Author Topic: Which Back-Lit MX Brown?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline SolidSnakeUS

Which Back-Lit MX Brown?
« on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 08:42:28 »
This is my first post on the main area (outside of Great Finds), so sorry if I don't do this correctly haha.

Anyways, I'm currently in a dilemma on which board I should choose. Go by the idea of cost-to-quality ratio (more than features). If the cost-to-quality if similar, then go with features. I'm just asking to see if it's worth the price or not to go with something like a Ducky Shine II ($148 at MK, and by the way, these are all going to be illuminated MX Brown keyboards).

Ducky Shine II vs. CM Storm Trigger vs. Rosewill RK-9100BR

If there are any other keyboards you'd like to suggest over these, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Which Back-Lit MX Brown?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 08:49:57 »
In all honesty, you won't find too much difference in quality between those boards. However, the Ducky uses Cherry-style stabilizers, whereas the others use Costar-style. That significantly alters the feel of the stabilized keys (Shifts, Space, Enter, Backspace, Num0, Num+, NumEnter). For some, this is a non-issue, others a deal breaker. Just be aware.

(Apparently there's a way to modify the Cherry-style stabilizers to make them as snappy as the Costar style, you should be able to search for it).

Offline SolidSnakeUS

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 08:51:41 »
Wasn't there some stupid rumor that the Rosewill ones had iOne parts and not costar? Unless that's false? I mean, the CM Storm Trigger is still $90 on Amazon. Should I just got for that?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:01:00 »
I've personally never used one, so I can't comment on experience, but I've heard from a number of GH'ers that it's a solid Costar manufactured board. It's got macro keys and backlighting, if you're in to that kind of thing, and for $90 you really can't go wrong. I can't think of another backlit Costar manufactured board off the top of my head. Regardless, if you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it on the Classifieds forum for almost full price (assuming you don't use it too much).

Offline SolidSnakeUS

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:04:33 »
Thanks for the help :D! Good to know there are people that are friendly and respond fast haha. Funny though, I do know a lot of how keyboards (mech ones)... but never owned one lol.

If anyone wants to still add their 2 cents, just throw something on here. My ears are always open :D.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:13:12 by SolidSnakeUS »

Offline discomatt

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:39:46 »
CM is going to release the Quickfire TK in browns for North America (w/ white LED + backplate) come around January.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36137.msg714616#msg714616

It's a pretty nice form factor if you wanted a smaller keyboard w/ numpad.

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfiretk/
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:43:12 by discomatt »

Offline firebt

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 14:22:13 »
If you have the money, get the Ducky.  It's worth it.  The CM is great, don't get me wrong, but they don't build their stuff in small batches the way that Ducky would.  Also, Ducky is significantly more rare, and the backlight effects are pretty superb.   It doesn't look like a gaming keyboard either, so you can get away with it at the office probably as well.  The CM is nice, I've felt it, but the quality on the Ducky is better, IMO.  It just depends, I like the Cherry stabilizers and everything being relatively standard.

Offline SolidSnakeUS

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:05:28 »
Since this is my first mechanical keyboard, would Costars be just fine to start out with?

Offline firebt

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:38:30 »
Yeah, I think that would work fine.  I think you can pick up a brand new one for about $100.  Personally though, if you're looking for something nice and you know what you want and its not out of your budget, just go for it.  You'll regret it later, and it'll end up costing more in the long run to get it all in the end anyway.  So yeah.  That's just my two cents.  I'm not saying go off and buy a $500 custom keyboard with aluminum case and custom doubleshots, but you get the point. 

Offline SolidSnakeUS

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 10:01:06 »
Is the Ducky Shine II the only (possibly) illuminated keyboard for the price that has Cherry Stabilizers?

Offline firebt

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 16:53:27 »
I think so.  I'm not sure if the CM does, but I know for a fact that Ducky is all standard stuff, which is great because I really like customizing my keyboard.  In fact, I just got a whole 104 keyset of KBC semi-clear grey keys, and they look super sweet with reactive mode because it shines through so much more.  I kept the Ducky spacebar though, I like how the Ducky shine lights up.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 16:55:25 »
Trigger is costar built but Cherry Stabs....

It was before they had the capability to use their own stabilizers with LED lighting.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 17:28:21 »
Trigger is costar built but Cherry Stabs....

It was before they had the capability to use their own stabilizers with LED lighting.

Interesting to know... So, it means that before the CM Trigger was released, Costar stabilizers were unable to have LED lighting but iOne stabilizers, which were similar, could do it?
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:29:45 »
The stabilizer wire needs to be routed under the plate (or below that location in plateless boards) in order to avoid the LED.  The 'jog' in standard Costar stabilizers is enough to clear the switch housing but not an LED.  Making that jog bigger causes the stab wire to interfere with the key cap. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline firebt

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:49:49 »
The stabilizer wire needs to be routed under the plate (or below that location in plateless boards) in order to avoid the LED.  The 'jog' in standard Costar stabilizers is enough to clear the switch housing but not an LED.  Making that jog bigger causes the stab wire to interfere with the key cap.

Interesting.  The LED is so small though, and already has a spot for it in all Cherry switches...must have been a very small interference that really messed with the switch overall.