Author Topic: Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Green)  (Read 57736 times)

Offline jabar

Re: Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Green)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 21:21:45 »
So, I have most of a week's mileage on this keyboard. Everything I felt upon first impressions is still true: the MX Green's stiffer spring makes this switch what the Blue switch never could be (unless you type extremely lightly, you will bottom out with Blues). I am still amazed by the solid construction Ducky provides. This will be my daily driver until I get the itch to try something more exotic or expensive (ahem, Topres).

As of this writing the stock at MechKeyboards is down to 5, so these boards will be gone soon enough.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Green)
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 00:32:07 »
So, I have most of a week's mileage on this keyboard. Everything I felt upon first impressions is still true: the MX Green's stiffer spring makes this switch what the Blue switch never could be (unless you type extremely lightly, you will bottom out with Blues). I am still amazed by the solid construction Ducky provides. This will be my daily driver until I get the itch to try something more exotic or expensive (ahem, Topres).

As of this writing the stock at MechKeyboards is down to 5, so these boards will be gone soon enough.

Well I emailed them about a out of alignment Scroll Lock key and they told me to send it in to get it replaced with a new one... hope they don't forget their promise... Lol. But seriously, the most solid keyboard I've felt yet. Absolutely in love with this thing... if I can find a set of green PBT's I'd throw them on and name my board The Hulk. Green on the inside, green on the outside.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 14:07:36 »
I also want to thank you for such an amazing review. I prefer my FK-2001 because the white alps (simplified) are stiffer and extremely clicky. I'm excited to try out the MX Greens.

Offline TheShining

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 16:11:59 »
cool board for sure

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 22:30:23 »
Thank you for the review and pictures!  Do you use your keyboard mostly for gaming or typing?  Are you a heavy handed typer at all? How do you think these would be tiring to use for FPS gaming?

I'm honored that your first post is a response to mine :P

Let me start out by saying that I have always thought that the Cherry MX Black switch is the best for games because of its stiffness and linear press (no interrupted feeling/sound and fast actuation). As for the Cherry MX Blue switch, it's my favorite typing keyboard because of the crisp tactile response and light press which allows for fast and accurate typing.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let me try to explain why I think that the Cherry MX Green switch is a great balanced switch right in between Blues and Blacks. This makes them great for gaming AND typing much like the Cherry MX Red switch. IMO, this keyboard can be seen as the exact opposite of the Cherry MX Red with the same appeal as the Reds.  Before the Greens, I have used the Reds as a balance between a light switch of Blues (making them great for fast typing) and a linear press of the Blacks (making them great for gaming). This keyboard feels even stiffer than the Blacks but not in a bad way! The extra stiffness strangely makes the tactile switch bearable for FPS games and the actuation is higher than the blues so you won't have any delays in response (seeing that you don't usually spam the same key in FPS games). For typing, this keyboard is great for honing your typing skills because the switch is stiff enough that each key press is deliberate which is confirmed by the clicky actuation. For these reason, as long as you are pressing the right key, you shouldn't have any accidental key presses and every typo is your mistake. There is a drawback though... amazing as they feel, the switch is as stiff as they get and this can lead to fatigue for some people after long sessions of typing (but not for gaming imo). I have also noticed that my average WPM was somewhat lower than that I get on my Blues. On my Greens, I get about 98 WPM average vs. my Blues, which I get about 110 WPM on average. Don't let this deter you though because for many, this decrease in speed comes with greater accuracy.

TL;DR  The Cherry MX Green is a greatly balanced switch with the appeals of the Cherry MX Blue and Blacks. They have the best of both worlds, making them great for gaming and typing but aren't really specialized in either much like the Cherry MX Reds. Don't let this hinder you though! Grab this keyboard, you won't regret it :D

You make a great salesman! ;)  I just bought mine today before they sold out- thanks again for the informative response!   
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 22:41:23 »
You make a great salesman! ;)  I just bought mine today before they sold out- thanks again for the informative response!   

Glad to hear you made the right choice :) You're going to absolutely love it! Thing is a tank!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 23:13:00 by VesperSAINT »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 04:31:47 »
I also want to thank you for such an amazing review. I prefer my FK-2001 because the white alps (simplified) are stiffer and extremely clicky. I'm excited to try out the MX Greens.

