Author Topic: do double-shots ever wear out?  (Read 8382 times)

Offline phx

do double-shots ever wear out?
« on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 13:20:57 »
one thing I cannot stand is feeling the prints on my caps, so this reduces me down to:
- blanks
- dye-sub
- double-shot

dye sub I know you cant feel it, but what about double-shots? From what I heard after a long time of use it can wear out and you can actually start to feel the lettering, is this true for any of you?

thanks!

Offline fl0w3n

Re: do double-shots ever wear out?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 14:24:11 »
The "keycap" and the letter are going to wear the same, unless you somehow avoid touching the letter part it's entire life.

I'm currently typing on double shots from ~1980, and I can't feel any difference between the letter and key. 

Offline phx

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 15:05:39 »
The "keycap" and the letter are going to wear the same, unless you somehow avoid touching the letter part it's entire life.

I'm currently typing on double shots from ~1980, and I can't feel any difference between the letter and key. 

awesome, thanks for the input!

Offline Vintage

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 16:42:08 »
I don't own any doubleshots... but I would think that the person above is correct. Doubleshot means the legend is a different colored plastics in the mold of the base piece. That is why the legends never fade, because the legend goes all the way through the cap.

So you would need to wear the base at a different rate than the plastic of the legend, which I would think, is pretty unlikely.

Regardless, I would recommend Dyesub PBT because they don't "shine" as fast/feel better. The only advantage of doubleshots is more detailed legends/colors. Unless you need backlighting.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:40:20 »
Yes, the legend will never fade but the top of the key will shine uniformly. I haven't heard of anyone ever having problems with feeling the legend, and I certainly haven't.

But Vintage's recommendation regarding PBTs is correct. But the feel of the key material is subjective. :)

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline phx

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 01:42:20 »
yep I ordered a set of dye-sub PBT from the recent group buy, really looking forward to laying my fingers on some PBT.

the set I currently use claims to be PBT, I kinda doubt it.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 01:49:16 »
Doubleshots are the best and never wear out. I sell hundreds of them on GH and DT. I've got new full set stock too. You can even see the texture in this pic.

Sadly they aren't for the light of wallet...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline csimi

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 05:49:42 »
They get shiny.
Why doesn't anyone make doubleshot PBT or doubleshot aluminium keycaps?

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 06:00:45 »
They get shiny.

PBT doesn't cooperate with the molding process like ABS does. It's very difficult to do. Although there were reports of one company finally making them commercially.

As for aluminium, there's a whole new range of problems there... Metal is completely different to plastic.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline phx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:04:04 »
They get shiny.

PBT doesn't cooperate with the molding process like ABS does. It's very difficult to do. Although there were reports of one company finally making them commercially.

As for aluminium, there's a whole new range of problems there... Metal is completely different to plastic.

why do people like aluminium? I doubt they would feel better compared to plastic.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 12:37:16 »
I still want companies to use something other that ABS, PBT or POM. Why not PEEK if we are to choose a really good plastic? Well, okay besides price perhaps. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline phx

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 12:52:52 »
I still want companies to use something other that ABS, PBT or POM. Why not PEEK if we are to choose a really good plastic? Well, okay besides price perhaps. :P
highly doubt companies will use any of those expensive plastics, they are hard to market toward the general audience, especially when the price is higher.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 21:57:31 »
I am typing on a keyboard with PBT (IBM Model F) that was manufactured during President Reagan's first term, and there is not much shine on the caps. I can't say how many hours of use it has sustained during that time, but old-school IBM keys last a LONG LONG TIME and still feel great.

On the other hand, I have ABS doubleshots a fraction of that age that still look great, but feel terrible because they are worn so slick.

Everyone is different, feel is more important than look, to me.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 22:43:24 »
If you still enjoy your slick doubleshots (like me) then they will probably take at least a decade to wear out (Depending on how much you use them). I have a moder F, like foghat.digs, and the keys show little (if any) shine. Even the spacebar has it's full texture. The keycaps do have a different texture compared with my new unicomp keycaps (also PBT). I prefer the older ones, but the new ones are also great.

Dyesub PBT is also not for the feint of wallet, but it is by far my favourite plastic for keycaps. I haven't tried Nylon (zowie, celeritas I think?) or Polycarbonate (feng's limited edition clear blanks) though.

