Author Topic: Ducky Shine backlight problems  (Read 5059 times)

Offline slimsim222

Ducky Shine backlight problems
« on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 16:21:48 »
Hey,

My ducky shine(first release, not shine2) has started to act up on me.
I recently noticed that the led on some of the keys are really dim and almost completely dead. I've never spilled anything on it so I have no idea what it could be. All the keys work perfectly apart from the ones with a bung led.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?  ;)

Thanks

Offline ih8

Re: Ducky Shine backlight problems
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 16:39:55 »
is there no current warranty?

Offline slimsim222

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:07:59 »
is there no current warranty?

Yea there is but I've tried to contact Ducky by phone (didn't speak English) and multiple times via email and have had no luck...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:12:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sorry that your first post is to seek help for s sick keyboard :(

Where did you buy your keyboard from?  Can your local reseller handle the warranty for you?

If you do give up on the warranty route, you could always try opening the keyboard and replacing the LEDs yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline slimsim222

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:21:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sorry that your first post is to seek help for s sick keyboard :(

Where did you buy your keyboard from?  Can your local reseller handle the warranty for you?

If you do give up on the warranty route, you could always try opening the keyboard and replacing the LEDs yourself.

I actually bought it from someone on a local forum who bought several of them while they were visiting Taiwan. That means the reseller is a Taiwanese shop which still doesn't really help my problem.
Do you know anyone who has successfully managed to do a warranty claim directly through Ducky?

Yea I'll end up trying to replace the LEDs myself if all else fails.
Any idea how hard it is to do? Lucky I have a Filco Majestouch that I can use if I break it  :)

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 18:41:17 »
If you know someone who can solder, it's fairly easy to swap out the LED.  I had to replace my Enter switch on my backlit Ducky, so I had to have both the switch and the LED desoldered to replace them.  I knew a guy at work who was able to do it.  Took a few minutes, but worked great.  The hardest part will be finding the exact LED they use unless you take one from an unused switch.  I have the 104+4 for example, and the top right four keys I almost never use, so I'd probably grab one of those if I needed to.  Note: there are two different layers of screws holding the board in, so make sure you catch them all.

Offline slimsim222

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 03:57:56 »
BUMP: does anyone have experience with returning the product for repair/replacement to Ducky?

Offline Human

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 04:07:56 »
If you know someone who can solder, it's fairly easy to swap out the LED.  I had to replace my Enter switch on my backlit Ducky, so I had to have both the switch and the LED desoldered to replace them.  I knew a guy at work who was able to do it.  Took a few minutes, but worked great.  The hardest part will be finding the exact LED they use unless you take one from an unused switch.  I have the 104+4 for example, and the top right four keys I almost never use, so I'd probably grab one of those if I needed to.  Note: there are two different layers of screws holding the board in, so make sure you catch them all.
Wondering anyone here can share their experiences or info of the tools used for removing the LED on Cherry MX switches. I had a hard time try to remove the LED on my Razer BWU...