You're very welcome (assuming you're talking to me :P ). I just saw your thread on the classified! Makes me want to buy one of your Model M's!... but i'm broke nowwww :P

Offline antonioyon

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:30:40 »
I got my Ducky yesterday. It's a dream to type on. The greens are not too stiff. I'm replacing a Razer Blackwidow ultimate with blues and the transition is seamless. The biggest difference seems to be in a certain keys like the backspace which has a certain "thud" quality to it rather than the "clack" of the other keys. Not bad but just different. The PBT keycaps feel great and hopefully the lettering on the front of the keys will reduce on the visual wear and tear. My scroll lock key is ever so slightly rotated and it's annoying because of the the LED panel it's very noticeable. Otherwise, it's a really quality product in terms of visual and tactile appeal. The noise levels are quite acceptable, I'm not bottoming out as much with the blues either.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:57:04 »
I can picture the "thud" - I get something like that switching to blacks from blues, so I suspect it is a consequence of the stiffer spring.  The stiffer springs would also be contributing towards the decrease in bottoming out.

All hail stiffer springs :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:25:53 »
I got my Ducky yesterday. It's a dream to type on. The greens are not too stiff. I'm replacing a Razer Blackwidow ultimate with blues and the transition is seamless. The biggest difference seems to be in a certain keys like the backspace which has a certain "thud" quality to it rather than the "clack" of the other keys. Not bad but just different. The PBT keycaps feel great and hopefully the lettering on the front of the keys will reduce on the visual wear and tear. My scroll lock key is ever so slightly rotated and it's annoying because of the the LED panel it's very noticeable. Otherwise, it's a really quality product in terms of visual and tactile appeal. The noise levels are quite acceptable, I'm not bottoming out as much with the blues either.

Lol, looks like it wasn't only my board that had the slightly rotated Scroll Lock key... Looks like I'll be receiving another keyboard with a rotated key :(

I can picture the "thud" - I get something like that switching to blacks from blues, so I suspect it is a consequence of the stiffer spring.  The stiffer springs would also be contributing towards the decrease in bottoming out.

All hail stiffer springs :)

Lol... that feel when I type on my Reds right after the Greens :P I feel like I'm trying to break the steel backboard...

Offline jabar

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 18:30:56 »
Lol, looks like it wasn't only my board that had the slightly rotated Scroll Lock key... Looks like I'll be receiving another keyboard with a rotated key :(
Unless it's something very subtle, my Scroll Lock key seems fine.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 21:07:50 »
Unless it's something very subtle, my Scroll Lock key seems fine.

Yeh, it's a pretty subtle thing. If you look at my pictures you'll slightly see the rotated Scroll Lock key. Oh well, hopefully this next keyboard won't have any problems. The previous one was perfect except for that one keycap... worried the new keyboard will have different issues... :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:16:29 »
I hadn't noticed.

Is the stem of the green switch twisted too?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:53:41 »
I hadn't noticed.

Is the stem of the green switch twisted too?

I believe it's actually the stem of the keycap and not the switch itself. I put the Print Screen keycap on the Scroll Lock switch and saw that it was on there straight. I took pictures of this and sent it to MechanicalKeyboards.com but they insisted I just send the whole thing in instead of just sending me replacement keycaps. I'm assuming they don't have replacement keycaps for this keyboard because it's a Limited Edition board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 23:03:10 »
You'd think they would just send out a replacement keycap.  Oh well.

Then you would wonder what they will do with the entire keyboard if/when you do return it if it only needs one keycap replaced.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 23:55:13 »
You'd think they would just send out a replacement keycap.  Oh well.

Then you would wonder what they will do with the entire keyboard if/when you do return it if it only needs one keycap replaced.

Exactly... I'm assuming they'd just repackage and sell seeing that it's still in brand new condition... while praying that it doesn't meet an semi-OCD owner like me. Oh well, I would like to say I made it up to them by selling them about 3 more of these through this thread :P

Offline Truday

• Grunt Life
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 03:09:31 »
Ruh-Roh! Only 1 left in stock! Wonder who's going to get it...
Currently own:
Noppoo Choc Mini Noppoo Choc Mini, CM QuickFire TK,CM QuickFire Rapid
CM QuickFire Rapid

Offline TwistedMentat

• It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 05:41:03 »
I ordered mine on Saturday when the stock was at five.  By the next afternoon they were sold out.  Monday evening and all day Tuesday there was one more in stock, but now it's gone, too.  Mine should be arriving later today, and I'll be looking for the rotated Scroll Lock cap -- thanks for the heads-up VesperSAINT.  I'd probably have been too excited about my first mechanical board to even notice the defect until a month or two after its arrival.  And yes, they should send you something special for your salesmanship.  Your review and pictures helped me make up my mind.  Otherwise, I'd be going another $50 into debt on a Deck with MX Clears (although I still want one of those, too!). 

