Author Topic: Need help choosing a new keyboard  (Read 1772 times)

Offline samsara

Need help choosing a new keyboard
« on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 05:20:53 »
Hello,

I bought a Qpad mechanical keyboard (brown switches) a year ago, but it's (almost) broke and i need a new one.

Now I'm stucked between a Tesoro Durandal Ultimate (889 dkr. $156) and the Ducky Shine II (1349 dkr. /$237). So is the higher price for the ducky worth it. I've heard that the ducky is of higher quality than the Tesoro, and someone told me that Tesoro use the same manufacturer as Qpad, which is not a good thing; My Qpad could't even stand a few nerd rages.

When it comes to switches its going to be either the red or blue cherry switches. I will do much school work, and I like the soft feel of the red switches. I've never tried blue swithces but some people say thats it's best the writing alot.

Thanks for listening,

Regards
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 05:36:20 by samsara »

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
Re: Need help choosing a new keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 07:21:53 »
do you really need the backlit feuture :S?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 07:43:58 »
I'll just say the same as xyril. Do you really need backlit?

But there's also the Cooler Master Trigger as a backlit Cherry MX Brown keyboard, the Logitech G710+ (though lol, I suspect it's the same OEM as your Qpad)...

And why not giving the chinese keyboards a try? There's the Noppoo Choc Mini Backlit, which is quite a well built board...

Also, that Ducky is just mad crazy expensive... Lemme see if I can find something nice with international shipping.

EDIT: Here we go,

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_85_233&products_id=35097

US$ 120 + US$ 54 of international shipping (United States Postal Service - Priority Mail International, 6 - 10 business days)...

Though you could get a FILCO Majestouch 2 with Cherry MX Brown and free shipping world-wide for US$ 160
http://linkecomputer.com/products/1016967/FKBN104MEFB2/Filco/

Yeah I know, stuff's expensive, but I also paid US$ 160 on my Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent when I imported it. But buying here on my country costs about US$ 300.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 08:04:39 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline samsara

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 13:16:39 »
Hello, yes I do need the backlit. I can't see myself using a keyboard without :)

The layout of the keyboard has to be ISO (european), else it won't work. It's the one with the bigger sized enter-key. I should've told you before, but didn't think of it.
The Corsair trigger is avaiable in Denmark (which is were I live) for 877dkr/$154, but the Qpad I got has brown switches which I don't like very much, but I will see if I can find one with blue or red switches.
One more thing I require of a keyboard is the numeric keypad since I'm doing alot of math and other sciences.
As I stated before the switches have to be either blue or red, but red is preferred.

Either way, thanks for giving me some ideas. I did check out the sites, but could't find any ISO boards unfortunately.

In regards of the price, we also have to remember that there's alot factors that involves the higher prices. Fx. we have very high salaries which equal to higher prices. Also VAT is 25%.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 13:30:00 by samsara »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 15:03:03 »
What happened to your Qpad?  How is it broken?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:52:58 »
iOne+nerdrage=pile of poop keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:55:56 »
iOne?  Say no more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:57:22 »
Lulz.

Offline samsara

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 02:35:28 »
What Smallfry said. Qpad is manufactured by iOne. I don't know if Tesoro is manufactured by iOne too, but I've heard somewhere that it is, which is why I'm hesitant buying one.

Offline Chase5delta

• Keyboardoholic
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 01:32:22 »
Ducky is definately worth the price
Filco MJ2 TKL (Mx Blues) Keycool 84 (Mx Reds)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 01:57:10 »
The only thing with Ducky Shine is finding key caps to let the backlighting shine through.  Crystal meth are good tho :)