.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sinzz

plate? for keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 05:08:22 »
If you have a body shop around you really might ask about it. Some of them really don't mind painting some small items at the end of the day, as they need to clear out thier paint sprayers and sometimes use up leftover custom paint orders and such anyway. I've had local shop paint up some pc cases and things in the past for very small fee, less than cost of good paint at retail.

Hmmm I might try that. Do you just go up to them and ask "hey mind helping me paint this real quick?"