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 11:36:49 »
I ordered mine on Saturday when the stock was at five.  By the next afternoon they were sold out.  Monday evening and all day Tuesday there was one more in stock, but now it's gone, too.  Mine should be arriving later today, and I'll be looking for the rotated Scroll Lock cap -- thanks for the heads-up VesperSAINT.  I'd probably have been too excited about my first mechanical board to even notice the defect until a month or two after its arrival.  And yes, they should send you something special for your salesmanship.  Your review and pictures helped me make up my mind.  Otherwise, I'd be going another $50 into debt on a Deck with MX Clears (although I still want one of those, too!). 

I do what I can :P I'm glad I was able to help you decide on this keyboard. I think you'll love it and it'll be awhile before you'll start craving something else. The Scroll Lock thing is very subtle and may not be noticeable to many. I'm just really anal so don't let that bother you if you do get it like that. I actually wish I just got over it and kept my keyboard... I'm here waiting for my replacement now :P Thankfully I have other boards to rely on until my new one arrives.

I've actually really wanted to MX Clear keyboard too but all of them have been too expensive to buy :( I think I might just save up for the new Ducky with Light Greys but I get the feeling Clears will feel better... I hope WASD v2 has a Clear variation.... One can always hope...

Offline Malerik

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:16:59 »
Still waiting on mine. Been listed as ready for International Dispatch for 4 days, but seems to be just sitting there :(

Offline TwistedMentat

• It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:00:20 »
This is pretty long-winded, so there's a Tl;Dr at the bottom if you're lazy short on time.

Well, my board arrived a couple hours ago and I wanted to convey my impressions.  This is the first mechanical keyboard I've purchased, but I gained a couple cumulative hours of experience on someone else's Rosewill RK-9100BR (the "BR" meaning that it has MX Brown switches).  I'll talk about it before getting to the Ducky, so you know where I'm coming from.  I didn't care for the Rosewill.  The Browns are just too light and seemed gritty rather than tactile; the coating on the keys (it's a back-lit model) didn't feel right to me -- too dry, like a chalkboard, or matte black car primer that's been in the sun for two years without receiving its top coat; and the overall feel of typing on it was, for lack of a better term, "hollow," though I've read that this is a typical assessment of Browns made by those who are accustomed to rubber dome keyboards and is related to bottoming out on a plate-mounted switch.  The minimal "dirty" tactile feedback, however, is something that I think would always make me crinkle my nose at the MX Browns.  For light switches, Reds or Ergo-Clears would be a welcome alternative to the Browns' middle ground.  That is, of course, if I could learn to type on the keys rather than attack them.  I bottomed out constantly on the Rosewill, and strongly feel that some O-rings or Landing Pads would improve it immensely; but in the end, I think I'm just a heavy-handed typist in need of a switch that offers more resistance.  I was delighted, then, to see this Ducky introduced with the MX Green switches, but apprehensive due to my general lack of experience.

My fears that the 80cN actuation threshold would be too much are now put to rest.  When I die, I will be buried with this keyboard!

Regarding construction and materials, the board itself is remarkably sturdy.  I could easily use this to bludgeon my neighbor's annoying yappy dog into a permanent silence, but I love animals (usually more than I love humans) and I don't want to have to clean blood and fur off my new computer peripheral.  The texture on the touch surface of the PBT key caps is great -- just the right amount of friction to provide grip while still allowing fluid motion.

