Author Topic: A serious question, is single sex schools good for boys?  (Read 7274 times)

Offline tinlong117

A serious question, is single sex schools good for boys?
« on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:46:12 »
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: A serious question, is single sex schools good for boys?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:50:39 »
If they already have serious social/socialization issues then sure.  Otherwise no.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:56:42 »
I vote no.
Keyboardless

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 10:08:55 »
I vote no.
why not?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 12:24:56 »
No boobs? Noooooooooooo!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 12:27:48 »
I went through regular public schools in the 1950s-60s then went to Georgia Tech in 1970. At that time, for all practical purposes, Georgia Tech was all-male, although there were coeds on campus (and had been, in miniscule numbers, for a couple of decades).

A class with a girl in it was the exception rather than the rule, and a class with 2 or 3 girls was almost shocking. In 5 years there I only dated 3 Tech coeds.

Everything else being equal, I suspect that the depth and quality of my education was improved by the removal of the distraction of the opposite sex, but the social consequences were a huge downside. If I had to do it over again, I would, but it is certainly not the best choice for everybody.

And that was at the college level, of course.

I would not recommend single-sex schools until after puberty. Younger children need socialization more than anybody else.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 12:32:45 »
That's a better argument than mine, I do quite agree that children need social interaction so they aren't introverts all their life.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 12:53:40 »
No.

Because they are usually religious schools.

Religion is corrupt.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:09:23 »
No.

Religion is a lie.

FTFY

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:11:13 »
No.

Religion is a lie, and politics are corrupt.

FTFY, better than MMB...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:32:27 »
Dieties are a lie. Religion is corrupt.

Anyway, no, I don't think single sex schools are good.

If a kid really wants to interact with the opposite sex they are going to do it. Why stop them? Rather have my kid see his gf at the same school than him skipping class to see her.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:43:11 »
Dieties are a lie. Religion is corrupt.

Anyway, no, I don't think single sex schools are good.

If a kid really wants to interact with the opposite sex they are going to do it. Why stop them? Rather have my kid see his gf at the same school than him skipping class to see her.
For lack of a better word Amen! Separating boys from girls is as unnatural as separating peanut butter from jam. I don't even want to think about how awkward of a human being I would be if I grew up in an all boys school. The only thing worse would be home schooling I think.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:49:55 »
I agree that religion and home schooling are far worse than segregated secondary schools.

And I hate jelly on peanut butter sandwiches.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 14:00:35 »
I've worked with a number of guys from all-boy schools. IMO they had real problems relating to female co-workers and it was worse with female bosses. They were like walking lawsuits waiting to happen.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 14:59:40 »
Academically, yes. Socially, depends on what they do outside school. Mixed gender schools tend to be more feminised and thus why girls get better grades than boys these days.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 15:49:01 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:27:23 by davkol »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:00:47 »
Socially, depends on what they do outside school.
This. EE/nursing schools are almost single-sex, but noone seems to have a problem with that.
Mixed gender schools tend to be more feminised and thus why girls get better grades than boys these days.
My experience is quite the opposite. It might be an exception, though.

EE/Nursing schools aren't purposely segregated.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:02:29 »
no it's silly, let boys get over the anxiety of sweaty palms and silly "mix tapes" early on.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:23:24 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:27:37 by davkol »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 18:22:08 »
I could be wrong but I think the real question here is wether or not its good for same sex schooling in a child's adolescence. Once your in a collage or university you have (hopefully) already developed social skills. It has always been my belief that purposely separating anyone for any reason be it gender or ethnicity is not good.  How can we expect people to understand equality if these types of establishments exist?
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 18:54:16 »
Life is overwhelming and confusing at any age.

Removing variables makes solving the remaining ones easier.

I do not see either environment as inherently healthy or unhealthy, individuals have greatly different reactions, for better or worse.

There are circumstances where social and academic educations hinder or conflict with each other, there are positives to the segregation of sexes during periods of raging hormones.

