Author Topic: Realforce 108UDK  (Read 1144 times)

Offline jackstar7

Realforce 108UDK
« on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 08:10:23 »
I just got this in a deal made on my first day on the forums... and while it is taking a little adjustment to manage my usual typing methods with the jp layout, this is as much of a pleasure to type upon as my 87U-silent that I have at home and nearly as quiet without the silencing.

Now that I have one for work and home, I'm not sure I'll be able to go back.

So a hearty thank you to both khaangaaroo as well as this board as a whole for being here to help me find the experience that I have long been searching for without being able to really articulate what I was after.

I probably just had about 40 slip-ups while trying to type this message, but the experience of learning the adjustments is still no trouble at all.

So thanks to everyone!
Topre 30g 104U-Silent --- 87U-Silent and 103U are now backups only

Offline jackstar7

Re: Realforce 108UDK
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 11:55:58 »
After a morning of basically not being able to completely adjust to this layout, I have decided I am going to try and make some adjustments via an extra set of caps and see if there's a way to turn this 108 into a reasonable 103/104/105 where what's printed on the keys matches what happens when I hit them.

On the bright side my thumbs have adjusted to the mini-spacebar, but hopefully I can adjust that and the right shift key to get something close to what is comfortable for me. Hopefully this goes as smoothly as I hope so that I can match closer what's on the 87U at home and not be distracted by symbols on keys as much.

I do enjoy typing on this a great deal... just don't think my fingers will accept adjustments beyond the spacebar.

Glad I have that extra set of caps though...

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 12:09:04 »
Hi :)

My first Topre board, a few months ago, was a 91-UBK. Indeed, it's a little awkward at first to type on some keys you were used to type on, and just don't have the same input than before. (Sometimes it just has no input at all, that's pretty weird when you start typing on this though).
I couldn't adjust my typing to it, so I sold it back (not the primary reason, but whatever).

I guess you could use some soft to "remarry" keys to another position if you'd like to.
Using a different layout than the one you're used to is always a tad bit awkward (as when I switched from AZERTY to QWERTY, and now I'm using QWERTY on AZERTY boards), but you'll eventually get used to it.
The major problem, IMO, is that you'll have two boards, with different layouts, and that might be a few days of use to "correctly" switch from one to another.

Other than that, the mini-spacebar we find on Jap-layouts Topre boards is great actually, and it wasn't weird at all for me.

I hope you get to use it well with your adjustments, I think that's a good idea if you've already got a spare set :)

Offline jackstar7

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 12:14:28 »
Yeah, it's an adjustment.

I had purchased a set of yellow caps for my 87U (still not as good a typist as I'd like to be), so I think I can take the caps that I swapped out and put them on here and hopefully wind up with a workable board.

I'm definitely a sucker for the Topres now. Not sure I'll ever be able to go back... (oh, my wallet!)

Appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 23:31:48 »
Hey! I must have missed this thread since I left to go camping shortly after we met up. I was AFK for a few days...haha.
I hope you're adjusting ok to the board. I'm sure the extra ANSI caps will help a bit, especially for the number row.
I also thought of putting some padding underneath the keys that don't do anything, so when you accidentally press them, they won't go down and you'll know right away.