As for the switches and the typing experience, the transition from my previous keyboards to this one will be totally seamless and enjoyable.  There won't be much of a learning curve; nothing to get used to.  I'm already in love!  :-*  My previous keyboard experiences have been with (1) the generic standard-issue cheapie that came with this desktop PC; (2) a Logitech Wave which replaced that one and lasted a little over three years; and (3) a G-110 that was sitting in the Ducky's place this morning.  I also have a Lenovo laptop, and although I really like the "crunchy" keyboard that Lenovo's are known for, I wanted more screen real estate and hooked up a 19" monitor to it... which then meant I'd also need a keyboard and mouse.  Last year (before I "discovered" mechanical keyboards) I picked up a Logitech Illuminated keyboard.  It has scissor keys and a very low profile, making it quite similar to a laptop keyboard, and typing on it is quite nice, but the key caps are made of really pathetic, flimsy plastic.  "How flimsy and pathetic?" you ask.  Ya know those SOLO brand cups you get beer in at a party?  The ones that are red on the outside and white on the inside?  The keys on the illuminated Logitech feel like that crap, but just a tiny bit thicker.  And you don't even get any beer.  Very disappointing considering the cost of the unit and the fact that the rest of the board is actually pretty nice.  I was interested in MX Clears because of that board (and would probably love Light Greys) -- it has very pronounced tactile feedback and is fun to type on.  My new Ducky, however, is superior to all of them, though this comes as no surprise.

The MX Green switches are in fact quite easy for me to actuate, but the difference between them and the MX Browns on the Rosewill I encountered previously is very, VERY noticeable!  The Browns feel like they'd actuate in response to a hard stare, but these Green babies push back against my fingertips with a deliberate, springy pressure and provide very satisfying audible and tactile feedback.  If I were writing up an advertisement for keyboards with MX Green switches, I'd use adjectives like "Tight, Smooth Action" "Crisp Response," "Snappy," "Precise," and "Exquisitely Refined."  Also, I can relate to what VesperSAINT mentioned in his review about the increased stiffness at the bottom of these switches.  Upon reading that, I was afraid I might find them "muddy," as some people have reported regarding Clears, but I wouldn't use that term to describe Greens at all.  After the audible click and tactile bump that denotes actuation of the switch, the resistance does increase dramatically, but does not become what I would ever call mushy or squishy.  The range of resistance offered by the spring in the Green switch is easy to notice when I press a key very slowly: if I stop depressing the key immediately after it actuates and then begin to reduce the downward force I'm applying, the force with which the switch presses back is rather gentle; but if I continue pressing to the end of the key stroke (i.e., bottom out), the upward force applied to my fingertip by the switch is much greater, much more... urgent.  Thus, MX Green switches are not suitable at all for games or applications that require the user to hold down a key(s), but the strong resistance might make double-tapping quite easy, though I don't think I'm qualified to assess hysteresis, nor can I find a force graph.  The effect during rapid touch-typing, however, is that this essentially solves my problem with the lightness of the MX Browns.  The extra resistance that occurs in the Green switches after the click-bump is the perfect signal to someone just starting out with mechanical keyboards after spending years on rubber domes that they are approaching the bottom of the down-stroke, and that it's time to ease off and move on to the next key.  In time, the click-bump itself will be the transition signal, as it's meant to be.  I still bottom out quite often, probably due to my lack of experience, but it isn't as jarring and noisy as it was with the Browns of the Rosewill; I'm more accurate and not as clumsy.  It won't be long before I learn to type on this keyboard without bottoming out at all.  At that point, I may find the lighter switches more tolerable, but I doubt I'll ever stop loving the Green!  (I may be new at GH, but I've been surfing the forums enough over the last week or two to recognize some of my own kind here  ;) )

The Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition PBT with Cherry MX Green switches exudes presence & personality when I type on it; it engages the user in a warm and welcoming way.  It speaks to me.  What does it say?  "Don't just pound on me like a typical, bland input device; like I'm some drugged-out, disinterested ****.  That's not me!  I want you to interact with me.  I'm a sprightly, 20-something nymphomaniac who eats Ecstasy like Skittles and I want your fingers ALL.  OVER.  ME!"

OK, maybe I've crossed into the territory of being a little too much of a fanboi.  Sorry.  I'll calm down in a couple days.

[/wall of text]

Tl;Dr -- If you're contemplating the purchase of a keyboard with MX Greens, stop thinking about it and get one now.  You will not regret it!  I especially recommend them to those who've exclusively used rubber domes in the past because you can bottom out on a board like this without getting the feeling that you're abusing it and injuring your own fingers.  I also feel that MX Greens (or Light Greys) are great for newbs (like me) to learn how to not bottom out any more.  Spectacular for typing, but may be problematic for some games.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 18:00:25 »
An enthusiastic review :)

Now you've got me wanting one even more ...

