Author Topic: HHKB V. Realforce  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
HHKB V. Realforce
« on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 01:24:45 »
Hi all, Im looking to get into Topres soon, but I'm unsure if the variable keyweighting on Realforce is better for typing or If I should just go with a HHKB. I'm typing up essays all of the time in college, but I the way I type I mostly use my thumb fore, and index fingers to type (been trying to teach myself properly as of late but as for the moment thats how I type) If I get a realforce, I think I'd get a used one and try to get one of those huge metal cases with the built in armrest for it, because honestly, by itself its pretty visually unappealing. The HHKB is amazing in that I could take it with me when I use my laptop at places though, so thats another consideration. If the HHKB is great to type on for coders/typists, then I'll probably go with that as it'll probably be a pain to track down one of those cases for the realforce... Any advice/ testimonials?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: HHKB V. Realforce
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 01:30:08 »
Realforce also comes in uniformly weighted keys (all keys at 45g or 55g). I find the variable weighting distracting, but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 06:54:22 »
Good luck finding those metal arm rest cases.  They seen tho be sold out everywhere.  Get a RF...it has a metal plate....hhkb doesn't iirc.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 07:23:41 »
They are two completely different boards, could you handle the heavy reliance on the Fn layer of the HHKB? Would you be ok with CAPSLOCK being CTRL? I love my HHKB, equally because of the layout and Topre switches.

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 10:54:48 »
Yeah... I'm leaning more towards a RF now. Although, I've notices, at leask on EK that some of the white cased one seem to be made by...leopold? Whats up with that? Topre contract them out just for the white cased ones? And only some of them at that? Are they still made in Japan? Because I thought leopolds facility was in Taiwan/China.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 10:56:59 »
The stock realforces arent visual appealing, but once you get some keycaps for them, they will be :D
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 15:31:00 »
Yeah... I'm leaning more towards a RF now. Although, I've notices, at leask on EK that some of the white cased one seem to be made by...leopold? Whats up with that? Topre contract them out just for the white cased ones? And only some of them at that? Are they still made in Japan? Because I thought leopolds facility was in Taiwan/China.

All Realforces are made in Japan; Topre just puts their "Realforce" brandname on all boards of the same base design. Otherwise they leave market research up to their distributors (one per country). With the exception of the base 103U and 86U models, all model rights and small feature changes are paid for by distributors. The "EK" model 87U is commissioned by EliteKeyboards, though up until a year ago all the original models of the 87U were commissioned by Leopold Korea. We get to specify any attribute of the board we'd like for sale in our own market, but factory minimums are high, so you often see us buying boards from each other for distribution in our respective countries.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 16:17:59 »
I think the Realforce is a very attractive board.  It is solid with a good amount of plastic, nice edges, and a tasteful logo.  In fact, I want to get a EK edition at some point because I hate to "waste" my 10th anniversary edition by hiding inside my metal case.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:43:32 »
I had a Realforce but i sold it on ebay.  :( I have a problem and i hope someone here can help me: I have a MAC and every time i turned my computer off, i would have to plug in my Realforce keyboard again to work. Was their a switch in the back that i had to change to? I tried every one and they still didn't make a difference. Thanks.

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 22:56:52 »
I had a Realforce but i sold it on ebay.  :( I have a problem and i hope someone here can help me: I have a MAC and every time i turned my computer off, i would have to plug in my Realforce keyboard again to work. Was their a switch in the back that i had to change to? I tried every one and they still didn't make a difference. Thanks.

As an owner of a mac as well, assuming you dont get an answer by the time I get mine, Ill definitely test mine out and play around to try and get you an answer! How did you like it when you had it? Other than the obvious annoyance

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 22:58:20 »
i have never experienced that issue. sometimes it takes a little bit of time after waking my mac from sleep to accept input from the board but never more than a few seconds.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 15:43:45 »
I liked the keyboard a lot but i do think it is overpriced. With that being said, i may buy it again!  ;D Here is a question though: I noticed that Elite keyboards are selling a universal 45g Realforce keyboard. Does that make the keyboard louder? Also, do you know what a HHKB force is? I have a HHKB and i think they are universally 45g. Thanks.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:54:01 »
At first I thought that spending over $300 on the Topre AE board was insane. Then I spent a week typing on it. My god... I would've felt justified spending $500+ on this thing.

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:55:53 »
Can't say much for RF but love my HHKB.  Soon to have a RF keychain. =D

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 17:18:10 »
Can someone link to a picture of this "Realforce metal arm wrest case"?  I have not seen that yet.
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:21:03 »
Can someone link to a picture of this "Realforce metal arm wrest case"?  I have not seen that yet.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36377.0 there ya go man

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 18:45:17 »
I don't like the huge wrist rest on the thing, and i'd prefer to use my own wrist rest anyways. I'd like to have a case similiar to the ones on the custom korean keyboards.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 19:44:08 »
I don't like the huge wrist rest on the thing, and i'd prefer to use my own wrist rest anyways. I'd like to have a case similiar to the ones on the custom korean keyboards.

No problem :)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:23:47 »

No problem :)

Yeah I know about those... but someone here has bought one before, and said that there were QC issues with them. And they're also 1.5x the cost of the keyboard itself.

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 22:40:05 »
The one with the huge wrist looks like a damn Atari 5200. And I love my 5200.