Author Topic: WYSE 900866-01 Mech. KB problems when using on Windows  (Read 1029 times)

Offline bduran

WYSE 900866-01 Mech. KB problems when using on Windows
« on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 09:25:41 »
Greetings Geekhack Community,

I've had an old WYSE dumb terminal (VT50 possibly) keyboard (90086-01) lying around my house for quite a bit now and wanted to try it on one of my Windows 7 or XP PCs.

When I plug it in to the PS/2 port, the CAPS, SCROLL, and NUM indicator LEDs will light up like a normal PS/2 keyboard. However, once I boot into Windows and attempt to use the keyboard, it immediately starts to beep wildly and freeze up the PC. Sometimes when things look promising, I will see all or a fraction of what I typed slowly come out, or nothing at all and just the constant beeping / freezing of the computer.

Usually immediately unplugging the keyboard will stop the beeping and the computer will be responsive again.

This happens on all of my Windows 2000, XP, and 7 machines and I can't figure out why it's doing this. The only thing that I can think of is that there is something special with it being a dump client keyboard and maybe it has some sort of hard coded interface driver or something.

Any insight into these issues would be wonderful. It's a real nice comfy keyboard and I would not mind using it for some things.

--- Brian D.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: WYSE 900866-01 Mech. KB problems when using on Windows
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 10:03:09 »
Thats one of the 2 models that are actually ps/2, not a terminal keyboard. Sounds like it is merely malfunctioning. Have you opened it and checked for any bad connections or shorts?