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 19:43:03 »
mine is at the post office since my lazy postal worker, decided to not try to deliver it like their supposed to!

Unless of course  I owe customs charges on it, but it doesn't mention it on my pick-up slip.

I get to compare it to my Leopold Clear, and a Ghetto Green QF.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2012, 19:50:23 by Ahlitah »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 20:56:52 »
:) Nice observations TwistedMentat! I can only imagine how exciting it is to type on the greens as your new mechanical keyboard! :D Unfortunately, imo, when it comes to stiff switches, it won't get any better :( You may only find more with buckling springs but I personally prefer Greens.

The effect during rapid touch-typing, however, is that this essentially solves my problem with the lightness of the MX Browns.  The extra resistance that occurs in the Green switches after the click-bump is the perfect signal to someone just starting out with mechanical keyboards after spending years on rubber domes that they are approaching the bottom of the down-stroke, and that it's time to ease off and move on to the next key.  In time, the click-bump itself will be the transition signal, as it's meant to be.  I still bottom out quite often, probably due to my lack of experience, but it isn't as jarring and noisy as it was with the Browns of the Rosewill; I'm more accurate and not as clumsy.  It won't be long before I learn to type on this keyboard without bottoming out at all.  At that point, I may find the lighter switches more tolerable, but I doubt I'll ever stop loving the Green!  (I may be new at GH, but I've been surfing the forums enough over the last week or two to recognize some of my own kind here  ;) )

I think a comparison of Greens with Browns is probably not the best approach but it's what you had to work with so I don't blame you. If anything, you focused on the right things. However, I think after you've grown accustomed to the stiff MX Green switches, you're going to have a much harder time not bottoming out on lighter switches such as blues, browns, and reds (especially the tactile switches). I think it's always harder to transition from a stiff switch to a lighter switch because you can't control your strength. For example, when I first went back to my Blues after a week of typing on the Greens, I had a hard time typing accurately and fast because my fingers were confused with the feel. I was losing momentum because my fingers were expecting to stop pressing after a more work but with the Blues I'd have already reached the bottom with half the strength required, and therefore I'd prematurely have to force myself to make the next keystroke. However, this transition phase only takes a day or two with enough experience (my first mechanical keyboard was Blues).

I don't think you'll ever find yourself going to Blues after the Greens. It's just a really hard transition and you may find yourself feeling that there's something lacking in the Blues, like the feeling people get with any other tactile keyboard after having typed on Buckling Springs for years. However,  I do believe that tactile-bump and linear keyboards still have a lot to provide in terms of a newer/maybe even better experience. If you end up wanting a lighter switch for gaming/typing, I'd definitely recommend MX Reds and for tactile-bump I'd say keep your interest in MX Clears and Light Greys.

Welcome to the jungle man... with this being your first mechanical keyboard purchase, you've just entered a new world of heavy spending and an addiction to button pressing :P

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 00:55:10 »
I've been playing around with my board for the past 5 days, and intermittently been lurking on this thread. Coming from my daily driver Leopold with clears, I do say it's been a work out  :)). I've tinkered with my friend's Filco with blues but never really enjoyed it. Is a 5cn activation force that much of a difference betwen blue and clear switches? For me, I'd say yes. Greens feel different but in a good way. After nearly a week, greens have been enjoyable so far. This is my first Ducky (probably won't be the last) and first board with a dip switch so I feel a bit spoiled  ;D. If it wasn't for this thread, I probably wouldn't have purchased this board and would've soldered greens on a poker or something, so thank you guys!

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 13:20:40 »
okay just got mine.

Its weird, but not all the keys are making the satisfying 'click' sound. Such as when I press the 'R' key, no click. there are a number of other keys like this as well.

It seems to 'click' if I press on it lightly, but when typing fast and hard, it makes no click at all. It seems to be a bunch of random keys doing this.

The 'L' key makes no click at all period. just a dull thud.

It this normal?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 13:30:36 by Ahlitah »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 14:56:10 »
It is nor abnormal.  A few people have reported that with blues - the keys register but without the tactilc click.

The Ducky with blues I am typing on now has that - the up arrow only clicks if I press it a certain way, and X too.

Try pressing the key from different angles.  But as long as it registers it should be fine.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:26:06 »
okay just got mine.