Moulding metal is indeed usually pretty different than plastic, but PIM (Powder Injection Moulding) is still somewhat similar across metal, ceramic, and plastic, though oftentimes, you need a vacuum oven to prevent oxidation (burning).

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 17:40:37 »
here are some pictures of 2 shot key that i carved up; i don't think anyone can wear away this much of the plastic.
Also i know my photos are not up to GH standards.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 17:49:21 »
Yeah doubleshot legends do not wear out, for all real intents and purposes.  They do become shiny as has been pointed out.

PBT looks and feels great but dyesub legends just don't look as nice IMO.  It's a trade-off.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 17:51:57 »

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 18:52:52 »
If you have long finger nails over time even double shots can be worn down. I've seen some pretty bad double shot keycaps in my days.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 20:24:16 »
I am typing on a keyboard with PBT (IBM Model F) that was manufactured during President Reagan's first term, and there is not much shine on the caps. I can't say how many hours of use it has sustained during that time, but old-school IBM keys last a LONG LONG TIME and still feel great.

On the other hand, I have ABS doubleshots a fraction of that age that still look great, but feel terrible because they are worn so slick.

Everyone is different, feel is more important than look, to me.
Yeah, I use an old IBM POS at work, and I am 99% sure that it uses dyesub PBT. It feels great and the legends have not faded at all, despite the obvious sign of heavy usage. Also, they are not shiny at all.

The over-sized space bar stabilizers are broken though.

They are selling one just like it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-POS-Cash-Register-Keyboard-4690-3324-92F6271-/370616342526
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 02:12:01 »
I highly doubt anyone has manage to wear out double shots from normal usage. Shiny at most.

Anyways, here's a video:
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 03:42:18 »
And if they do get shiny, you can just sand them down a bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bry

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:36:28 »
A fourth option that you didn't mention is front printed ABS caps. Qtan usually has them on his ebay store in black and white.

I think he's out of stock of the white 104 set though, since I tried to order it a couple weeks ago and we had to agree to cancel the order. I haven't heard back yet on when he plans to have more. He has black sets in stock I think.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:36:46 »
I highly doubt anyone has manage to wear out double shots from normal usage. Shiny at most.

Anyways, here's a video:
It's not doubleshot, but if you use your computer enough, you will wear through.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 15:05:02 »
The keyboard of a gamer who retreats a lot!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 16:38:30 »
I have linked that keyboard many times. It was a medical transcriptionist's, NOT a gamer's.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 16:59:21 »
Ah, ok.

LOL

And anyway, we're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction!

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 18:44:34 »
I thought we had decided that image depicts damage from something other than normal wear?

The image came to mind when I first came across the thread. 

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 18:47:30 »
Typical Zerg player
I love Elzy

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 20:07:15 »
I have linked that keyboard many times. It was a medical transcriptionist's, NOT a gamer's.
FWIW, I knew this already. It's also lasered, not doubleshot.

Also, if they were gaming on it, clearly, they were playing portal, where you go faster backwards.
---
But that picture is one excellent reason why I do PBT over ABS. I disagree with others: The printing on PBT is in no way blurry.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:41:28 »
That picture is just silly.  And to each his own of course, but dyesub legends are not as crisp as doubleshot. :P

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 00:01:34 »
Looks like a Chicony rubber dome I know... the darkening in the laser-etched symbols is actually fading on some of the letter keys.

I could see the fill plastic having a different wear profile than the main key, resulting in feeling the characters raised or sunk slightly, but that's speculation.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Malerik

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 17:58:31 »
They get shiny.

Aren't Deck Boards doubleshot PBT? Mechanical Keyboard guide seems to claim they are, or at least TG3 uses the process, but then later on refers to them as a dye sub.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 18:33:17 »
I've personally seen double shot keycaps that looked a lot like that image. Wish I would have taken pictures.

It's rare and I'm sure takes years and years to do.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:23:39 »
Aren't Deck Boards doubleshot PBT? Mechanical Keyboard guide seems to claim they are, or at least TG3 uses the process, but then later on refers to them as a dye sub.

They're skirted with a negative dye-sub for legend.