Sameness and homogeneity are not always desirable paths or outcomes.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 19:00:25 »
Socially, depends on what they do outside school.
This. EE/nursing schools are almost single-sex, but noone seems to have a problem with that.
Mixed gender schools tend to be more feminised and thus why girls get better grades than boys these days.

EE/Nursing schools aren't purposely segregated.
Does it matter? I don't think so. As long as the school doesn't promote some ideologic (e.g. religious) bullsh1t, at least.

but most of these school do.

the one that are purposely segregated.

unlikes nursing/EE school (which lets be real, it's not all males/all females)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 19:06:43 »
Obviously you do not live in Australia
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 19:33:12 »
Obviously you do not live in Australia
yeah, you're right. But is it really matter?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 19:42:00 »
^ Yes, because in Australia that is an standard practice and people not pay too much attention to this. IMH  there is not a black and white answer.
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 20:11:21 »
My younger brother is in a choir boys school in Toronto. He's been there since grade 5 and is graduating from grade 12 this year. He came out just fine, lol.  I personally don't think it's a matter if it's single gender or a mix gender school. As long as the kids there have a good rep and the school encourages leadership skills and educational opportunities, it'll keep them really busy (too busy to go off and do stupid things at least).
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 20:33:28 »
Well, I was awkward and alone in high school, so from that perspective it makes no difference.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 21:39:24 »
No boobs? Noooooooooooo!
but you got penis :p

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:14:28 »
Wrongggg!!!!! EveryoneLOVES  boobies...  no one loves **** the same way. I ♥ BOOBIES

You have gotten awnsers from various people from around the world. If you want to send your kid or is wondering wether it was a good idea or not to send a boy to a boy school then you have gotten the view of the people of the modern day. This question is bigger than a yes or know answer or an opinion of a pool of people. I suggest you Google the affects of sending a child to an al boy school because all kids/people are different and the affects may differ ffrom person to person.

If you ask my opinion. I would say no, it is not a good idea. Anytime you  hold a part of the world away from a child,  you hold back their mind. Let kids do what is normal(majority) and give them room to grow.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:26:22 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 08:54:39 »
Heh
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2013, 07:41:52 by tinlong117 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 09:18:46 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:28:00 by davkol »

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 09:21:42 »
However, I really have some problem with my social skills... I always sooo shy to girls. I don't know how to flirt. I don't know how to start an interesting topics as well...
I actually didn't go to a single-sex school... and guess what? I always sooo shy to girls. I don't know how to flirt. I don't know how to start an interesting topics as well...
I'm soooo jealous that my friends can meet girls and date with them..... :(
So you don't have any free time either?
i have free time but i dont have any opposite sex friends
Edit: in hong kong i mean that
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 09:23:41 by tinlong117 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 09:48:34 »
You can't make too many excuses.

My brother told his wife that his golf game would be greatly improved IF ONLY he had a new set of golf clubs.

Teenage boys are totally intimidated by teenage girls, it has always been that way.

Just be natural and sincere. Something will happen, eventually.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:31:43 »
Hey tinlong, i will tell you from experience that most boys your age feel the same way. (I am not much older than you). Dont worry too much. We call that insecurity and all teenagers have it believe it or not. Most people are afraid of their insecuritys and make fun of other people to make themself look better. Don't let those people win. It will not take one day but if you understand that everyone shares the same emotions but expresses them in different ways. If they do not teach you want to know in school then I suggest you find books about girls to better learn about them.(read information about them with an open mind and not about sex. Even if the book is on how to get girls). What is better; is read about boys to better learn about yourself. Believe it o not there is more to learn about yourself. Read about boys to learn about your friends and why they act the way they do. Better yet read about humans in general and why they do the things they do. Another thing you can do is read about religion or Buddhism to better love yourself and people around you. You live in Taiwan right? Have you heard of Tzu Chi? They are an idea of people helping people. I know you are good with business and is more than likely decent in school. Use your abilities to learn about business or school and use that ability to learn about boys, girls, your parents, your friends parents, your parent's parrents, your teachers, somone you just met, etcetera. Try to put yourself in tier shoes. See life as they see it. Once you know what peoples' strengths are, their weaknesses, their desires, their pains, once you know them, you have the uppperhand. Try to ignore what your ignorant friends say about you because whatatters is what you say about yourself. The friends that put you down and make you feel like crap are not your friends. Do not hate them but do not like them. Find nice people not mean ones. I know it is hard to find nice people your age but they are there. If need be find adults to be your friends. Do you have anyone that you can talk to about your issues? I mean somone in person.

