Author Topic: Buying keyboards without the caps?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline LollyWater

Buying keyboards without the caps?
« on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 06:43:58 »
Looking at buying a board on the cheap as to upgrade to blank PBT caps straight away and it got me thinking. What's the point of buying a keyboard with caps making up a large chunk of the cost when I'll just be replacing them later on anyway?

Is this a thing?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Buying keyboards without the caps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 06:47:41 »
Looking at buying a board on the cheap as to upgrade to blank PBT caps straight away and it got me thinking. What's the point of buying a keyboard with caps making up a large chunk of the cost when I'll just be replacing them later on anyway?

Is this a thing?

Well, WASD sells keyboards without caps, but they're not actually cheap...

ANSI:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html

ISO:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-barebones-mechanical-keyboard-5959.html
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Buying keyboards without the caps?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 07:29:03 »
It seems a bunch of people around here buy keyboards, pop the caps for others and sell the stock ones. Then, later, if they sell the board, its without caps. So you can keep an eye on the classifieds for one.