Its weird, but not all the keys are making the satisfying 'click' sound. Such as when I press the 'R' key, no click. there are a number of other keys like this as well.

It seems to 'click' if I press on it lightly, but when typing fast and hard, it makes no click at all. It seems to be a bunch of random keys doing this.

The 'L' key makes no click at all period. just a dull thud.

It this normal?

:( I'm scared now... I should've never let my first one go.

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:44:57 »
Hmm..

it just feels weird... I had another blue board, and bnow one with 'Ghetto' Greens and all the keys make a nice click.

I'm now debating if I should be contacting the vendor and see what they can do...

I payed ALOT in shipping to get it here, if I have to pay to ship it back its going to cost too much...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 17:04:14 »
As long as the keys register, at least you can use the keyboard.

FWIW a couple of my keys that did not click now do click sometimes.  The up arrow clicks most times.

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 17:12:57 »
All the keys register. It just feels really weird to type on.

I'm typing away enjoying the click and feedback of the greens, then I hit a 'thud' key and go whoa!! that's not right, and it breaks off my typing rhythm.

I just sent mechnicalkeyboards.com an email and see what they can do, if anything seeing as the boards are all sold out now.

Offline Malerik

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 17:44:21 »
Just got mine. First two things I looked at. Twisted Scroll Lock ? Nope! Keys not registering the click? Nope! Phew. Its is so wonderful, takes up so much less space on my desk in comparison to my Unicomp that it might as well be tenkeyless. Worst part it has to go back into the box and be wrapped for xmas. Only way the wife would let me buy one.  ;D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 17:47:50 »
Just got mine. First two things I looked at. Twisted Scroll Lock ? Nope! Keys not registering the click? Nope! Phew. Its is so wonderful, takes up so much less space on my desk in comparison to my Unicomp that it might as well be tenkeyless. Worst part it has to go back into the box and be wrapped for xmas. Only way the wife would let me buy one.  ;D

Congrats on receiving a perfect keyboard! Lol, you sure do know how to work around the wife :) Skills.

Offline jabar

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:01:53 »
Heh, the keyboard is perfect for me (I swap between my Noppoo Blue for gaming as the MX Greens are tough to sustain). Just noticed that one of my double shot ABS WASD keys provided was chipped. Hopefully MechKeyboards can replace this...

Phantom 7bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 05:38:08 »
*sigh* so it's been a good 3-4 days since mechanicalkeyboards has received my keyboard... still no word back from them about them shipping my new one... I called them before shipping it off to make sure they put one aside for me before they sold out and they told me that they confirmed that they did put one aside for me but what is taking them so long to get back to me??? :( I want my keyboard alreadyyyyyy~ Just send me a flawless keyboard plzzz so I can just drown in the pleasure of typing on MX Green switches.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 20:40:24 »
I've been loving mine so much I forgot to come back and check on this thread  :D  The only flaw on mine was a misshapen piece of clear plastic that allows the backlight on the Capslock to show through...it fell out when I first opened the board.  I called Caleb at mechanicalkeyboards and he said he'd send me a new Capslock key, but I haven't received it yet.  I'll follow up tomorrow.  Either way, the board is fantastic.  I won't bore you with details, but I agree with all of the glowing praise in this thread, and I'm happy to report tht I haven't noticed any issues with the switches.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 21:09:36 »
I've been loving mine so much I forgot to come back and check on this thread  :D  The only flaw on mine was a misshapen piece of clear plastic that allows the backlight on the Capslock to show through...it fell out when I first opened the board.  I called Caleb at mechanicalkeyboards and he said he'd send me a new Capslock key, but I haven't received it yet.  I'll follow up tomorrow.  Either way, the board is fantastic.  I won't bore you with details, but I agree with all of the glowing praise in this thread, and I'm happy to report tht I haven't noticed any issues with the switches.

I actually complained about the LED window protruding from the PBT keycap to mechanicalkeyboards too but then they told me that every keyboard had that issue so if you do get a replacement, please let me know because they told me otherwise.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:42:59 »
Well ****, I've been using my replaced Ducky Greens (first one had a out-of-alignment Scroll Lock key) for about 2 weeks now and it's been good to me but today I randomly decided to check all my switches again and my numpad no.6 key doesn't have a click... It's like more like a broken MX brown switch... the key still registers but the switch is messed up... I can live with it because I don't use the numpad everyday but ugh... What to do... RMA will cost money too...

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 20:46:07 »
Well ****, I've been using my replaced Ducky Greens (first one had a out-of-alignment Scroll Lock key) for about 2 weeks now and it's been good to me but today I randomly decided to check all my switches again and my numpad no.6 key doesn't have a click... It's like more like a broken MX brown switch... the key still registers but the switch is messed up... I can live with it because I don't use the numpad everyday but ugh... What to do... RMA will cost money too...

Shhhhhhh there's nothing to see here!             Seriously though I'm sorry you're having issues with this thing.  Besides the misfitting window on my caps lock key (they sent me a new one but it has the same issue), I absolutely LOVE it, and  haven't had any switch issues yet.  I'm actually considering buying another board with MX whites because I love the actuation force, but want to see if the white sliders feel better than the greens.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:02:28 »
Shhhhhhh there's nothing to see here!             Seriously though I'm sorry you're having issues with this thing.  Besides the misfitting window on my caps lock key (they sent me a new one but it has the same issue), I absolutely LOVE it, and  haven't had any switch issues yet.  I'm actually considering buying another board with MX whites because I love the actuation force, but want to see if the white sliders feel better than the greens.

Lol! I love this keyboard too (hence the long review I did on my first one) but I'm kinda anal with consistency so I'm kinda ticked about this. I contacted them about the Caps Lock key too but they said that every keyboard had that issue so no solution there :(

Tell me how the whites feel if you ever get one and maybe I'll switch over to that one depending on how different it is... or maybe I'll just get the CM QF with Greens to replace this one. Hehe... maybe I'll just try to forget about it................ nope not gonna work.

The cheapest solution would be to find a soldering iron and swap that switch with another one on the board.  Perhaps while doing that you could try using a different Blue stem with the existing spring to see how uniform it is.

Yeh... I wish I already owned a soldering kit.. *sigh* It'd probably be cheaper to just find the Ducky RMA person in the U.S. *sigh* Does anyone have information on this supposed Ducky RMA person in the USA?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:15:07 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:57:16 »

well at least you only have 1 key that doesn't click. I have 3!! the 'R' key, the '2' on the number row, and the 'L' key.

Ducky said they would RMA, but still waiting to hear about details.

Ducky doesn't seem to like to answer emails! Last I hear from them was on the 15th!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:37:16 »

well at least you only have 1 key that doesn't click. I have 3!! the 'R' key, the '2' on the number row, and the 'L' key.

Ducky doesn't seem to like to answer emails! Last I hear from them was on the 15th!

Can you PM the email/contact information of the Ducky RMA services in the U.S. so that I can get in touch with them? Thanks!

I'm a fan of Ducky keyboards and have been for a couple years now (my first mechanical keyboard was a Ducky DK9008 with Cherry MX Blues which to this day runs like a champion). However, my friend's last order of Ducky keyboards (which includes my Greens) has been on the iffy side. My friend ordered a Ducky Shine II with MX blues and my Ducky with MX greens a month ago. My first Ducky greens had an out-of-alignment Scroll Lock key and the LED window on the Caps Lock key was not flush on the PBT keycap (was told this issue was normal on all Ducky PBT keycaps), and my friend's blues had a broken tactile switch (like my numpad no.6) on his R key. We returned both keyboards so that MechanicalKeyboards could replace them. Now I have a Ducky green with a broken 6 switch and my friend's new Ducky Shine 2 has 2 (S and E) broken switches. 30 days is up so we can't return it and need to RMA or just live with it. I can understand that this may not be Ducky's fault (nor Mechanicalkeyboards) because they may not manufacture the switches itself but it does bring somewhat of an awareness of how hardware quality control in many companies has dropped in the recent years (same friend had to get his Steelseries Sensei replaced 5 times within a week 2 weeks ago because of button and mousewheel issues)  :( I still love this keyboard to bits and pieces but just this one switch :P

NOTE: I go to the "keyboards" section on the forum to see that the the first thread is this one of me complaining of switch problems and the second thread is someone else complaining about their Ducky Shine 2 TKL. Hopefully this is a coincidence...
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 December 2012, 22:46:47 by VesperSAINT »

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 02:19:36 »

Can you PM the email/contact information of the Ducky RMA services in the U.S. so that I can get in touch with them? Thanks!

I'm a fan of Ducky keyboards and have been for a couple years now (my first mechanical keyboard was a Ducky DK9008 with Cherry MX Blues which to this day runs like a champion). However, my friend's last order of Ducky keyboards (which includes my Greens) has been on the iffy side. My friend ordered a Ducky Shine II with MX blues and my Ducky with MX greens a month ago. My first Ducky greens had an out-of-alignment Scroll Lock key and the LED window on the Caps Lock key was not flush on the PBT keycap (was told this issue was normal on all Ducky PBT keycaps), and my friend's blues had a broken tactile switch (like my numpad no.6) on his R key. We returned both keyboards so that MechanicalKeyboards could replace them. Now I have a Ducky green with a broken 6 switch and my friend's new Ducky Shine 2 has 2 (S and E) broken switches. 30 days is up so we can't return it and need to RMA or just live with it. I can understand that this may not be Ducky's fault (nor Mechanicalkeyboards) because they may not manufacture the switches itself but it does bring somewhat of an awareness of how hardware quality control in many companies has dropped in the recent years (same friend had to get his Steelseries Sensei replaced 5 times within a week 2 weeks ago because of button and mousewheel issues)  :( I still love this keyboard to bits and pieces but just this one switch :P

NOTE: I go to the "keyboards" section on the forum to see that the the first thread is this one of me complaining of switch problems and the second thread is someone else complaining about their Ducky Shine 2 TKL. Hopefully this is a coincidence...

Man, so sorry to hear about that Vesper.... I bought the 9008G2 Pro Green board (mostly based on your review on this thread), and it has been a sublime experience thus far.  I doublechecked that all the keys click/register and made sure my scroll lock key wasn't misaligned, so far so good.  The talk in this thread does have me a little nervous, however.

For the record, my caps lock key window is a little off as well.

I hope you get everything situated, buddy.
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 02:52:40 »
i almost bought the ducky with greens, but opted to be cheap and get the QFR with greens.

i loooooooove it so much. I hate the feeling of blues, they just feel so wobbly to me when i really get into a typing groove.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 03:25:56 »
Man, so sorry to hear about that Vesper.... I bought the 9008G2 Pro Green board (mostly based on your review on this thread), and it has been a sublime experience thus far.  I doublechecked that all the keys click/register and made sure my scroll lock key wasn't misaligned, so far so good.  The talk in this thread does have me a little nervous, however.

For the record, my caps lock key window is a little off as well.

I hope you get everything situated, buddy.

Thanks! I'm glad that your keyboard doesn't have any of the problems that I had :) Don't get me wrong, my initial opinions on the keyboard from my review hasn't changed. It's an awesome keyboard... with just a lil' bad luck, I guess :P I wouldn't worry too much if I were you though. My friend and I are probably just outliers.

i almost bought the ducky with greens, but opted to be cheap and get the QFR with greens.

i loooooooove it so much. I hate the feeling of blues, they just feel so wobbly to me when i really get into a typing groove.

Stiff tactile switches all the way!

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 09:04:42 »

Hmm I don't know if i'm allowed too. I got the contact info directly from MK.  They asked them to email me directly.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 10:34:11 »
Hmm I don't know if i'm allowed too. I got the contact info directly from MK.  They asked them to email me directly.

Don't worry about it then :) Please give me an update on how it all went down and your experience once you get it fixed. Thank!

Offline remedyhalopc

Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Green)
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:33:23 »
IMO Greens are great for gaming. They spring back up so strongly double tapping is never a problem for me.

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 11:55:58 »
After some of you who have typed on CM / Ducky Greens for a while do Ghetto Greens really feel the same or are there some differences?

They feel a tiny bit stiffer then the 'Ghetto's'

Offline Ahlitah

Hmm Ducky support here is not so good.

After finally getting a reply to my RMA (had to send a reminder email to get one!) they send me an address to ship it to in the US, but not WHO to ship it to!

Guess i'm supposed to make up a name to ship it to! maybe Ducky?

Now I got to wait FOREVER for a reply to that, and what I need to include. The keyboard obviously, but do I need to include the original boxm cables, etc? and will I get it back?

sigh, now i'm sacred if I sent it in, WILL I ACTUALLY get my keyboard back?

At this rate, I might get this fixed by this time NEXT year, and maybe more boards will Greens around....