You can pm me if you like. I don't mind to help you. :)

About the all boy school thing. I think either the boy will become very manic/wild or very shy/recessive.

Anyone that disagrees with me please quote me and reply with your correction.
Anyone that agrees withe me please quote me and reply with your thoughts.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:42:09 »
You can't make too many excuses.

My brother told his wife that his golf game would be greatly improved IF ONLY he had a new set of golf clubs.

Teenage boys are totally intimidated by teenage girls, it has always been that way.

Just be natural and sincere. Something will happen, eventually.

Even adult boys feel that way so do girls and and adult girls but less so.

It is mostly your biology that is like a brick wall to your desire.
But as you get older you will better know your brick wall and find a way around it.

Once you get old enough when your emotions calm down. Then you can think.

Teenage years is tough and it will not last. In fact it will go by really quickly and someday you may miss it.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Malphas

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:20:01 »
You probably are, or the country you're from is. In most western countries, girls have been outperforming boys academically for the past fifteen years or so, before then it was the opposite. Obviously (unless you're a chauvinist/feminist) it's not because one sex is inherently more capable than the other, but because the genders are different, mature at different rates, have different brain chemistry, etc. then a system teaching both is never going to be ideal for everyone, and will usually lean one way or the other regarding which gender it favours.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:23:37 by Malphas »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 05:19:21 »
Poor tinlong! He was talking about this on IRC a couple of weeks ago. He obviously needs some female interaction.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 05:51:50 »
Poor tinlong! He was talking about this on IRC a couple of weeks ago. He obviouslhy needs some female interaction.

have your wife killed you? :p

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 06:14:23 »
Poor tinlong! He was talking about this on IRC a couple of weeks ago. He obviouslhy needs some female interaction.

have your wife killed you? :p

Not yet!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 11:13:09 »
IMO - no type of segregation is good.  Unfortunately there are times we have to do it (e.g. for students with severe learning disabilities) however those should be kept few and far between and only when absolutely necessary for both parties ('normal' and 'impaired' students).
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline nar

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 20:57:13 »
Well I've been in a single sex school for 10 years. From the middle of elementary to the end of high school. So I have a few things to say on this:

Single sex schools will help academics, but this is so so fragile. During the early few years of puberty, I'd definitely reduce the number of crazy things going on because of boys and girls being together, but then you end up with some boys who, for lack of a better word, are kind of overprotected from girls? Basically introduce girls to them in any significant manner and productivity and learning plummet faster than anything else.
And of course is the obvious lack of social contact with girls that some boys have will be pretty detrimental in the future.

The way my school did it, I think was pretty good. My school was single sex but pretty much paired up with sister schools that were nearby, so there would be lots of outside joint activities with girls only schools but only before or after school. It was basically single-sex during school time and various more academic leaning extra circulars but everything else would at least try to involve girls as well. That pretty much gets you the boost in academics without much social damage. There's still the guys who just don't participate in any activities outside of school who miss out on any contact with girls who would have had it otherwise if they went to a co-ed school, but otherwise it went pretty well.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline tcv

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 06:26:58 »
I vote no for this.

It will raise the social awkwardness of the individual later down the road.

As the parent you should be able to instruct/discipline your kids to value academics so that it takes priority over distractions.

Offline älg

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 09:20:27 »
For me as a 90s kid asking this question is similar to asking if teachers should be allowed to beat the children. This is so far from reality for me... Do this kind of schools still exist in a larger scale in the US?

Don't put your kids there!