Author Topic: Want to get a new keyboard for work, would blues be too loud?  (Read 22486 times)

Offline Upcboy

• Perfect Aim
Re: Want to get a new keyboard for work, would blues be too loud?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 16:47:38 »
I have a Friend that has Browns on his and he works in a call center and no one has complained about his. He hasn't even had Customers notice it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 05:05:20 »
The only real problem I find with blues at work is the typing noise while I am on the phone (that is my typing).  I get the feeling sometimes that the clients might think I am doing something else whilst talking to them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 19:49:12 »
Good thing you don't work with me. Besides, i really don't type that much. It's mostly clicking a mouse and some light typing. The advantage we have at work is we have ipods on our ears so we aren't even listening to other noises in our office.  ^-^

hhaha your lucky, my work confiscates all electronics including mobile phones and radio or music is not allowed :(

I work in health care and technically we aren't supposed to have anything that can record or take pictures. However, it is a policy that nowadays is almost impossible to keep track of. Every body has their smart phones. The advantage i have is i am not around the patients and i can keep myself out of the way of others. What kind of job do you do? CIA?  ;)

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 21:07:28 »
Most of the time those typical rubber dome keyboards are a lot louder than any  mechanical keyboard with MX Cherry.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 22:05:39 »
uhm....no

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:17:47 »
Most of the time those typical rubber dome keyboards are a lot louder than any  mechanical keyboard with MX Cherry.

I also would disagree, whilst bowing in respect to the yellow key caps in your signature - do you mind if I enquire as to what they are and where they came from? :)

Most rubber domes are just that - rubber domes.  The sound of a rubber dome deforming, and it is rare that a keycap on a robber dome keyboard goes any further down than the deforming rubber dome permits, is not very audible.  Unless you really pound the keys, in which case any keyboard will be loud.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 01:14:51 »
If anyone here has used the matias quiet pro, can you tell me how it compares to cherry mx brown and blue switches?

It is much more quiet than browns and blues.  This is arguably the most quiet keyboard you can use that isn't a silenced topre.

Being dampened on the down AND upstrokes helps a lot :) And when you do bottom out, it feels softer than any Cherry MX switch...but not mushy like a rubber dome. Great switches!
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline schizrade

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 16:02:42 »
Most people used to rubber domes pound the keys flat. They often make more noise than a buckling spring board. one guy I knew was so loud on a $5 RD special people on the other end of the line would complain.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 17:24:04 »
There's a guy like that at work - he really pounds his keyboard as if he is trying to push it through the desk.

I don't want to let him use my Ducky!

Offline schizrade

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 18:05:27 »
There's a guy like that at work - he really pounds his keyboard as if he is trying to push it through the desk.

I don't want to let him use my Ducky!

Hell I hear my coworkers with Dell OEM boards pound away from 3 doors down.

Like I said, we are all too busy to notice.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 18:07:03 »
I own all three...MQP is considerably quieter. There's no "clack" due to the dampening, and there no mechanism to create a "click" sound.

The difference between clicky and tactile Alps switches is actually a lot more subtle than that. Tactile switches have two additional folded tabs in the leaf that stop the leaf being pulled forwards when the slider snags on it. It's the release from this pull forward motion that causes the click (a pressed bump in the leaf strikes the inside of the case), and blocking this action leaves the switch as merely tactile. Sandy used to have some nice diagrams of this, although really we need some lethal squirrel animations, which might help analyse where the scraping occurs in tactile Alps switches as a result of the leaf being held firm.

Pedantic post for the day ;-)

The clack of plate-mounted MX switches though is very high pitched and piercing, and I don't know why. Plate-mounted black Alps CM doesn't seem that much quiter, but the frequency spread is much wider and the whole tone is overall much deeper, so it's distinctly less bothersome.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner